Another driver [dis]courtesy story. Am I wrong?

astrojax 18 June 2013 81

[no cyclists were harmed or even invoked in the development of this article]

so, what do rioters think?  i am approaching among other traffic at or just under the posted speed limit, on a major arterial road in the nearside (left) lane, a major thoroughfare (let’s call it ‘northbourne avenue’) when about two-three hundred metres ahead the lights go red – so i know i’m going to have to stop, and likely for a little while.

instinctively, i ease off the accelerator and coast up towards the red light.  bloke in a 4wd (always seems to be a bloke – young-ish usually, too) behind me continues at his speed until he is right up my clacker (ie, dangerously tailgating) and, as we’re about there pops on his left indicator as it transpires he is wanting to use the slip lane and turn left at his [safe] will…

as i pull far enough ahead and almost stop at said red traffic signal he zooms underneath me, sounds the horn fitted to his vehicle, glares grimly at me while flipping a bird; as if i should have known he wanted to get ahead of me and i was delaying him for some important fire or something…  the hide of me.

similar scenario has played out a few times the past week or so; i’m not crawling at three k’s an hour, but fu***ed if i’m going to keep accelerating, using more of my fuel and then use more of my brake pads simply to facilitate his progress past me.  especially when he didn’t give me notice of his intent [it’s called an ‘indicator, goose.  you might find its control on the steering column].

what should i have done? (for the record, i smiled at him – think it pissed him off more…) am i at any fault?  is this flagrant display of discourtesy more prevalent of late or am i having a bad run?

thoughts please.

What’s Your opinion?

81 Responses to
Another driver [dis]courtesy story. Am I wrong?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
arescarti42 8:51 am 19 Jun 13

poppy said :

It seems that the vast majority of drivers become extremely angry if me (or another driver) is driving 10km under the speed limit. Even if it is wet, hard to see, etc. Yet (presumably) the same people think it is OK to walk EXTREMELY slowly (even when they have no disability and are not elderly) in crowded public areas three abreast, whilst chatting and waving arms, so that I cannot pass them. This is what enrages me and I feel I should be able to if not punch these people in the back of their head ram my shopping trolley up their ass so I can get on with my day. I cannot understand why people are enraged with my driving slightly under the speed limit yet those same people think it is OK to impede me whilst going about my shopping. And then they get angry with ME because I bumped into them due THEM stopping suddenly in order to look at a pair of shoes in a shop window, whilst totally blocking my passage due to prams etc.

😀 +1

I really liked that tangent you went on.

astrojax 9:09 am 19 Jun 13

TheBusDriver said :

I think you should have used some CORRECT punctuation and grammar. That was one of the hardest peices of crap I have ever read.

the errors in grammar are..? [allowing for obvious colloquial style]

how was the ‘peice’ [sic] ‘hard’? oh, you mean ‘hardest to read peices [sic] of crap…’? stones. glass houses…

and for the naysayers – as pointed out by others, and specifically noted in the op, i didn’t drop my speed to near zero – and yes, i’d have driven in the same manner were it a police vehicle behind me (police are trained professional drivers and should know better)

eyeLikeCarrots 10:00 am 19 Jun 13

Maybe it wasn’t your driving that piseed him off.

Do you have a Collingwood sticker or one of those stupid ‘my family’ stick figure collections on the back of your car ?

Very Busy 10:05 am 19 Jun 13

The Antichrist said :

gungsuperstar said :

Obviously you aren’t doing wrong by the law. But someone called the other driver another example of a self-entitled arsehole in Canberra.

I argue that you are the self-entitled arsehole. Traffic doesn’t stop because you have a red light, and where you’re on a major road with a long slip lane, you’re being incredible ignorant and inconsiderate to the traffic behind in thinking that it does.

The argument about fuel consumption is such bullshit. Sitting on your accelerator for an extra 150m has such a negligible impact on fuel consumption, the whole argument is ridiculous.

Absolutely 100% correct. Any argument about *saving fuel* is just an excuse for self-indugent poor driving. Coasting to a set of lights that are 200-300m away ??? Give me and the rest of the world a break you ignoramus.

Want to save fuel ? Catch a bus or ride a pushie. But please, leave the bullshit out of your arguments.

Sounds to me like just another excuse to bash the 4WD brigade. Pathetic.

Um no!!! Absolutely 100% INCORRECT.

For those of you that have a trip computer with an “instantaneous fuel consumption display” in your car, you will already know that these comments above are totally uninformed.

Not to mention wear and tear on the brakes.

Regardless of fuel economy and wear and tear, it is much less stressful, and more comfortable for passengers, to drive in a conservative manner rather than an aggressive one.

Erg0 10:09 am 19 Jun 13

kumadude said :

You are responsible for what is in front of you, not the loons behind. The more you worry about tool at the rear the more anxious you may become.

I don’t think this is the right attitude – you need to be aware of what’s happening all around you, or you’re putting your safety in the hands of the drivers that most posters agree are a bunch of self-entitled wankers. Personally, I start to feel anxious if I don’t know (without turning my head) what all of the vehicles around me are doing at any given time.

kumadude 10:17 am 19 Jun 13

Of all folks that should be concerned about fuel consumption is 4wd owners. Moving from a stationary position in 1st gear is where the bulk of it is used, one should do as much as possible to prevent stopping completely. I would not compare it to escaping earths or jupiters gravity, but the concept is close. All car owners should be aware of the efficiency of the different gear ratios that make their transmission, 1st always being the worst and if you have a 5th, the best. There are world wide competitions where the winner is the person who can get the most miles/kms out of a single tank of fuel. These experts do as much as possible to prevent coming to a complete standstill. The maths and science is true and tested, you may find though that some of the revheads can not count nor understand basic formulas. Though, keep flogging it, you are paying for better roads.

kumadude 10:24 am 19 Jun 13

Erg0 said :

kumadude said :

To a certain degree yes, when changing lanes it is the driver’s responsibility to check their environment, other than that you should be passively taking into account the changing shapes and colours via the rear view mirror. BUT, if you are actively worried about how close the tapeworm is to your ass all the time you are neglecting your duty of care for what is ahead and exponentially increasing the probability of crashing. The idiot behind you pays for your damage. Kids, cars, bike and motorbike do not come out from behind you.

Watson 10:32 am 19 Jun 13

I must add that I really do think it’s a bit selfish to not adjust your driving when you notice someone behind you wants to turn left at the lights. If you drive the same route every day, you know the light cycles and sometimes someone slowing down early can make you miss the gap to turn left. Which still isn’t a reason to throw such a hissy fit – I agree that if you cannot control your temper, you should not be in control of a 1 ton vehicle. But I personally find that situation annoying too when it happens to me and I’m a pretty conservative driver.

bundah 10:34 am 19 Jun 13

Erg0 said :

kumadude said :

Absolutely correct for we are all responsible for our actions and the potential consequences so being aware of what’s going on in all directions when driving enables us to respond to situations and avoiding putting ourselves in the firing line.

astrojax 11:04 am 19 Jun 13

eyeLikeCarrots said :

Maybe it wasn’t your driving that piseed him off.

good call, but no – i toyed with the idea of getting frangipanis in the shape of the southern cross once, but my vehicle is devoid of decoration. if it had anything it might be darwin fish, but no, now’t…

Innovation 11:30 am 19 Jun 13

Very Busy @ #44 – Agree with you totally but it also provides, usually, for a smoother flow of traffic.

Watson @ #48 – I read the Op to mean that the four wheel driver was already wound up and aggressive long before he indicated his intentions.

watto23 11:36 am 19 Jun 13

Maybe OP, you did something, or not do something further down the road and you were only aware of it at the event you described?

IMO if as a driver you are noticing this behaviour a lot, ie other cars getting upset with you, then maybe your driving style needs tweaking. If its rare or occassional it is probably just the other driver is a idiot.

Completely understand the notion of trying to save fuel, but also if you notice something on the road and you can adjust what you are doing to make another drivers job easier (regardless of how they are driver) you can be smug about it and avoided a potential accident or road rage incident.

I recently got a bike and because i’m on my L’s drivers feel the need to overtake at all opportunities, even though i’m often doing the speed limit or dare i say a few km’s over. I’m aware this is how they drive, so i just give them room and let them go. I had people tailgating me on corners in the wet last night, they have no idea how dangerous that is and clearly don’t think what would happen if the rider in front came off, they probably be fine at the slower cornering speeds of say a roundabout until the car runs over them. Unfortunately most people just don’t think and stick to “their” style or stubborness to stop people doing things they don’t like.

OP you probably did nothing wrong, but if you had of just kept your foot on the accelerator a little longer, maybe nothing would have happened and this whole post wouldn’t have happened. Again that is assuming thats what the other driver was pissed off about and IMO was still acting like an idiot because they could have also been a bit more patient also.

Postalgeek 11:41 am 19 Jun 13

Maybe there’s sin here, but I reserve my Dick Smith thermo-nuke button for those drivers who drive under the limit when approaching lights, especially the one in the right lane, and then sneak through on the orange leaving you stuck with the red.

what_the 12:30 pm 19 Jun 13

I think the fact that its happened to you multiple times this week it may be a hint. If its light traffic and you’re in the far lane of a 2-3 lane road where’s there’s a slipway and you can see someone wants to turn, just move to the middle lane or at least make an effort to not hold up traffic. That’s what I do, it’s just considerate, takes no effort and avoids you getting in these situations in the first place.

astrojax 4:45 pm 19 Jun 13

what_the said :

this was two lanes and there was traffic passing me on my right – and, as stated, the goose didn’t bother to let me, or anyone else, know of his intention [road rule breach #1 right there]… i am generally, i believe, a considerate driver and applaud your philosophy – such options were not available to me. and it doesn’t excuse his bird and anger….

MangaGal 5:02 pm 19 Jun 13

What about even when I have indicated ahead of my intention to use the slip lane turning left, guy proceeded to cruise to a stop to the furthest left of the left lane, blocking the slip lane and I had to wait for the entire lights turn. Then saw I was shaking my head in disgust in his revision mirror, proceeded to gave me the bird.

I think I wished I knew what have I done wrong to deserve a bird.

gungsuperstar 5:16 pm 19 Jun 13

Aeek said :

gungsuperstar said :

Doing it once, no it doesn’t. But 10,000 times – it adds up.

I wonder how many of those 10,000 times you discourteously, selfishly and ignorantly impede other road users so you can save no fuel whatsoever.

JC 5:40 pm 19 Jun 13

kumadude said :

Erg0 said :

kumadude said :

What a load of crap. You need to be FULLY aware of what is happening around you including behind and beside and you should be constantly think about what will happen if… and where and what you are going to do if that happens.

Some examples I am approaching traffic lights I like to know what is behind because if the lights change and someone is too far up my arse I sure the hell am not going to risk being rear ended, even if they are paying.

You mentioned kids, bikes etc coming from the front, yep true, but again I want to know what is around me so that I know if I need to do something in a hurry, like change lanes that I am not going to cause an even bigger problem.

Lastly when changing lanes you are not responsible to a certain degree as you said, you are responsible full stop for your actions and what they may well be, and being responsible is ensuring you are aware of what is around you. No degrees here.

curlylocks 5:43 pm 19 Jun 13

He must have been having a rough day!!! Where you behind some other cars as well??? I am assuming you were and were near the end of the slip lane for him to turn left. Sometimes people have no idea and he is one of those people. If I am near the slip lane and the close to the beggining of it I always (if possible go as close as possilble and as far as possible to the other car and right of my lane as I can)

Aeek 8:39 pm 19 Jun 13

gungsuperstar said :

Aeek said :

Me? I drive VERY aggressively. You happier now?
I save fuel by cycling as much as possible, which makes the roads safer for everyone.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.