News

Fly direct from
Canberra to New Zealand

Alleged Lawson firebug teens nabbed

By johnboy - 8 January 2013 54

ACT Policing has taken two teenagers into custody after a grass fire was started in Lawson earlier today (January 8).

Around 1.30pm, ACT Fire and Rescue requested the assistance of ACT Policing after receiving a report that two teenagers were seen lighting a grass fire along Baldwin Drive.

Officers from Gungahlin general duties attended the area and located the two boys aged 13 and 14. They were taken into custody and conveyed to the Belconnen Police Station where they have assisted police with its investigation.

The teenagers have been released into the custody of their parents and will undergo a restorative justice process.

[Courtesy ACT Policing]

What’s Your opinion?

54 Responses to
Alleged Lawson firebug teens nabbed
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
screaming banshee 7:02 pm 09 Jan 13

tonkatuff82 said :

To be clear, I’m not defending them or their stupid actions, I’m hoping to hold up a very small mirror that may help you see what a ranting pack of froth-mouthed banshees looks like. No doubt I have failed anyway…

I can assure you there is no froth around my mouth when I say that if firebugs were summarily executed there would be less firebugs.

LSWCHP 7:00 pm 09 Jan 13

tonkatuff82 said :

And to link it to the death of a poor man in a house fire completely unrelated to this incident or bushfires in general is a fairly long, non-nonsensical bow.

Yes, my reference to Jim’s terrible death on Monday was drawing a bow, but in my view it was a pretty short and sensible bow.

The man was burned to death, and his neighbours heard him screaming as he died. I’d seen him only a few days before, and the thought of that nice old bloke suffering like that makes me sick.

Setting fires under the current conditions could well result in others undergoing a similar appalling fate. The subjects are related, and I stand by what I wrote.

Jim Jones 4:33 pm 09 Jan 13

tonkatuff82 said :

Outstanding hand-wringing and extremist responses on this one.

You’re obviously new to RiotAct

ScienceRules 4:17 pm 09 Jan 13

Ben_Dover said :

ScienceRules said :

You really are a cretin, aren’t you? “A severe kicking”? Really? Maybe an internet hero such as yourself could step forward (perhaps during their court hearing) and state your willingness to apply these barbaric punishments. No? Thought not…

If it had been my family, pets and possessions which had been endangered by these sh!tstains, then I would be first in line to give them a kicking, one which would remain in their minds and bodies for the rest of their wasted lives. I would be happy to do this whether sanctioned by society or not.

I think though it would be more favourable for those endangered to do it.

Do you have any point to make other than to express your sheer horror that someone may think differently to you, and to display your remarkable ineptness at predicting what others may or may not do?

I won’t even bother to insult you.

Which is exactly why we don’t have mob rule. If they were your normally good kids who made a stupid decision and genuinely regret their choice would you still be happy to have some deranged animal beat them senseless to satisfy their base revenge fantasies. Somehow I think not. We left mediaeval concepts of “eye for an eye” and violent retribution behind some time ago thankfully.

My point is that we have a system of courts/justice that, flawed though it may be, is still lightyears better than the reflexive “beat ’em, rape ’em, kill ’em” idiocy that is thrown out time and time again by keyboard heros with an excess of testosterone and insufficient capacity for rational thought.

Feel free to think differently to me, feel free to shout those different opinions into the RA megaphone but expect to have your woeful thought processes pointed out to you when you do. Oh, and fill your boots on insulting me should you feel the need.

rosscoact 1:01 pm 09 Jan 13

“Favelas exploding on inflammable spillways
Lynch-mobs, death squads, babies being born without brains”

so sayeth the messiah

Girt_Hindrance 12:46 pm 09 Jan 13

tonkatuff82 said :

Hang on a minute, (I shouldn’t be surprised, I know) isn’t this whole thread an enormous tanty over not much really?

It sounds like (and someone with actual facts please correct me if I’m wrong) two stupid kids in their early teens who obviously have very poor examples for parents tried to light a fire on the worst day to do so in a decade. No mention of an actual fire, to me, says they were inept, half hearted or terribly unlucky in their endeavour, as a decent fart yesterday could have started a blaze.
Stupid? – Yes
Criminal? – Yes
Should they be punished and deterred from ever doing this again? – Yes
Should they have a blowtorch applied to their balls, be lynched etc etc? – Um, not really in my opinion
Should their parents be punished and sterilised? – Ok, I’ll agree with that one, but how many of you are willing to undergo screening before breeding? I bet not many.

Outstanding hand-wringing and extremist responses on this one.

Perhaps reading the article would have assisted your interpretations of the events.
The words were “taken into custody after a grass fire was started”, and “two teenagers were seen starting a grass fire”.
IMHO, that means that yes, there was a grass fire.
And yes, some responses may be viewed as being harsh, I personally don’t agree with them being injured for their idiotic efforts, but if you can relate to these two having reasonable need of punishment, you could also understand that people will be quite upset at the deliberate attempt to set a fire amongst the suburbs on the worst possible day of the last four (or more) years for it.

tonkatuff82 12:06 pm 09 Jan 13

Stupid? – Yes
Criminal? – Yes
Should they be punished and deterred from ever doing this again? – Yes

Outstanding hand-wringing and extremist responses on this one.

Zeital 11:10 am 09 Jan 13

Chop71 said :

Approx 220 years ago these kiddies may have had their hands chopped off or worse …….

sent to Australia.

well aren’t they the lucky ones now??

Diggety 11:02 am 09 Jan 13

Postalgeek said :

Notice to all villagers:

Please bring pitchforks only. Do not bring burning torches to anti-arsonist rallies during a total fire ban.

Best comment of 2013…

Ben_Dover 10:45 am 09 Jan 13

ScienceRules said :

I think though it would be more favourable for those endangered to do it.

I won’t even bother to insult you.

Chop71 10:38 am 09 Jan 13

sent to Australia.

johnboy 10:32 am 09 Jan 13

Postalgeek said :

Notice to all villagers:

give that man a biscuit.

Postalgeek 10:24 am 09 Jan 13

Notice to all villagers:

ScienceRules 8:53 am 09 Jan 13

Ben_Dover said :

bundah said :

Would I have understood that starting fires for fun during the current emergency was a bad thing to do, and may have potential catastrophic consequences at age 13? Yes I would have.
Don’t judge everyone by your own IQ.

If they really didn’t understand the seriousness of what they were doing, it’s therefore going to take a severe kicking to get the information into their thick skulls.

thebrownstreak69 8:49 am 09 Jan 13

bundah said :

Let me play devil’s advocate and ask all rioters to remind themselves of what they actually comprehended at 13/14 years of age.Did you all fully understand the consequences of your actions,in fact,how many of you even understand that now as mature adults?The reality is that there are parents who are incapable of guiding and disciplining their children and effectively create little bastards who are more likely to become anti-social monsters.Locking them up and throwing away the key as some of you have intimated is all a little too late after the event particularly at that age.There is no doubt in my mind that society’s do gooders have exacerbated the problem with their naive thinking and actions.

Of course I knew not to commit crime at that age. Most kids do. It’s the kids that don’t understand this that are the anomalies, which is why action is needed.

Girt_Hindrance 8:48 am 09 Jan 13

bundah said :

Let me play devil’s advocate and ask all rioters to remind themselves of what they actually comprehended at 13/14 years of age.Did you all fully understand the consequences of your actions,in fact,how many of you even understand that now as mature adults? Locking them up and throwing away the key as some of you have intimated is all a little too late after the event particularly at that age.

Are you suggesting we lock them up before they’ve done any damage? Wow, that’s a bit harsh.

bundah 8:41 am 09 Jan 13

@ Ben_Dover

The fact that i have a high IQ is precisely what enables me to glean information that explains why these scenarios occur.Giving them a severe kicking is all well and good after the event however the focus needs to be on prevention and clearly we,as a society,have failed particularly as the do gooders are largely setting the tempo and cracking the whip.

Baggy 7:24 am 09 Jan 13

bundah said :

I agree with your last comment. And as much as it irks me, day after day I see more evidence that people ought to be given a licence to breed.

Ben_Dover 7:23 am 09 Jan 13

bundah said :

Don’t judge everyone by your own IQ.

Ben_Dover 7:18 am 09 Jan 13

The Frots said :

Take everything thats dear to them, computers, TV from their rooms, cell phone, clothes – simply empty their rooms total out into the middle of their street. Beds, furniture – everything.

Then set fire to it as they watch.

Let them sleep on the bare floor, have only the clothes they are wearing until ‘they’ can get new ones, let them see how it feels. Absolute dogs!!

Gold !!!