So, with the recent discussions surrounding the fatal crash in Chifley, and the eating of pie while driving in conversation, I have been left again with the thought, ‘What can be done?’
In the end, I thought that might be something to throw over to everyone, and see what ideas are out there.
To help kick this off, here’s some of my thoughts:
I agree with the idea of power limits for younger drivers, yes, there is the argument that even smaller cars can hit high speeds, but more powerful cars and cars with turbo’s etc, can be easier for inexperienced drivers to lose control.
Trucks are (meant to be) fitted with speed limiters, and other devices, why not look into devices that can be fitted to the cars of repeat offenders, such as phone signal jammers for those who have been caught on the phone, speed and rev limiters for hoons, or traction control that can’t be disabled for those caught doing burnouts.
I realise a number of these things could, and would be overridden by those intent on breaking the law, but like disabling the speed limiter in a truck, that would become an offence in itself.
There is a lot of technology already in use for other purposes, which could be put into use for the protection of other road users.
Most modern cars have chips inside the keys that will not allow the car to start, unless a scanner in the car recognises the key, this helps prevent theft by forcing the lock, or cutting another key, could similar technology not be applied to licences in some way?
The issues that irritate me most:
- 1) Young drivers, and high speeds, they become out of control flying steel death traps.
2) Older drivers, and low speeds, if it’s a sunny, dry day, and you’re doing 50 in an 80 zone, you are a dangerous obstacle to the flow of traffic.
3) Over cautious drivers, they become very unpredictable and erratic.
4) Drivers who don’t understand rules and courtesy’s surrounding lanes, merging and roundabouts.
5) Tailgating, it is a problem that seems (by my observation) to be big in the ACT.
Does anyone have any bright ideas, other pet peeves, steam to vent or comments to make about road safety in the ACT and Surrounds?