Ask RiotACT: Removal of storm damaged tree at front of house

Sandy T 23 February 2018 7
Ask RiotACT

Hi Rioters,

In January during one of the big storms in Canberra, I had a large tree come down in my front yard. The tree caused damage to the front of my house.

The SES was great, and came and secured my roof (which had damage) and made everything safe.

My insurance company has since organised most of the repairs.

The one thing I’m not sure of is whose responsibility it is for the removal of the remainder of the tree.

The main central trunk came down, but there are now 2 branches left leaning towards the road. My insurance assessor said he made a note that it was unsafe. He believed the insurance company would organise removal, however, they haven’t done anything and seem to be pushing the responsibility to the council (because the tree is leaning over the road near my letterbox).

Obviously, if I can get insurance or the government to remove it, that would be my preference. However, if it is my responsibility I’m happy to pay to have it removed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with
7 Responses to Ask RiotACT: Removal of storm damaged tree at front of house
David Brown David Brown 4:37 pm 25 Feb 18

I think that writing to the Minister and asking that question will quickly solve the problem.

Linda Leavitt Linda Leavitt 8:41 pm 24 Feb 18

If it’s on the nature strip it is the ACT’s responsibility and the removal can be requested on the Access Canberra site. If it is on the homeowner’s property-it is their responsibility. Sometimes it is necessary to obtain approval - not sure of that process.

    Elspeth Shannon Rollason Elspeth Shannon Rollason 12:37 am 25 Feb 18

    You will need to obtain approval if it is a certain size before getting it cut down. Whoever quotes you on the removal should be able to tell you the process. It can take time though.

    Natasha Van Oudheusden Natasha Van Oudheusden 2:56 am 25 Feb 18

    Make sure you use an accredited tree surgeon as they know what needs to be done and what can or cannot be done.

Nikkie Harper Nikkie Harper 8:40 pm 24 Feb 18

If the tree is in front of your water meter, it's on government land.

    Julie Macklin Julie Macklin 12:09 am 25 Feb 18

    Every house metre I have seen is on private property; near the boundary, but still on private property. The Icon Water site says, "Every household has a water meter on the property that is usually in the front yard close to your property boundary line." As stated, close, but that means not necessarily on the boundary, so it depends how far the tree is in front of the metre, whether it's on private or government land. On my block I would have room for a tree between the metre and the boundary, although it would be silly to plant one there. I do have a low hedge between the metre and boundary.

tate_alec tate_alec 8:44 am 24 Feb 18

If the tree is on your property, it is your responsibility to have it assessed and removed.
If it is in Commonwealth land (on the nature strip) then it is the responsibility of
If your unsure, give TCCS a call and they can come out and assess it for you.
I hope this helps.

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Region Group Pty Ltd

Search across the site