News

1 May 2018: Daily flights Canberra
to Singapore and the world

Ahmed Alzaabi to plead guilty, but not on the booze

By johnboy - 13 August 2008 75

[First filed: July 18, 2008 @ 14:10]

The Canberra Times informs that the drink driving United Arab Emirates’ cadet who killed another ADFA cadet last month in a ghastly accident, Ahmed Alzaabi, 24, is going to plead guilty to the culpable driving charges on condition that the drink driving be dropped. (Also with an amazing photo of the wreckage).

Presumably that will save him having to apply for asylum here.

I’m not sure how much sympathy I have for a young Arab officer pranging his Lexus coupe while pissed and killing people.

UPDATED: My man in the UAE had this to say:

I’d indeed expect the bizarre plea bargain to relate to public shame at home and probably army regulations covering drunkenness. Many Emiratis drink here, and a staggering number kill themselves on the roads. Assuming he’s an Emirati would expect he’ll get good legal and financial support from his government who’ll want this all to go away as quietly as possible.

ANOTHER UPDATE: The CT reports that young Ahmed has fronted the court with a new legal team (farewell Bernard Collaery) and plead guilty to:

“one charge of culpable driving causing death and two counts of culpable driving negligently causing grievous bodily harm

Sentencing on 21 August.

FURTHER UPDATE: pug206gti had this to add:

Having been by chance in the court this morning and seen the matter I can report that DPP presented no evidence on the drink driving chage and it was dismissed. As to the other charges, he did not consent to the Magistrates Court’s jurisdiction and was committed to stand trial in the Supreme Court. I guess he’s hoping to go before Higgins or Penfold.

What’s Your opinion?

75 Responses to
Ahmed Alzaabi to plead guilty, but not on the booze
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Headbonius 7:58 am 14 Aug 08

I forgot to add a new prayer that he might be saying over and over with his lgal counsel even though it has Christian overtones………..

Ahmed: “Higgins have mercy”

Counsel: “Higgins have mercy”

Ahmed: “Penfold have mercy”

Counsel: “Penfold have Mercy”

Ahmed: “Higgins have mercy”

Counsel: “Higgins have mercy”

All: “Amen”

Headbonius 7:55 am 14 Aug 08

JB wrote “very interesting.. one suspects this might become a favoured tactic of all who seek to avail themselves of the Chief Justice’s mercy.”

Heck, why just stop with the CJ? I’d be happier taking my chances with any of the out of touch nonces in the Supreme Court than striking His Honour Lalor on a bad day or Maam Doogan etc. The pissed Arab was wise to take the advice of his legal counsel and opt for the Supreme Court highway. If he didn’t I suspect that he would be packing a tooth brush and a texta.

factor 9:07 pm 13 Aug 08

how many of us have gone too far on the booze, been thrown into the deep end you know how it go’s “you drive” no i can’t i’m pissed, your ok mate trust me.

your already past the point of no return.

bite me 8:36 pm 13 Aug 08

Mutley, I have wondered for quite awhile, but this proves that DMD has NFI, it’s just that sometimes the degree of NFIedness varies between extreme and bizarre.

I liked the joke.

mutley...again 6:50 pm 13 Aug 08

Oh…that’s pretty clever actually.

So what did you understand it as?

Deadmandrinking 6:20 pm 13 Aug 08

Oh…that’s pretty clever actually.

Still low, but we won’t tell.

Beserk Keyboard Warrior 5:27 pm 13 Aug 08

Nah you’re way off. Think “hammered” and “more hammered” and read the joke again.

Clearly my sense of humour is far too sopisticated for this audience.

Deadmandrinking 5:13 pm 13 Aug 08

Beserk Keyboard Warrior said :

What do you call a drunk Arab? Ahmed

What do you call an even drunker Arab? Mohamed

The other way might have worked, i.e. what do you call a sober arab, Mohamed, what do you call a drunk arab, Ahmed, but still it’s a bit low and in the current clime, I think you should scratch that one from your routine.

johnboy 5:08 pm 13 Aug 08

If you’re going to insist on telling racist jokes can they at least be funny?

Beserk Keyboard Warrior 5:07 pm 13 Aug 08

What do you call a drunk Arab? Ahmed

What do you call an even drunker Arab? Mohamed

johnboy 2:47 pm 13 Aug 08

pug206gti 2:36 pm 13 Aug 08

Mælinar 3:12 pm 19 Jul 08

I’ll note for the record that I didn’t make any clarifications about which battlefields I have been on (I wear more than one medal on Anzac Day), but everything Thumper noted is correct.

The Jordanian reference does regard the Enclave. I pity the unit batman.

smiling politely 2:58 pm 19 Jul 08

[off-topic, I know] I figured Maelinar had served in East Timor the moment the goat and the Jordanians were mentioned. I have no direct experience but I understand that it was a tough place to serve during the UN administered transition to independence with all the different forces about proving difficult to coordinate and work with.

[on-topic] So, the usual laura norder rants aside, what’s likely to be the punishment and what kind of political aspect (if any) plays out in these sorts of situations?

Special G 1:57 pm 19 Jul 08

BJT – The point he is getting at is that reportedly some Muslim countries have the death penalty for drink driving. Killing other occupants in the car is on par with shoplifting.

BJT 12:35 pm 19 Jul 08

The parents of the dead kid, or the other two that are majorly fked up did not get to bargain on the hand that was dealt them because of this idiot –

Oh he will get in lots of trouble when he goes home because he was pissed? my heart bleeds… man up and take whats comming to you – its not like he scratched a bumper of an excel in a car park now is it?

Loose Brown 10:07 am 19 Jul 08

All of a sudden I have an entirely new impression of Mael. More of an… Understanding.

I remember following avidly the news about the East Timor conflict. What an environment to operate in – protect the East Timorese, kill milita that try to kill East Timorese, don’t kill any Indonesian Army – oops the milita IS the Indonesian Army. Try not to become mentally scarred when you find bodies shoved down wells, etc.

Back on topic – these blokes in the back of the car probably had the opportunity to tell the driver to slow down. Of course they wouldn’t have because they would have been worried about not appearing ‘like a man’ in front of their mates. Even though they were probably scared at his dangerous driving.

In my opinion it takes more of a man to tell a dangerous driver to slow down. We’ve all experienced this in our youth.

s-s-a 9:52 am 19 Jul 08

And I think you’ll find that if you actually read the article that only one person died as a result of this accident

Oh yeah because an acquired brain injury (x2) is just a walk in the park…!?

ant 9:15 am 19 Jul 08

Thumper said :

DJ, not me mate. I never left Australia. Best i ever got to do was play warries with the yanks on K89.

I believe that those excercises (with that opponent) were invariably quite good fun (provided you were not a yank).

Thumper 8:54 am 19 Jul 08