News

Avani Terraces - Greenway
Life is looking up

All hail the Cater-Piller

By johnboy - 25 May 2012 34

cater-piller

Territory and Municipal Services have announced the winners of their ACTION Buses drawing competition with Ayami Starke taking out top honours.:

“The judges felt that Ayami’s drawing best captured this year’s theme of Draw for the future – the ultimate environmentally-friendly bus. We are very excited to see Ayami’s concept of Canberra’s sustainable future on the back of one of our buses soon,” Mr Roncon said.

“This year’s entrants showed great creativity and some very imaginative concepts for environmentally-friendly bus options, including a bus powered by passenger pedal power and another fuelled by cooking oil.

Other winners were:

• Andy Dunn, under 4 years of age
    • Tayla Abbott, between 5 and 6 years of age
    • Luke Palmer, between 7 and 8 years of age
    • Ivy Prosser, between 9 and 10 years of age
    • Aisha Bottrill, between 11 and 13 years of age
    • Ayami Starke, overall winner.

What’s Your opinion?

34 Responses to
All hail the Cater-Piller
HenryBG 6:35 pm 27 May 12

Thumper said :

Mind sharing with us what your qualifications in chemistry and/or biology might be, and where we might find your funny ideas published so we can check that the ideas you are trying to spread here have some sort of firm base in fact?

Mind sharing any of your tertiary qualifications Henry?

Luckily, I’m not out on a limb contradicting the relevant subject-matter experts by trying to share kook opinions about that laws of physics, so my qualifications aren’t relevant.

It’s very simple: CO2 is more opaque to radiation in certain wavelengths.
Those wavelengths happen to match the wavelengths of solar radiation that is bouncing back off the earth and radiating back out towards space.
CO2 therefore captures heat that would otherwise leave our planet.
This is what we call a “greenhouse gas”.
More “greenhouse gas” means more heat.
More heat means changing climate, melting ice and elevated sea levels.

You don’t need a degree to understand that. I’m sure even high school drop-outs wouldn’t have too much trouble with it. Begs the question though, what’s wrong with Dvaey and Thumper, to name just two.

You can get onto the CSIRO and BoM websites and find all this stuff out for yourselves instead of believing the crap you read in the paper.

Onceler 2:45 pm 27 May 12

jase! said :

that kid is going to be sad when they learn about the laws of thermodynamics. wheels that generate power? roflcopter

She might be referring to regenerative braking.

PoQ 12:31 pm 27 May 12

poetix said :

SnapperJack said :

Gee, the shoving of green propaganda down the throats of schoolkids is working. A pity they’re not teaching spelling anymore (“inshore”).

Ayami is eleven years old and has lots of time to learn how to spell ensure (or insure). At least this shows it was the student’s own work. There is clearly imagination and original thought behind this illustration.

Despite shoving propaganda down their throats, they’re still capable of original thought. It’s even worse than we feared! It must be stopped!

Thumper 10:17 pm 26 May 12

Mind sharing any of your tertiary qualifications Henry?

HenryBG 9:06 pm 26 May 12

dvaey said :

Jethro said :

I’ll tell you want. Go stand in an airtight room and pump it full of CO2. Then let me know how you feel about your statement.

Put a tree in there and see what it thinks.

I’d say a species that has evolved in an environment with around 290ppm CO2 would be fairly upset if you inflicted a vastly increased concentration of CO2 on it.

Do I detect in your comment that you have the strange idea that this might not be the case?

jase! 7:53 pm 26 May 12

silvernitrate 7:06 pm 26 May 12

How ’bout that air condishing?

OzChick 5:04 pm 26 May 12

poetix said :

I wonder if it converts to a butterfly when necessary? The detail is impressive; note the antennae allow for free wifi. It’s great that it will be on the back of a bus too.

Buses in NZL already have free wifi on their buses. We are so behind.

Jethro 5:04 pm 26 May 12

Lazy I said :

Jethro said :

shauno said :

HenryBG said :

Lazy I said :

Looks like the relentless ‘green’ indoctrination in our school system is coming up with results!

Yeah, what’s not to love about pollution?

Yeah but CO2 is not pollution remember that or do you believe the spin.

Interesting way to define pollution.

Go stand in an airtight room and fill it with water.

The point was anything that exists in excessive amounts so as to throw out the natural balance is pollution.

dvaey 4:03 pm 26 May 12

Jethro said :

Put a tree in there and see what it thinks. Just because its of no use to you, it doesnt mean its of no use. Also, you dont have to ‘pump it full of CO2’, the human body produces it naturally, so I guess in a way every breath we take is polluting the atmosphere.

johnboy 3:50 pm 26 May 12

or even 100% oxygen

Lazy I 3:38 pm 26 May 12

Jethro said :

shauno said :

HenryBG said :

Lazy I said :

Yeah, what’s not to love about pollution?

Yeah but CO2 is not pollution remember that or do you believe the spin.

Interesting way to define pollution.

Go stand in an airtight room and fill it with water.

Jethro 2:19 pm 26 May 12

shauno said :

HenryBG said :

Lazy I said :

Yeah, what’s not to love about pollution?

Yeah but CO2 is not pollution remember that or do you believe the spin.

arescarti42 1:38 pm 26 May 12

I (genuinely) wish I could draw that well.

Thumper 10:39 am 26 May 12

It has a fish wind sock.

Therefore it is totally awesome.