From 1950’s California to mainstream Canberra today; skateboarding has grown to be as much of a sport as it is an artform. Generation after generation, Canberran’s have pounded the pavement in a bid to master technique – or simply just to say we can do it!
And while fads will come and go, skateboarding has remained perennially popular – but it isn’t hard to see why. These boards on wheels have been metaphorical bastions of freedom and youthful spirit for as far back as I can remember. Skill, swiftness, and seaming ease are all hallmarks of the most accomplished skateboarders.
As the world has evolved, so too has our humble skateboard. Today, electric or e-skateboards, are an attractive option when it comes to speedy travelling in style. These motor-powered masterpieces provide the same thrills, but with greater ease – and of course comfort.
Thanks to a recent change in our local laws, the use of electric skateboards has exploded across the Canberra region. Whether for recreation, the environment, or to simplify the commute, there is something hugely appealing about covering distances more easily.
But, as with all new technology, purchasing an electric skateboard is not without its reservations. No doubt you have a raft of questions, from operation, to servicing, repairs, and more. Thankfully we have rounded up some of the best electric skateboard suppliers in the region, so do read on below.
What makes a great electric skateboard supplier?
The best electric skateboard suppliers are movers and shakers in the world of personal mobility. They relish the benefits that a lighter footprint brings, and are passionate about starting – and keeping your wheels rolling. Here are a few things to look out for:
- Knowledgeable crew. While skateboarding is indeed mainstream, electric skateboards are very much still a niche purchase. And as with buying any specialised product, you really want safe hands guiding your purchase decision. Therefore, when it comes to shopping around for your next e-skateboard look for a team who know really know their stuff. They should be experts at product knowledge, operational use, and troubleshooting. Importantly, they should also use the products themselves!
- The right range. As with all automated products there are a myriad of options available on the market to suit your specific use. Whether you are after a dual set, specific deck material or motor type, your supplier should have a product to suit. The best electric skateboard suppliers stock the right range of products to match their customer segments. Therefore consider your needs and shop accordingly.
- Quality options. If you are standing on a board charging forward at 25km per hour, you will want some quality assurance! This means well-made products, assembled from quality parts, and premium components. Quality also translates to ease of use; think high charge rates, decent wattage, and lightweight materials. As a rule of thumb, you will generally get what you pay for, so consider your needs and pair accordingly.
- Warranty. Sometimes things don’t always go as planned, and this is why product warranty is so important. Look for suppliers who carry products with a post sale warranty period. Moreover, be sure to clarify the terms of coverage, including what is deemed as wear and tear or not. Also take the time to review the manufacturer, how long they have been in business, and past customer reviews. This will all help to inform your decision; and offer peace of mind.
- Parts & servicing. Unless you are an avid user of electric skateboards already, you will probably need some guidance with maintenance requirement. Much like a car, your electric skateboard will need some servicing to ensure optimal operation and performance. Moreover, there may come a time when a part of two needs to be replaced. Therefore, widen your search to those retailers who also offer parts and servicing.
The best electric skateboard shops in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Locally based Ion DNA is the brainchild of former rally driver Rob Ogilvie, who opened its doors in 2018 to be an early mover in electrically powered performance products.
As president of the peak industry body for independent motor vehicle importers, the Registered Automotive Workshop Association, Rob saw a market opportunity for electric cars. Fast forward five years and this now includes e-personal mobility devices such as skateboards, bikes, and scooters.
Conveniently located in Fyshwick, they boast Australia’s first dedicated all-electrical vehicle showroom, full to the brim of the latest that the field has to offer. Their range currently includes the award-winning Nissan Leaf and highly regarded Honda-e.
For easy everyday e-mobility solutions, Ion DNA also stocks commuter and performance electric scooters, bikes, and skateboards. To offer some added protection look to their range of safety gear, and for peace of mind they also offer authorised products.
Ion DNA strives to provide consumers with real choice through their comprehensive range of affordable zero emission eco-friendly cars and e-personal mobility devices. They also pride themselves on their no-pressure approach, a refreshing change which stems from a relaxed customer approach.
Ion DNA are committed to deliver outstanding service and exceptional product knowledge across the phone, web, through socials, or face to face. They are steadfast in their approach to ensuring all customers are able to experience the game-changing benefits that electric vehicles bring.
Anyone considering making the switch to an electric skateboard should definitely pay this team a visit.
Sinch 9 shared this glowing review on Google, “Highly recommended! …. The show room has a great range of electrical vehicles from big to small. Friendly and knowledgeable staff that will go out of their way for customers which is rare these days.”
In five short years Walksmart have grown to be a leading supplier and servicer of e-mobility products across Canberra and Sydney. Stocking quality electric skateboards, scooters, and bikes, they boast a 360 offering with retail and servicing conveniently under the one roof.
Their wonderfully skilled team are able to assist with sales and after care, with an in-house workshop for minor repairs and a complete service centre for parts and maintenance. For locally warehoused stock, competitive pricing, and service with a smile look to Walksmart.
Melenos shared this great review on Google, “Great service, business, prices and set up. Really recommend them.”
If you’re looking for other greener mobility options in Canberra, you might like our article on the best electric scooter shops and servicing, the best places to buy electric cars, the best electric bike shops and the best bike shops and servicing Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with electric skateboard shops in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the electric skateboard suppliers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do electric skateboards work?
Electric skateboards are much like regular skateboards except they contain a battery, motor, motorised wheels, and a remote to help make them work.
What do electric skateboards cost?
While electric skateboards do range in price, you can expect to pay anywhere from $1,200 to upwards of $3,500 per piece. The price typically varies based on material composition, features, and optional extras.
Are electric skateboards legal?
Laws for the use of electric skateboards are determined at a state or territory level, therefore they differ based on where you are in Australia. Within the ACT, electric skateboards are most certainly legal. Electric skateboards are classified as a personal mobility device, along with e-scooters and Segway-like devices.
Where can I ride an electric skateboard in the ACT?
Within the ACT electric skateboards are permitted for use on footpaths, shared paths, and nature strips. They can also be used on private property where road and transport laws do not apply without restriction. That said, electric skateboards are not permitted on roads or bicycle lanes. It is worth nothing that they many only use the road if there is no footpath, shared path, or nature strip, or if impractical to travel on one of those areas. If road use is required, the rider must cross by the shortest and safest route and only while necessary. For further details visit the Access Canberra website.
Do you have to wear a helmet riding an electric skateboard?
Yes, a helmet is required while riding an electric skateboard within the ACT. There are other additional requirements including, but not limited to, a warning device such as a bell, and the use of lights and reflectors at night, which are worth noting. For further details visit the Access Canberra website.