Skip to content Skip to main navigation

Alan Jones to stay on our buses

Ian Bushnell 27 November 2019 38
Alan Jones ad

The ad that many want removed from Canberra buses. Photo: File.

The smiling visage of Sydney shock-jock Alan Jones will continue to stare out on Canberra traffic from Transport Canberra buses, much to the disappointment of the Greens which sponsored a community petition started by Canberra Women in Business president Peta Swarbrick to have Jones’ ads removed from buses after remarks about New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinta Arden.

The petition called for Transport Canberra to immediately remove all advertisements promoting people who make sexist public comments, including Alan Jones, from bus advertising, and ensure that promotion of people who make sexist public comments is added to the bans in the Transport Canberra advertising guidelines.

But the Government has decided that there is nothing to stop the advertising, although it says it will not place ads during his syndicated broadcasts on 2CC.

Transport Minister Chris Steel said Mr Jones’ misogynistic behaviour was appalling and his comments about Ms Ardern abhorrent, but there was no mechanism to prevent advertisements on Transport Canberra buses unless there was an offensive message in the ad, which there wasn’t.

“The ACT Government has joined other organisations in barring the placement of advertising during the Alan Jones Show, sending a message that Jones’s continued misogynistic comments are reprehensible,” he said.

ACT Greens spokesperson for Women and Transport Caroline Le Couteur said it was disappointing that the Government had decided that they would not update the Transport Canberra guidelines to ensure that a broadcaster with Alan Jones’ reprehensible record was not promoted in the public space.

But she did welcome the Government’s commitment to ensure that there will not be any ACT Government advertising during the Alan Jones program.

“Like most Canberrans, I find Mr Jones’ views appalling and harmful. His comments go beyond sexism and misogyny, he actually calls for violence against women,” Ms Le Couteur said.

“Even many of Alan Jones’ advertisers have come to their senses with reports today that around 50 per cent of them have abandoned their support for his show.

“Unfortunately, today we learned that the ACT Government will continue to profit from a broadcaster who has repeatedly made these calls for violence.”

Mr Jones and the radio stations on which his show is broadcast have suffered an advertising backlash since his on-air remarks about Ms Ardern in August.

Mr Jones said “I just wonder whether Scott Morrison is going to be fully briefed to shove a sock down her [Ms Ardern’s] throat”, and “I hope Scott Morrison gets tough here with a few backhanders”.

Mr Jones did apologise for his comments but that has not quelled the outrage at his behaviour.


What's Your Opinion?


Please login to post your comments, or connect with
38 Responses to Alan Jones to stay on our buses
noid noid 10:49 am 28 Nov 19

“Uncommon” sense prevails. While I don’t condone the words Alan Jones used anyone with a little intelligence could see it was a figure of speech. Ms Le Couteur “Q & A feminists panel” aired earlier this month was offensive and obscene and worthy of a petition which I would be happy to sign – no outrage from you and others??????? And I hope the ACT Government is considering cutting all ties with the ABC.

Samantha Lea Samantha Lea 6:50 pm 28 Nov 19

With over 300 companies etc who have stopped advertising with Alan Jones, it’s clear some people are now using ethics in advertising. It’s a pity Canberra isn’t there yet.

Capital Retro Capital Retro 12:29 pm 29 Nov 19

Russell Nankervis, you keep repeating youself.

Capital Retro Capital Retro 1:27 pm 29 Nov 19

Alan Jones and Peta Credin are doing a great job at Dubbo engaging with the drought affected farmers in a way politicians can’t (or won’t) do. If I was Scott Morrison I would be embarassed by Jones and Credlin showing up what a pathetic response the governmnet is offering.

Any of you haters out there helping the farmers and others who are being strangled by the drought?

No, didn’t think so.

HiddenDragon HiddenDragon 7:12 pm 29 Nov 19

This is actually a win-win for an ACT Government which is already revving-up its fear campaign for the 2020 election – they get revenue from the enemy and also have a mobile reminder of the unspeakable right wing horrors which would run rampant in the People’s Republic of Canberra under a Liberal Government.

Surely it’s only a matter of time before the full rogues’ gallery of “they come out after dark” Sky presenters will feature on the posteriors of our buses…….

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | riotact.com.cn | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site