Skip to content Skip to main navigation


Best place to build your
property career in Canberra

Becoming a certified responsible servant of alcohol

By johnboy 12 October 2010 26

[First filed: Oct 11, 2010 @ 14:03]

RSA certificate

As part of the Labor party’s efforts to get us all to drink at the Labor Club liquor law reforms everyone who ever serves alcohol under a liquor licence will be required, from 1 December 2010, to have a Responsible Service of Alcohol certificate.

Because I sometimes volunteer behind the bar at the Canberra Musician’s Club this meant I too needed to get certificated.

In fact hundreds of people across the ACT are going to have to get this grand looking piece of paper if they want to continue running small scale social events. (Or give up and just go to the Labor Club).

So here’s what’s involved.

In my case the CMC was organising and paying for my training. So an email arrived telling me to present at CIT’s Reid campus on a Tuesday evening with a driver’s licence and medicare card or birth certificate.

With some uncertainty we found the right room and started filling out paperwork and verifying our identity.

There then followed four hours of information tailored pretty much to working in the Labor Club based on slightly dodgy assumptions. It can be summarised thusly:

    — Don’t give people who are drunk more booze.
    — Offer to call them a taxi

There was a bit of role playing, mostly about how to divert anger.

There was a suggestion that if a taxi won’t take the gibbering heaving drunk perhaps offer to call a friend or family member.

(Imagine for a moment the reaction of your friends or family on getting that phone call).

The instructor went sort of misty eyed at one point when talking about drugs with alcohol and seemed regretful that he’d never been invited to that sort of party.

At one point members of the class started asking pointy questions about the internal contradictions of the course material and an angry irishman shouted “Fer gawd’s sake just shut up so we can get out of this farce”.

After four hours with a break for dinner we had a test which mostly seemed to involve repeating the two above points in different combinations.

Having completed this in about 10 minutes I wondered if I’d grossly misunderstood the nature of the test but really didn’t want to be there any longer.

The above certificate demonstrates that I had in fact understood it.

I’m really not sure how this process is going to make us safer, anyone who’s been to a decent party will start the course ahead of the material.

It is going to make a lot of money for CIT though.

What’s Your opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with
26 Responses to
Becoming a certified responsible servant of alcohol
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Davo111 8:29 am 15 Mar 11

4hrs? lucky you.

In NSW the minimum requirement is 6hrs.

chocomoonstar 7:20 am 15 Mar 11

Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) training is required for all staff serving alcoholic beverages. It teaches you on how to properly identify customers to whom service should be refused and help you prepare and serve alcoholic beverages responsibly. for more details you can check RSA Online]. see you!

Jethro 6:42 pm 12 Oct 10

neanderthalsis said :

cleo said :

I always thought the laws here were very relaxed, that’s putting it mildly, I did some part time work behind the bar here in Canberra, and was shocked that you could serve spirits in a jug with post mix

You mean that it is not normal around the rest of the country? A normal Sunday session only a few years ago used to be $10 Bundy jugs at the Vic in Brisbane. If you were nice to the bar staff they’d do you doubles. I don’t think RSA existed back then, we’re talking late 90’s early 00’s, but it was manna from heaven for a uni student.

Good ol Jugs and Hooters arvos at the Vic. I spent many a Sunday enjoying myself in their beer garden.

Growling Ferret 2:06 pm 12 Oct 10

Cost is $95 per person at CIT.

So for small and amateur sporting clubs who put on a canteen and sell a whole case of beer a week, its just another impost and painful reason not to sell grog.

By the time you add a liquor licence, ground hire, licence fees, amateur sporting clubs will be up to $500 a home game to the ACT Government. Bargain.

And the blokes who bring a case into a ground, sink it whilst watching a couple of hours of footy, then drive home regardless won’t be deterred in any way. Excellent/

rosscoact 12:06 pm 12 Oct 10

I did an RSA in NSW in the mid 90s when it came in as law. Didn’t seem to have any effect on business at all.

watto23 11:34 am 12 Oct 10

I think you’ll find that the RSA is more of a legal requirement than in anyway meant to train someone. I did one years ago when i was in Uni, certainly many employers requested that you hold such a certificate, regardless of the law or not.

I recently did the white card Worksite safety course run by the CIT. It was clearly all common knowledge, but aimed at the lowest common denominator. You had to get all questions right in the exam, but were able to “collaborate”, that said several people in the class struggled.

But it seems these kind of courses are all about saying you’ve been given the information. If you choose not to follow it then you can’t say you didn’t know.

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Copyright © 2018 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. | | |

Search across the site