The 2014 Canberra and Capital Region Tourism Awards were announced at a gala presentation at the Canberra Theatre Centre on Wednesday night.
The awards celebrate the diverse Canberra region tourism experiences offered by an industry that contributes over $1.8 billion annually and employs more than 17,000 Canberrans.
This year saw a partnership with the National Capital Attractions Association (NCAA) to provide further support to entrants which resulted in a significant increase in the number of entrants.
The awards give tourism industry members a vehicle to promote and reward tourism operators while also providing significant support to continue to grow their businesses. A vibrant tourism sector is essential as we aim to reach our target to grow overnight tourism expenditure in the ACT to $2.5 million by 2020.
The award winners will represent the Canberra and Capital Region at the Australian Tourism Awards in Adelaide next April.
Award winners by category are:
- Questacon – the National Science and Technology Centre (Tourist Attractions)
- Mapping our World: Terra Incognita to Australia, National Library of Australia (Major Festivals and
- 2014 National Folk Festival (Festivals and Events)
- Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve (Ecotourism)
- Canberra Airport (Specialised Tourism Services)
- Canberra Institute of Technology (Tourism Education and Training)
- Hotel Realm (Luxury Accommodation)
- Hotel Hotel (New Tourism Development)
- Novotel Canberra (Qantas Award for Sustainable Tourism)
- Yass Valley Council (Local Government Award for Tourism)
- Capital Region Farmers Market (Excellence in Food Tourism)
- Dr Ron Radford AM (Outstanding Contribution by an Individual)
- Megan Rodd and Laura Raine (Young Achiever Award)
- Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve, Four Winds Vineyard and Bungendore Wood Works Gallery (Visitor
The ACT Government, through VisitCanberra, supports the awards by funding and administering the awards process as well as providing a range of value added initiatives.
The awards would not be possible without the support and sponsorship of local and national businesses.
(Andrew Barr Media Release)