News

Daily flights from Canberra
to Singapore and the world

Anzac Park West

By Pandy 15 July 2008 55

Sorry guys but I asked this question tonight in an other post.

Anzac Park West that was refurbished for the AFP until they pulled the pin: who occupied it before?

I have heard that it had a “secure area” in the basement. So was it part of the intelligence community in the past or what? Was it linked to ASIO?

BTW is the new ASIO building not being built alongside it?

Why am I asking this question? mmmm you don’t need to know OK?

What’s Your opinion?

55 Responses to
Anzac Park West
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
p1 12:59 pm 17 Jul 08

Might be that the suburbs are a little too close these days for them to play that kinda game.

peterh 12:47 pm 17 Jul 08

back in the old days, when dunlop was paddocks, and macgregor was that suburb over the paddocks, you used to ride to the end of gininderra drive and continue down a dirt track, with jumps and puddles which was great for the mad bike riders.

You could skirt around the back of macgregor on dusty tracks and we would go to the treatment works to play fun games like (I still don’t believe we were so stupid) “if you fire an arrow straight up, where does it come down?” and “first one to run for cover is a chicken”. we always collected a few casings to show our parents, who could never follow us, (cars don’t fit on a dirt track) and would sufficiently freak them out.

of course, I remember when the motorbike track was in florey (another paddock) but it is now under houses.

p1 12:36 pm 17 Jul 08

the old treatment works in belco had a few sus casings around it…

These old treatment tanks?

Haven’t seen any out there, but then wasn’t looking for them.

peterh 12:09 pm 17 Jul 08

p1 said :

Every so often while exploring abandoned buildings you find cartridge casings which are only available to government organisations, so they are used for training of some sort.

the old treatment works in belco had a few sus casings around it, I remember we used to collect them.

p1 11:44 am 17 Jul 08

peterh 10:11 am 17 Jul 08

Pandy said :

Some people work. Yes I did google, no use. Yes I heard stories from ex-mil guys over the years. Then a recent incident got me thinking was there more going on.

Not saying anything more, unless you are a MIB

if we were, you would have already known that, and probably wouldn’t be posting again….

seriously though, did anyone else see the glaring fault of putting all the afp resources into one building? Not good from a threat perspective, better to have multiple sites across the ACT – reduces the potential for knocking out the entire infrastructure of our law enforcement department.

wishuwell 9:58 am 17 Jul 08

PBO, infact the exercises are that common I now get Defence to pay for a weekend away.

PBO 9:05 am 17 Jul 08

Ummm, was the recent incident a counter terrorist training exercise (held there quite regularly)? These things are advertised and they do explain strange activities that regularly occur there.

Pandy 6:00 pm 16 Jul 08

Not saying anything more, unless you are a MIB

peterh 5:09 pm 16 Jul 08

PBO said :

Pandy, what has been said here is all open source information that can be obtained by simply looking in a directory or even, god forbid, google. So why should we be expecting visits from fictional security agencies? And you still havent answered the question…..

pandy?

are you there?

maybe the MIB got him for asking questions in the first place….

PBO 4:03 pm 16 Jul 08

p1 11:10 am 16 Jul 08

Defence EMU (Electronic Media Unit)was there, because I did work experience there in the mid nineties. Incidentally, apart from video, most of the media they worked with wasn’t electronic at that stage; but I imagine that the name had been created as a way of showing how up to date they were.

Some of the stuff they didn’t release because it was pretty nasty (remember Rwanda?) but nothing was particularly secret, cause they let me wander around…

piperdoon 9:49 am 16 Jul 08

I worked in APW in 1978 in the wing parallelling parkes way. That was with the Department of Productivity which in those days had disparate entities like the patents office, defence munitions etc.

The wing parallel to Anzac Parade had a secure floor rumoured to be ASIo (or Attorney General’s department if you read the floor indicators. – taking the lift up if you landed on their floor by mistake you entered into a small foyer with a glass viewing window/mirror, keypad and speaker – real secret squirrel stuff. the basement of that wing I believe either then or a bit later also held a weapons testing area for the police – weapons forensics stuff.

the basement of the parkes way wing was a dismal, dusty file area back then too!

peterh 9:42 am 16 Jul 08

Pandy said :

All,
Thanks for stating that secret stuff happended there.

Now, expect a visit from the MIB

you still haven’t answered the question, why did you want to know?

bd84 9:08 pm 15 Jul 08

TERRORIST!

sepi 8:43 pm 15 Jul 08

Anzac Park West just had various bits of Defence that didn’t fit at Russell I thought.
It had the Defence photography and video branch for quite a while in the basement. – For published media type photos that is, not anything more special.

Pandy 6:58 pm 15 Jul 08

All,
Thanks for stating that secret stuff happended there.

Now, expect a visit from the MIB

I-filed 6:32 pm 15 Jul 08

BMR was there in the 1970s peterh – are you talking back that far?

shenanigans 6:24 pm 15 Jul 08

I’m fairly sure it’s been established that there’s no tunnel between the two buildings. My mates and I used to skate in there at night and we would have seen something. The more interesting question is: what will APW be now that the AFP are not moving in?

caf 5:17 pm 15 Jul 08

It wouldn’t surprise me if there was a short tunnel between APW and APE at some stage, if they were both occupied by Defence at the same time. Tunnels allow documents to be carried from one building to another without the hassle involved with taking them outside the security perimiter.