The Best Hair Salons in Canberra

373

Looking for a top-quality hair salon in Canberra but not sure where to start? You’ve landed in the right place. We’ve consulted our readers’ feedback and come up with a stellar list of hairdressers in the region that’ll leave your locks perfectly styled.

What makes a great hair salon?

How can you make sure your trip to the salon ends with a great head of hair – not instant regret? We suggest keeping an eye out for the following traits:

• Experienced staff. The best hair salons in Canberra hire fully trained staff with years of on-the-job experience. They know exactly how to achieve the specific look you want. And, if you’re not sure, they’ll guide you towards a style that will flatter your features.
  • A great reputation. One of the best ways to gauge the quality of a salon is to read up on client reviews. Have others been happy with their results? If so, you’re more likely to be happy with yours.
  • Fairly priced. There’s no doubt about it, hairdressers can be pricy. At the end of the day, you should get what you pay for.
  • Excellent colouring skills. Hair colouring is a whole other challenge. The best in the industry can mix the perfect shade for your colouring.
  • Perfect hygiene. There’s nothing worse than entering a hair salon with hair everywhere, questionable combs, brushes and a suspicious pile of towels in the corner. Always look for a clean and hygienic salon.

The best hair salons in Canberra

RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.

To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.

Ready to transform your look and achieve the locks you’ve always wanted? Let’s go!

Cataldo's Salon

Karen, Emilio and Angelo pride themselves on their award-winning salon and team of 16 colourist and stylists, both master and emerging. With a full price list on the website, no price point anxiety will occur as you know exactly what you will be paying for. Great quality work and impeccable service.

Facebook reviewer Karen says, “From the minute I walk in the door to the minute I walk out feeling like a superstar! I always leave feeling ready to take on the world.”

Shine Hairdressing

At the new location in Franklin, Emily and her team of exceptional hairdressers enjoy producing the best salon experience for all clients. With a focus on finer details and personalised services, the coffee you drink will be exactly how you like it.

Facebook reviewer Olivia says, “I love this salon and all the staff that work there. The wonderful team at Shine have been keeping my hair beautiful for the past 10 years.”

La Bimbi Canberra

For over 16 years Gess Mazis and her award-winning team have been cutting, styling and colouring the hair of the Canberra region. Gess encourages ongoing training to allow herself and staff to reach their full potential, allowing customers to reap the benefits.

Facebook reviewer Pat says, “Amazing service, price AND result! 100% happy!”

Off London

Centrally located, off London Circuit in Canberra’s CBD. This quality salon is owned by brother and sister team, Luke and Annalise. With over 19 years of experience, clients will walk out pleased with new and trendy styles.

Facebook reviewer Joshua says, “Off London is simply a fantastic salon. The staff are friendly and accommodating and all the stylists are brilliant, creative and knowledgeable.”

Franco of Canberra Hair Salon

Ever evolving and always delivering, Franco’s has been in business for 62 years. Senior stylist Francesca is travelling to Switzerland as the national representative in the Intercoiffure team. With the added benefits of new premises, updated techniques and unique projects, Franco’s is always cozy, whilst ensuring excellent hairstyling outcomes.

Facebook reviewer Maddie JF says, “Absolutely so impressed by the service and my end result. It was just a great experience!”

Axis Hairdressing

Adam and Michelle from Axis Hairdressing believe in a great environment for both staff and clients. With sharp standards, clients can expect to have a great hairdressing experience. Specialising from trendy to corporate styles, Axis caters to any type of client.

As Google reviewer Sinead says, “The team at Axis are amazing! I’ve been a client for over 3 years and I always walk out with beautiful hair.”

Antics Hair

Antics hair focuses on cut, colour and style via excellent and realistic consultations. Being one of Canberra’s highest regarded salons, Antics pride themselves on quality and consistency.

Facebook reviewer Rebecca says, “A big thanks to Cindy, Jian and Kiki for excellent service today. It was my first time at a new hairdresser based on RiotACT review and they did not disappoint.”

Anton's Hair Studio

Contemporary hair designs or latest fashion styles, Anton and his family will ensure that you feel a part of the family. Located in the city, Anton’s stock beautiful hair products and are dedicated to each client, making sure your next haircut experience is excellent.

As Google reviewer Christiona M says, “Had a wonderful hair experience at Antons Hair Studio. Atmosphere is cleanly and welcoming. Customer service is exceptional and the hair cut and treatment I received was beyond anything I could have hoped for.”

Your experience with hair salons in Canberra

Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.

Have you had experience with any of the hair salons listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.

373 Responses to The Best Hair Salons in Canberra
Aquila Aquila 9:25 am 07 Nov 12

Its Hair Spectrum from the Westfield mall. They have notices all over their current salon advising customers of the pending move. The hairdresser I spoke to said they were moving because most of their clientele is public servants, so the new location will be closer for them. I wonder, though, if the rent Westfield charge may also be a factor.

fabulous_miss fabulous_miss 2:56 pm 10 Nov 12

Thanks for the info 🙂

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 7:25 pm 10 Nov 12

I’m glad that pressing matter was sorted pronto…

poetix poetix 9:28 pm 10 Nov 12

Pork Hunt said :

I’m glad that pressing matter was sorted pronto…

Yes, it was a curly one. But information straightened it out. And brought the fringe into the mainstream. Falseness was foiled! And disinformation dyed.

kiko kiko 12:34 pm 10 Dec 12

XO_VSOP said :

I second ‘Rhubarb & Me’, Axis is good however steer clear of the biggest gossip monger in hairdressing Adam, any other of the girls are great!

I have been a client of Adams for 12 years and have never heard him engage in any gossiping? Strange doesnt sound like the Adam I and many of my friends\collegues know. If you want a great haircut in the ACT region, Adam’s reputation speaks for itself

fabulous_miss fabulous_miss 2:43 am 29 Dec 12

Given that this site is a great resource to ask questions about our local community, I find sad that there are people that feel the need to make stupid comments. Good on you.

Masquara Masquara 6:56 am 29 Dec 12

fabulous_miss said :

Comb on, pony up and stick to the mane game peeps!

birder birder 7:35 am 29 Dec 12

fabulous_miss said :

Ignore them. You usually get at least one idiotic comment for every post you make. The incredible value of the riot act is worth developing a bit of a tough skin. 🙂

Masquara Masquara 8:14 am 29 Dec 12

birder said :

fabulous_miss said :

Puts, um, hair on your chest!

poetix poetix 8:27 am 29 Dec 12

fabulous_miss said :

Yes, this site would be so much better with no jokes in serious threads about hairdressers in Belconnen. Those of us who contribute nothing of substance here should really go away, and leave it to those happy rollers who drop by occasionally just to up-style the tone.

For the perm of our natural lives.

Mr Evil Mr Evil 11:41 am 29 Dec 12

birder said :

fabulous_miss said :

Or maybe some people are just a bit cynical about astroturfing?

“Does anyone know about the awesome new gym/cafe/rag shoppe/double glazing shop/etc that’s opened next to the blah, blah, blah….?”

Masquara Masquara 5:21 pm 29 Dec 12

poetix said :

fabulous_miss said :

For the perm of our natural lives.

Or “capital” punishment …. let’s knot go there …

poetix poetix 7:17 pm 29 Dec 12

Masquara said :

poetix said :

fabulous_miss said :

For the perm of our natural lives.

Or “capital” punishment …. let’s knot go there …

That’s dyer. Let’s stop this shocking teasing.

hs109 hs109 8:10 am 03 Mar 13

I would also be careful about insurance issues. Often cheaper hairdressing comes at a price and if something were to happen, and the person wasnt insured you would be left in the cold.
Having someone come to your home you dont know also carries a risk.
I know hairdressers who are salon based, insured and professional who will visit peoples homes if you are disabled and unable to leave the home for some reason, but they charge salon rates. Usually not a surcharge for travel if you are in the canberra area.

BimboGeek BimboGeek 6:52 pm 03 Mar 13

I love all these “what about insurance if something went wrong” comments.

Last time something went wrong with a haircut was at Tony and Guy after a fantastic photo shoot. The hair looked great at the shoot and terrible after.

It cost to get it fixed at a model/actress specialist but where was the insurance supposed to come into it? Do you people actually launch legal action in response to a bad haircut?

Cherrypom77 Cherrypom77 1:30 pm 19 Mar 13

Hi all – follow up to this is that Hairhouse Warehouse opened in Gungahlin just before Xmas 2012, and I thought I would give them a go….SUCCESS! I haven’t had any major things done there but a good haircut and blow dry with a conditioning treatment set me back $60 or so, which I think is pretty good considering my hair is long and thick and onerous to ‘do’. Amanda and the girls are all friendly, family affair I think and there is a mixed clientele meaning they are able to handle modern and more traditional requests. Not super posh, and located opposite Woolworths but for good value and good results this is worth considering.

KT67 KT67 2:32 pm 19 Mar 13

Edge Hair at O’Connor shops, my wife is always happy with them.

Yolanda Yolanda 1:08 pm 03 Dec 13

Definitely Cataldo’s in the city. Fantastic stylists – http://www.cataldos.com.au – They’re in Woden too I think.

vivi vivi 6:30 pm 21 Feb 14

Mark @ mest (Manuka) and Boyd @ Shi (Kingston) are both stand-up guys!

HTH

Roundhead89 Roundhead89 8:19 pm 21 Feb 14

vivi said :

Mark @ mest (Manuka) and Boyd @ Shi (Kingston) are both stand-up guys!

HTH

When I was a kid my father used to refer to a lame joke as “a seven day joke” (week/weak).

I wonder what he would call a joke which takes more than four years for someone to get.