Another tilt at the windmill of pay parking in the parliamentary zone

johnboy 30 July 2009 69

[First filed: July 29, 2009 @ 08:42]

The Canberra Times brings the happy news that a “joint taskforce” of the National Capital Authority and the ACT Government (what a meeting of great minds that must be) is having another go at working through the issues of getting paid parking going in the green and leafy environs of Parliament House.

The National Capital Authority confirmed yesterday it would chair an inter-governmental committee to review parking in the Parliamentary Zone as well as Barton and Russell, where tens of thousands of Commonwealth public servants currently park for free.

”The committee will develop options for managing parking on national land, taking into account the special needs of visitors and volunteers,” NCA chief executive Gary Rake said.

The wily procedural warriors who currently enjoy the free parking have quietly killed off every previous effort. Representing significantly more accomplished individuals than anything the NCA or ACT Government have to offer.

Allocated free spaces for everyone higher than EL1 might just crack it though.

UPDATED: Gary Humphries has come out with all guns blazing declaring this paid parking will come in “OVER MY DEAD BODY“.

And then, perhaps demonstrating considerable faith in the ongoing misery of the ACT’s public transport system, Gary finished with this:

Senator Humphries has gone so far as to start a petition.

69 Responses to Another tilt at the windmill of pay parking in the parliamentary zone
I-filed I-filed 9:51 pm 29 Jul 09

How many of our ACT Government politicians pay for their parking spaces?

Spam Box Spam Box 9:05 pm 29 Jul 09

Pay parking is also usually associated with public transport hubs, not with public transport backwaters like Barton and Russell.

Err?

Valleyboy Valleyboy 7:52 pm 29 Jul 09

Growling Ferret said:

Great idea. I’ll pay for parking when the Parliamentary triangle has a post office, convenience stores, a number of takeaways, a sporting goods retailer and all those other shops and facilities that pay parking is normally centred around…

Yes, like a shopping mall, for instance … and add to that a bank or two. One of the biggest hassles of pay parking is not having sufficient coins on you when you need them for the voucher machine — a common problem in these days of EFTPOS shopping when one gets no coins back in change from normal shopping, and ATMs and EFTPOS cashouts only provide notes. It’s a bit rich to be expected to constantly have coins available for pay parking when there’s no bank around in the pay-parking area where you can get a roll of coins if need be in order to be able to feed the voucher machine.

54-11 54-11 7:34 pm 29 Jul 09

indigoid, re post # 12, there is plenty of motorbike parking at PH. In the public car park, there are two areas set aside for bikes, and generally there is space to spare. In the Melbourne Ave car park (see http://www.aph.gov.au/visitors/pedestrian.pdf) also known as razor blades, there are also several motorbike parking spots.

Wanon Wanon 7:06 pm 29 Jul 09

I’d be happy for pay parking as long as *I* don’t have to pay! 😛

That’s the epitomy of Canberra right there. It must mean I’m becoming a Canberran. 🙁

Put a boom gate on the Russell car parks where work prox passes gets you in and out for free.
The people who park in Russell and work in the city might bugger off free up a few spaces for the people who actually work there.

I’m quite concerned about the new ASIO building and whether they’re building any new car parks to go with their new 10 000 odd person building

monomania monomania 6:00 pm 29 Jul 09

Wallly1972 said :

I think paid parking in the parliamentry zone (and all commonwealth land inside the act) is long overdue as a way to manage a scarce resource. It would result in more spaces available for tourists and short term visitors and also encourage public servants to use public transport, cycling and car pooling. It also make it easier for the ACT government to plan transport infrastructure.

It is up to the Commonwealth Government to provide sufficient parking spaces/transport for its employees. And visitors to national institutions. It is not up to ACT residents to clean up their mess.

taco taco 5:40 pm 29 Jul 09

My message to Gary Humphries is this: pay for parking and learn what it’s like for everyone else

Get the politicians or at least their staff onto the buses and we might actually see them fixed properly instead of a slight rejig every 12 months with grand press releases

c9 c9 5:27 pm 29 Jul 09

Canberra is not like other cities. There is an artificial scarcity of parking created by stupid restriction. For instance, most suburban streets in Reid are No Parking 9-11 and 2-3 Mon – Fri; where it is clearly not unsafe to park. Not to mention the loading zones and taxi zones in Bunda St. Those who are determined not to pay still find a way, and make a nusience of themselves.

Similar social engineering goes on all across Canberra – particularly Braddon, Turner, O’Connor, Manuka, around Woden, at the ANU etc etc.

sunshine sunshine 5:24 pm 29 Jul 09

hey, i don’t mind the pay parking as long as we all get a pay raise to cover the cost of parking in the city each day. Apparently there is a shortage of workers in the ACT – give them more of an incentive to come here

indigoid indigoid 4:34 pm 29 Jul 09

#29: Want it all on a platter, do you, with lower taxes the icing on the proverbial cake?

With specific regard to motorbikes — Phillip Subway carpark a couple of months ago I saw eight police bikes (a mix of BMW R1200RT and Yamaha FJR1300) parked in two regular car spaces. They actually fit quite comfortably, and they’re quite big bikes!

Anna Key Anna Key 4:28 pm 29 Jul 09

Can Gary Humphries give us free parking in all the other bits of Canberra too

Growling Ferret Growling Ferret 4:07 pm 29 Jul 09

toriness toriness 3:54 pm 29 Jul 09

have any of you ever considered driving to near and free proximity to your work and walking the remainder of the way? best of both worlds if you ask me. it’s what i do when it’s raining – i don’t ride my bike in the rain.

The Axe Man The Axe Man 3:51 pm 29 Jul 09

wednesday said :

“To have to pay to park my car to go to work is ridiculous.”

LOL. Consider yourself lucky you don’t work in the centre of Sydney, Melbourne, etc.

Whats that got to do with it?

Can I also consider myself lucky I don’t work in the centre of Bowral?

And if I did live in Melbourne or Sydney at least I’d have a direct route to work via tram or train and not have to deal with buses

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy 3:50 pm 29 Jul 09

wednesday said :

“To have to pay to park my car to go to work is ridiculous.”

You mean those places where there is reliable and effective public transport, as well as places to leave your car before you actually get onto said public trabsport?

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy 3:49 pm 29 Jul 09

The Axe Man said :

This is a stupid idea.

The argument that those in the triangle should pay because others have to pay is so stupid there is no need to refute it

wednesday wednesday 3:46 pm 29 Jul 09

“To have to pay to park my car to go to work is ridiculous.”

The Axe Man The Axe Man 3:32 pm 29 Jul 09

This is a stupid idea.

If anything they should be removing pay parking if you’re at any location for your employment.
To have to pay to park my car to go to work is ridiculous.

On the other hand if this does come to fruition I’ll have more reasons to go out and get myself a new motorbike

Wallly1972 Wallly1972 3:04 pm 29 Jul 09

According to Gary Rake on 666 this morning the NCA would get the funds and then pay the ACT for management services.

The ACT government should invest more in public transport, including park & ride facilities. However, comments like “My message to Jon Stanhope is this: fix the buses, then we’ll talk about paid parking!” remind me of a chicken and an egg!

I’m happy to pay.

S4anta S4anta 2:44 pm 29 Jul 09

Boom gate the Parliamantary triangle, and make them pay on toll on exit.

Simple.