Perhaps you are feeling overwhelmed by mounting financial pressure? You may have incurred more debt than you believe you can currently manage? Or maybe it is through challenging circumstances that you have been placed in this predicament? Whatever the reason, it sounds like you want to learn more about legal avenues that can help take you back into the black.
Recognising unserviceable debt is the first step in paving the way to resolution. Indeed, there are many options to consider. Informal agreements, debt agreements, and bankruptcy are all plausible scenarios to name just a few. That is why understanding how each of these can work for you is key to clearing the slate and reclaiming your financial health.
While bankruptcy is generally viewed as the last option, it can at times be a practical means of starting a new leaf and relieving financial duress. These benefits do come with some conditions, which is why seeking professional legal counsel is so vital.
Enter bankruptcy lawyers. A bankruptcy lawyer utilises legal frameworks to assist individual and business clients with reducing or eliminating debt. They can assist with bankruptcy proceedings; help protect assets from creditors; and find alternative ways to achieve a resolution.
But in uncharted territory where does one start? The good news is that we have compiled a list of some things to keep in mind when evaluating potential lawyers. We have also selected the best of the bunch in the Canberra region. Continue below to find out more.
What makes a great bankruptcy lawyer?
The best bankruptcy lawyers are accomplished legal professionals, guiding, and managing even the most challenging bankruptcy cases with compassion and conviction. They are ethical, emotionally intelligent, and experts in financial resolution. Here are some things to keep in mind when evaluating a bankruptcy lawyer:
- Qualified & experienced. Law is an incredibly complex field, requiring years of tertiary study. Following a degree, all lawyers are required to gain formal admission to the profession by the Supreme Court of the ACT. Additionally, they require a practising certificate. That said, qualifications are paper thin without some hard-earned experience. You will find that good bankruptcy lawyers have years of experience and the case history to prove it. Moreover, the best bankruptcy lawyers are fluent in a range of legal areas that straddle bankruptcy such as property, trust, tax, super, commercial, and family law.
- Specialised expertise. No two estates are ever the same. Some are straightforward while others are more complex, involving personal and business assets in several locations. As such, finding a bankruptcy lawyer that specialises in your area of need is incredibly important. It will ensure that they have the depth of knowledge to understand the ins and outs of the law. And importantly, the breadth of experience to advise accordingly.
- Reputable. While being hard to earn, a good reputation does spread quickly. Reputable lawyers are known for being leaders in their field, ensuring you will receive considered and well thought out advice. The best bankruptcy lawyers often come recommended. As such, seek out those bankruptcy and insolvency lawyers with reputable backing. Speak to colleagues, friends and family, other lawyers, even do some research and soon enough you will find a list of the most reputable lawyers in town.
- Compassionate. For many people, a declaration of bankruptcy is a painful and emotionally toiling decision. This makes finding a bankruptcy lawyer who genuinely hears and understands you ever more important. The best bankruptcy lawyers are emotionally intelligent, empathetic, and are deeply compassionate. As such, look for a bankruptcy lawyer that you connect with, one that understands your position and is prepared to give their all to support it.
- Explores options. Bankruptcy come with some far reaching, and long-lasting consequences. Because of this, a full exploration of potential resolutions should be conducted. The best bankruptcy lawyers are ethical, and as such are willing to present alternative options. They should take the time to understand your situation, how you got there, and ask some hard questions. This will ensure you have a thorough understanding of your options, reducing the possibility of making a regretful decision.
The best bankruptcy lawyers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
With over a decade’s legal service within Canberra, Kamy Saeedi Law have built an enviable reputation as one of the leading legal counsels in the region. They boast a balanced team of highly experienced partners and talented young lawyers who are passionate about helping people.
Their remarkably talented team are fuelled by a genuine desire to achieve the best possible outcome for each, and every client. So, when it comes to matters of insolvency and bankruptcy, they understand just how delicate this fine line can be.
With an extensive knowledge of the courts and legal systems, and the emotional toil that financial matters impose, the team at Kamy Saeedi Law are both hardworking and compassionate. Importantly, they recognise that each client’s circumstance is unique. They also believe that the best way to move forward is to fully understand available options.
Whether you are at risk of trading insolvently, seeking formal debt agreements, or considering bankruptcy, Kamy Saeedi Law will push the boundaries to present the best possible options. And, when it comes bankruptcy law, they will do all that they can help you reclaim your financial health.
Kamy Saeedi Law is dedicated to the Canberra community, and prides itself on being accessible to everyone. They offer honest, upfront, representation, high calibre legal advice, and a comprehensive emergency service.
If you are concerned about the ongoing costs of working with a lawyer when you’re already in financial difficulty, you can breathe easier knowing that Kamy Saeedi Law provides ongoing detailed cost estimates as your matter progresses.
Charmain Roberts shared this feedback on Kamy Saeedi Law on Facebook, “Outstanding guidance and assistance during a highly stressful time. Highly recommend this team who are always trying to achieve the best outcome.”
Emergency After Hours Contact: 1800 531 467
Baker Deane & Nutt (also known as BDN Lawyers) is a full service law firm that has helped Canberrans resolve issues like bankruptcy for more than 150 years. With so much experience, you can trust its team to help you make informed decisions about your debt.
Whether you need advice, guidance, or representation, BDN Lawyers delivers tailor-made legal services that will help you secure the best possible outcome. Committed to demystifying complicated legal situations, BDN can help you navigate your way to financial freedom.
Mike Hutchings shared his experience with Baker Deane & Nutt via Google, “Professional, efficient and friendly. Spent time following up and explaining details we were unsure of and made all necessary arrangements to organise our affairs in a timely manner. Definitely recommend.”
Whether you’re at risk of bankruptcy, already bankrupt, or a creditor who wants to recover debt from an insolvent debtor, Meyer Vandenberg Lawyers’ bankruptcy law experts are ready to help. With a thorough knowledge of each party’s powers, duties and entitlements, its team is committed to protecting your interests. They have strong connections with local bankruptcy trustees, which which enables candid and productive discussions to resolve issues and achieve optimal outcomes for all parties.
Meyer Vandenberg is Canberra’s largest independent law firm. When it comes to bankruptcy issues, you can expect to receive frank and fearless advice about the strength of your legal position, the likely outcome of any dispute, and full disclosure of all legal costs along the way. The team’s stellar qualifications speak for themselves – four of Meyer Vandenberg’s expert lawyers have recently been recognised amongst the best in the country, named in The Best Lawyers in Australia 2021 List. Rest assured that not only are you in extremely capable and professional hands at Meyer Vandenberg, but that you are also receiving the best service in the country.
As Julian Bahamon writes in their Google review, “Great company. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a solicitor in Canberra.”
Located in the heart of Canberra, Bradley Allen Love Lawyers (abbreviated to BAL Lawyers) boasts a strong reputation and impressive track record for achieving positive client outcomes in all aspects of commercial law – including bankruptcy issues.
Its commercial law team strives to serve clients with efficiency and integrity, and is committed to always meeting the highest standards of performance. The team also leverages the expertise of BAL Lawyers’ real estate, planning and employment law experts to ensure that you receive personalised advice that considers every relevant aspect of your financial situation.
Andrew Senti shared this great review on Bradley Allen Love Lawyers, “I was very impressed with the overall experience at BAL. Specifically, the services provided by both Ian Meagher and Katie Innes we’re fantastic. I have recommended BAL to a number of people and will continue to do so.”
If you’re looking for more information on bankruptcy related services in Canberra, you might like our article on the best law firms, the best insolvency and liquidation services, the best commercial lawyers or the best financial planners Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with bankruptcy lawyers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the bankruptcy lawyers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.