Australia is well regarded for its breath-taking landscape and diverse climate, providing year-round enjoyment of the great outdoors. Our lifestyle it seems most certainly reflects this. From our love of sport to a good old shrimp on the barbie, we welcome any outdoor opportunity with open arms.
Even in our most intimate surrounding – our homes; we are finding new and innovative ways to blend the inside and out. Here in our region, this approach is no different. Canberran’s have been nurturing a love of outdoor living for decades.
With our glorious climate, crisp air, and crystal-clear water, there is much to be gained from immersion outdoors. From gazebos in eras gone by to retro lattice alfrescos, we have experimented with it all.
And as our living spaces have merged, our need to extend to the outdoors has grown. Indeed, decks and pergolas are seemingly more popular now than ever before. With benefits a plenty, it is easy to see why.
Decks and pergolas are a wonderful extension to any property, providing added space for dining, living, and entertaining. From housing outdoor kitchens and barbeques through to fire pit installations the opportunities are endless.
These unique spaces bring gardens life, acting as transition spaces that bring greenery and life indoors. Importantly, decks and pergolas enhance home value – adding more square meterage of flexible usable space.
If you are looking to add a deck or pergola to your home, then you have come to the right place. Whether you are tackling an addition, renovation, replacement, or entire new fitting there are many choices to suit your needs. And whom better to assist than the regions finest deck and pergola builders. Read on to find out more.
What makes a great deck and pergola builder?
The best deck and pergola builders are accomplished and skilful trades, masterfully constructing outdoor living spaces with ease. To create a beautifully blended addition to your home and garden we suggest keeping an eye out for the following:
- Qualified, licenced, insured. When assessing your deck and pergola builder, this triple barrel of credentials is a must. Firstly, the best deck and pergola builders have completed formal training coupled with years of practical experience. At a minimum, your trade should have a certificate III in Carpentry, Joinery, or Building and Construction. Additionally, your deck and pergola builder should be licensed, with an A, B, or C class building licence. Be sure to check for any licence restrictions which may impact their ability to construct your deck or pergola. Finally, ensure your trades have appropriate insurance cover including public liability, workers compensation or contracts cover.
- Specialised expertise. From wraparound to multi-tier, attached or detached, in all manner of material finishes there are plenty of deck choices for buyers. Much the same can be said with pergolas, from custom to off the shelf, timber to fully electric the options are vast. With many styles of decks and pergolas available, specialised expertise is essential. This expertise brings a wealth of knowledge and ideas, along with handy solutioning skills should issues arise during design or build.
- Meticulous craftsmanship. Craftsmanship is often what separates a good deck or pergola from a great one. And, other than using the finest materials your budget can afford the best way to ensure this is by a meticulous eye for detail and quality craftsmanship. The best trades are happy to demonstrate the quality of their work by sharing expansive portfolios and visiting past projects. Look for clean finishes, sharp details, and work that has aged well. Also enquire about materials used and warranties that come with individual components, and the completed project itself.
- End to end service. The best deck and pergola builders are ultimate trade professionals who know what it takes to deliver super service. They offer complimentary consultations, take care of designs, manage council approvals, and have all required trades inhouse. A full turn-key solution ensures one team is accountable for delivering your deck or pergola, providing peace of mind.
- Conscientious communicators. Great deck and pergola builders are wonderful communicators, listen intently, and offer advice that serves their clients best interests. They are there when they say they will be, offer full transparency on costs and timelines and answer questions willingly. So, take the time to meet with each potential contractor and assess accordingly. Additionally, look for glowing customer reviews and personal recommendations as additional indicators. ere when they say they will be, listens more than they speak, offers advice in your best interests.
The best deck and pergola builders in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 22 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
With building knowledge and experience that spans three generations, MPR Decks have built an impressive reputation for delivering decks, pergolas, gazebos, and outdoor living spaces.
What sets MPR Decks aside is their focus on quality. They are also fully insured and committed to ensuring all projects meet building code requirements. For masterful hands and a seamless end to end process MRP Decks make for an excellent choice.
Sarah Binney shared her great experience with MPR on Google, “Marc and the MPR team were great! Marc was highly professional, punctual, and always very easy to communicate with…. MPR went above and beyond for my pergola project, and the finished product greatly exceeded my expectations.”
With over a decade in business Canberra Bespoke Creations are all about delivering a highly personalised service experience for one-of-a-kind decks and pergolas. Owner-operator Craig has built an excellent reputation for quality, being on site and on the tools himself.
With a passion for the best materials, salvaged timbers, and local suppliers, Canberra Bespoke Creations are well suited to those seeking a custom solution designed to match their home and needs.
Gillian Schwab shared this review on Google, “Craig built us a beautiful little pergola and we couldn’t be happier with his work. He delivered the job faster than estimated, was respectful of our budget, and very responsive with communication. Project turned out exactly as discussed. Highly recommended!!!”
Founded in 2012, ACT Decks designs and builds high-quality decks and pergolas. Services also include exceptional outdoor living areas, privacy screens, handrails and balustrades, stairs, gates, fencing, windows and doors. With extensive product knowledge, ACT Decks delivers a premium experience and uses high-quality materials. Over 1,200 projects have been completed. Visit the Fyshwick showroom.
On Google, Feona Sims wrote, “Quoting process was a positive experience. I appreciated the advice on materials selection. Arrived on time, friendly and professional.”
Canberra Decks is a locally owned business with over 25 years’ experience in the building industry. As one of the regions original deck and pergola contracts, their approach is centred on listening. Canberra Decks take the time to understand client needs and offering their expertise and suggestions to turn it into reality.
This award-winning team and licensed builder have built a reputation for quality, sustainable options, and customer satisfaction. Services include consultation, design, certification, build, and maintenance. For peace of mind with one of the regions best look to Canberra Decks.
Carol Grant shared this glowing review on Google, “Thanks to Leigh, Shannon and all the guys at Canberra Decks ... right from our initial consultation with Leigh everything was completed on time, on budget and we are very happy with our new deck. Would have no hesitation in recommending Canberra Decks to anyone who is looking for a professional company that definitely delivers!”
For assistance with other outdoor projects take a look at our articles on the best outdoor blinds and awning suppliers, the best rolling and plantation shutter suppliers, and the best home automation system installers in Canberra.
Your experience with deck and pergola builders in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the deck and pergola builders listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a pergola?
Originally built to support outdoor climbing plants, pergolas have now evolved into a series of structures for outdoor relaxation. Pergolas are often designed to interact with the garden, and varying roof options from closed, operable, semi shaded and to open; allowing natural light to penetrate through for a more natural feel. Pergolas can be freestanding or connected to a home, and typically incorporate plants as part of their design.
What decking materials are best suited to Canberra’s climate?
When it comes to decking, there are several material options each with their own advantages. The best material will depend on the style of deck desired, surrounding structures and/or roofs, along with things like location and exposure to the elements. Common materials include hardwood (Merbau, Blackbutt, Ironbark and Jarrah), softwood (Pine, Cedar and Redwood), composite wood, aluminium, and in some cases even stonework. To better understand options for your deck project, consult your local deck builder.
How much does decking cost?
Numerous factors will determine the total cost of your decking project including size and style, materials and timber selected, additional features, existing site conditions, elevation, overall complexity, plus any council permits. As a rough guide for the decking itself, except to pay $250 per square metre for treated pine, $350+ for hardwood, $400+ for composite and upwards of $1000 per square metre for cyclone rated decking. Note that additional features like steps or balustrades are extra. Contact your local deck and pergola builder for a quote that matches your needs.
Do in need approval to build a deck or pergola in Canberra?
Some deck and pergola projects in Canberra may not require development approval if they comply with relevant provisions as outlined in the Planning and Development Regulation 2008. There are several provisions regarding both covered and uncovered structures on the grounds of things like size, maximum height, finished floor height, roof area, whether affixed to a property, and proximity to boundary to name a few. For more information visit https://www.planning.act.gov.au/build-buy-renovate or consult your deck and pergola builder.
Do I need to hire an engineer for my deck or pergola installation?
In some instances, an engineer may be needed to certify that the foundation upon which a pergola or deck are affixed is suitable. Moreover, some decks or pergolas will also carry minimum installation specifications which must be followed to ensure structural integrity. If in doubt, consult your supplier or pergola and deck builder; and remember to consult Planning ACT.