A Bonner man will remain in custody after allegedly shooting a person with a .22 sawn-off rifle in Belconnen, resulting in serious gunshot injuries.
On Monday (22 March), ACT Police arrested 22-year-old Sugimatatihuna Bernard Gabriel Mena after an investigation into the shooting at a Spence home early on the morning of 11 March.
Police said the investigation began after the alleged victim arrived at Calvary Hospital with serious gunshot wounds.
Detective Inspector Marcus Boorman said when the man arrived in hospital he was deemed to be in a “critical and unstable condition” and had been shot once in the abdomen and had a number of other wounds.
“Any time someone gets shot the injuries can be very significant,” he said.
Detective Inspector Boorman said as part of the investigation police executed a search warrant and allegedly secured some significant evidence, including .22 calibre shell casings.
He said the investigation was ongoing and that two other people were assisting police with their inquiries, suggesting further charges would be laid.
Mr Mena did not apply for bail when he appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court on Tuesday (23 March), charged with intentionally inflicting grievous bodily harm and two counts of discharging a firearm endangering life.
Magistrate James Lawton read out the charges, which relate to the same alleged victim, and said the gun police alleged was used was a .22 sawn-off rifle.
Magistrate Lawton said Mr Mena would remain in custody until his next court appearance on 13 April. Pleas have not yet been entered.