Police were intercepting the calls of the woman alleged to be the “architect” behind the murder of Glenn Walewicz when a line piqued their interest.
It was alleged that while Nicole Williams was in prison, she said if she were granted bail, she would “be on the first bus out of here”, Crown prosecutor Anthony Williamson SC said.
He made the allegation in the ACT Supreme Court on Monday (27 February) when fighting the 38-year-old’s second attempt to be released on bail while she awaits a trial over her alleged involvement in the shooting of Mr Walewicz.
A group of people had gone to the 48-year-old’s home on Mansfield Place, Phillip, on 10 June 2021, where one shot him in the neck when he answered a knock on his door.
Mr Williamson said for a long time, police had “no idea” who committed the murder, which he claimed was a case of mistaken identity.
It was alleged the group had been sent to steal drugs and money from another house with an agreement to give most to Ms Williams, although they would be able to keep some drugs themselves as payment.
The prosecutor alleged Ms Williams had sent a text about “doing over” the intended targets of the home invasion and gave a .22 calibre pump-action rifle to the member of the group who became the “triggerman”, even though this person was still a child at the time.
It is also alleged she told two of the group she thought that one of their intended targets might have a gun themselves and might shoot at them, court documents say.
But they went to the wrong home, the home where Mr Walewicz lived.
Mr Williamson alleged Ms Williams had orchestrated the armed home invasion of the other house but was “effectively the architect” of the murder.
The day after the shooting, Ms Williams allegedly texted her son, who is also a co-accused, saying, “He shot him in the face son, scary”.
After two co-accused were arrested in early June 2022, police intercepted a call between her and her son.
“I’m gunna make out that I don’t know a damn thing. Cause as soon as I slip up and say that I was even knowin’ any of it, I’m locked up too,” she allegedly told him.
Mr Williamson also alleged she had tried to “silence witnesses”.
Police allegedly learned she’d booked a one-way ticket from Canberra to Brisbane while her co-accused were being arrested, so officers picked her up at the train station in June 2022 when she was trying to leave the city.
She has remained in custody since then after a failed bail application last September.
Her lawyer, Darryl Perkins, fought for her to be released on Monday, claiming the co-accused were attempting to ameliorate their involvement in the enterprise “by passing some blame onto my client’s shoulders”.
Most of the Crown’s case was based on information from co-accused who were “motivated by self-interest”, he claimed.
Mr Perkins also said while Ms Williams admitted she had a drug problem, the mother-of-four had told him she had “nothing to do with this whole exercise at all” and denied the alleged offending.
But Acting Justice Verity McWilliam said none of the special or exceptional circumstances required for her to grant bail existed in the matter, so she refused bail.
Ms Williams, from Holt, has pleaded not guilty to seven charges, including one count of accessory to murder and two counts of recruiting a child to engage in criminal activity.
The matter will next be in court on 20 March when a date will be set for her three-week trial, which is expected to be held in mid-2023.
A total of six people were arrested over the death of Mr Walewicz.
Getaway driver Reatile Ncube was the first to be sentenced but avoided being returned to jail.
Ms Williams’ son Jayden Douglas Williams, from Glen Innes in NSW, pleaded not guilty like his mother and has also been committed for trial.
A murder charge against a 13-year-old boy was dropped last year.