The Best Hair Salons in Canberra

373

hair salon Canberra

A stylish hair cut that suits your face, colouring, personality and lifestyle is a major boost to your confidence.

If you’ve ever been to a hair salon that doesn’t cut it, you’ll understand the importance of choosing a skilled and experienced stylist who will make you look amazing. But with so many hair salons in Canberra, how do you know which one to choose?

In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a hair salon, and share where to find the best in Canberra

What makes a great hair salon?

Choosing the right hair salon will get you the best cut and colour and take the stress out of worrying about how you’ll look. The stylists at the best hair salons will advise you on the best shape and colour for your hair.

It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a hair salon.

• Experience. Great hair salons have fully trained and experienced stylists who know how to achieve a look that flatters your features. They also have strong support staff who keep the salon running smoothly.
  • Reputation. One way to gauge the quality of a salon is to read their website to see what credentials they hold, whether they’ve won awards and how long they’ve been in business. You can also check out reviews online.
  • Price. You’ll want to choose a hair salon that suits your budget and gives you value-for-money.
  • Technique. The best hair salons are skilled at cutting, colouring and styling, so you don’t have to head to multiple places to look fabulous.
  • Hygiene. You’ll want a salon with excellent hygiene practices – one that is neat, tidy and super clean.

The best hair salons in Canberra

RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.

To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.

Franco of Canberra Hair Salon

Ever evolving and always delivering, Franco’s has been in business since 1956. Stylists work closely with clients to achieve their vision. The salon’s mission is to provide an open and ever-changing space in which stylists, artists and clients can work together to create not just better hair, but an overall better sense of purpose, self-worth and personal accomplishment.

Damian Lockett wrote on Google, “Wonderful salon, with very friendly staff. I had a very, very good haircut from Juan, who introduced the razor haircut. I can highly recommend Franco’s. ”

Shine Hairdressing

At the new location in Franklin, Emily and her team of exceptional hairdressers enjoy producing the best salon experience for all clients. With a focus on finer details and personalised services, the coffee you drink will be exactly how you like it.

Facebook reviewer Olivia says, “I love this salon and all the staff that work there. The wonderful team at Shine have been keeping my hair beautiful for the past 10 years.”

Antics Hair

Antics Hair focuses on cutting, colouring and styling, starting with excellent and realistic consultations. Indeed, the team at this highly regarded salon, believes consultation sparks the imagination and enables clients to get the style and haircut they’re looking for.

On Google, Jelena Milicevic wrote, “The ANTICS team are FABO and make you feel amazing inside and out. The extra touches and ambient is first class. I highly recommend!”

Off London

One of Canberra’s top ranked salons, Off London has been cutting and colouring hair since 1999. This leading salon has an energetic vibe and a reputation for delivering fashion-forward designs in a personalised, friendly atmosphere. To stay on top of market trends and techniques, Off London’s stylists continually upskill through training programs.

On RiotAct, Larissa wrote, “Off London is hands down, no debate, THE most pleasing hair experience!”

Rare Hair

Rare Hair’s precision styling works with the natural fall of each client’s hair, the shape of their face, their lifestyle and fashion sense. Cutting and colouring services are offered in a boutique environment. Rare is owned by Adam Noble, the only Canberran to have won the title “Australian Hairdresser of the Year”.

On Facebook, Graham Rendoth wrote, “Best styl’n haircut ever … went in with an old surfie look, thought I’d maybe get close to mid-length Robert De Nero, walked out looking like Steve McQueen!”

Axis Hairdressing

Axis Hairdressing strives to take the hairdressing experience to another level. Specialising in trendy to corporate styles, Axis caters to all types of clients.

On Google, Melissa Grinlinton wrote, “I called first thing on a Saturday morning following a hair disaster at another salon and Axis made the time to see me that day, came up with a plan to salvage my hair, had me booked in the following week to fix it, and sent me home with great advice …”

La Bimbi Canberra

For over 16 years Gess Mazis and her award-winning team have been cutting, styling and colouring the hair of the Canberra region. Gess encourages ongoing training to allow herself and staff to reach their full potential, allowing customers to reap the benefits.

Facebook reviewer Pat says, “Amazing service, price AND result! 100% happy!”

Anton's Hair Studio

Recognised in the hairdressing industry for more than 40 years, Anton’s Hair Studio is known for contemporary hair designs or the latest fashion styles. The salon has won a large number of industry awards and accolades for their cutting and colouring.

Ingrid Cucchi wrote on Google, “Have been coming to Anton’s for nearly 20 years – love the family, love the service, love the great hair styles. I always walk out feeling a million dollars and cared about.”

Cataldo's Salon

Cataldo’s, a multi award-winning hair salon established in 1965, is visionary in approach and attitude. The salon is inspired by the world’s dynamic fashion industry and committed to the perfect style for each and every client. The team of stylists believes hair is and individual statement, a form of expression, style and art.

Alexsandra Patrizi wrote on Google, “Always a lovely experience with a great crew! Professional, quick, a nice chat and a coffee/tea. I love having my hair cut!”

If you’re looking for more information on beauty treatments in Canberra, you might like our articles on the best eyelash extension salons, best nail salons and best beauty salons Canberra has to offer.

Your experience with hair salons in Canberra

Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.

Have you had experience with any of the hair salons listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does it cost to get my hair cut and coloured?
The cost varies depending on factors like the type of hair you have, the style you're after and what services you want. With colouring, for example, adding foils to your hair will increase the cost. Check to see if your salon offers a free consultation session and ask for a specific quote then.
How do I determine what hairstyle is best for my face shape?
Stylists at quality salons are trained to help you determine the best hairstyle for your face shape. They’ll also consider other factors like the texture of your hair, your personality and your lifestyle.
Which colour will work best for me?
Choosing colour is an art in and of itself and a quality colourist will talk you through options based on factors like your eye colour, skin tone and even the best colour for the season.
What happens if I’m not happy with my cut and colour?
Check the salon’s policy before you visit the salon to see what will happen if you’re not happy with the end result. If the salon did exactly what you asked for, but you don’t like what you see, you may not get a full refund. If the salon didn’t do what they agreed to, you can push for a full refund or ask if the salon will fix your hair for free.
Can I just take a photo from a magazine in and ask for that look?
You can take a photo in, but a quality stylist will give you advice on whether it’s realistic to achieve that look. Sometimes clients (who aren’t experts in cutting and colouring) don’t understand that a certain cut and colour – even though they love it – might not work for their type of hair or the shape of their face.

373 Responses to The Best Hair Salons in Canberra
Alexandra Craig Alexandra Craig 1:45 pm 13 Oct 15

I go to Axis in Braddon 🙂

PigsFly PigsFly 1:18 pm 13 Oct 15

Sassy Hair in Weston and in Phillip (they also are in Charnwood but I haven’t been to that salon).

UnBeing UnBeing 12:59 pm 13 Oct 15

I have three: Me, myself and I, aided by a set of electric clippers

bluestocking bluestocking 10:00 am 18 Jul 15

I am looking for a hair and make-up stylist for a photo shoot of 21 year old male – is there anyone in the Canberra region? I’d prefer a male, or a female who has experience of male models.

pink little birdie pink little birdie 11:10 am 27 May 15

Hair by Charles in Civic is fantastic.
But I have the long, thick, co-operative hair that hairdressers like to play with but don’t get too very often… (because it’s also that the girls tend to have this type of hair are lazy with it and it takes ages at a hairdresser).

adamciaccia adamciaccia 9:40 pm 26 May 15

timesup said :

MrLonsdale24 said :

My wife and I live in the Mode3 Building on Lonsdale St above the Axis Hairdressing Salon. The place is always full. My wife who is a client of Adam booked a haircut walking in off the street on a Saturday morning, The salon was full but they said they could do it if I waited 20 min. I was taken to a waiting area that resembled a cool micro cafe. They had a selection of beverages that blew my mind. Peroni beer, a wine of the day(I think it was a white/champagne) A variety of coconut water, juice, Coffee, herbal and regular teas…???????????? I was impressed. After one of the best coffees I’ve had in Lonsdale St(and I’m not joking) I was taken in to my chair, the person taking me in asked me to autograph the mirror? Cool, I wrote my name on the mirror. I had a brief chat about the cut, I like a fade with a part. Amazing shampoo/massage. Haircut was without doubt the best I’ve ever had

Axis might make a better cafe than hairdressers then, depending on what you value!

I didn’t want to hang around a noisy hairdresser salon for hours so I asked Gianni for an appointment at the quietest time, 9am on a Tuesday. I was kept waiting nearly half an hour before the consult with Adam, then again for a while after the wash so a trim (no colour, no change, he’d cut it at least 20 times before) took an hour and half. Not worth it.

Axis is a salon that is proud of its high positive energy, which music is a large part of, Axis isn’t open for clients on Tuesday mornings. 8:30-11:30am on Tuesday’s for the Last 22years have been allocated to closed in salon training. If your appointment was at 9am, it would have had to have been on a Wednesday or Saturday because they are the only days I start at 9am. It’s highly unlikely that I would run 30min late for my first appointment at 9am, but it may have been a day that the traffic was bad after doing school drop off for the kids, I’m not perfect. If I have cut your hair 20 times before I would have hoped you know me well enough to call me regarding your experience than post it here, and there is no way it would have taken 1.5 hours to cut your hair. Feel free to email me adam@axishair.com.au if you would like to discuss further, I take customer feedback seriously as a major part of my business development strategies

Kind regards
-A

timesup timesup 8:55 pm 24 May 15

MrLonsdale24 said :

MrLonsdale24 MrLonsdale24 8:31 pm 23 May 15

zllauh zllauh 6:39 pm 29 Mar 15

i have heard a lot about this la bimbi hair salon.
never tried though. If there are some cheap but still good salons , please tell 😛

carnardly carnardly 4:04 pm 29 Mar 15

it doesn’t NEED to be redone every 6-8 weeks. You CHOOSE to do that.

The sky won’t fall in if you don’t colour your hair as you do now, and you can accept what mother nature has given you and grow old gracefully. okay- you might look like a skunk with a stripe down the middle until it grows out, or you an cut it short and start again.

If you don’t like the money side of things, that’s fine, but nobody is putting a gun to your head forcing you to do it….

pruemz pruemz 9:51 pm 27 Mar 15

A price comparison is a good idea. I’ve been loyal to my hairdresser for nearly 20 years but the prices are high and getting very close to the $300 mark for colour and cut – which needs to be repeated every 6 – 8 weeks. I try to save money by not going to the premier cutter but it is just getting too expensive. Am going bohemian and am now at month 4 without a cut or colour.

Jinny287 Jinny287 8:05 pm 27 Mar 15

Grace at Shine hair salon in the city is fantastic. Always has great ideas and the service at this salon is second to none. I have been going here for about four years definitely worth a try.

marcothepolopony marcothepolopony 2:44 pm 27 Mar 15

At a reasonable price try CIT Hair and Beauty school at Reid.
Appointments are available 9am–4:30pm, Monday – Thursday.
6207 3246

sportsmum sportsmum 10:25 am 27 Mar 15

I’d be interested in a bit of a price comparison between hairdressers and the services they offer. OVer the years I’ve found a massive difference in price for the same services, with no discernible difference in the outcome. Next hair in Braddon was the most expensive colour I ever had – around the $300 mark for a half head of foils, whereas a mobile hairdresser did just as good a job of the same service for $120.

Brianna Brianna 8:52 pm 26 Mar 15

girl_about_town said :

Paul at Mattise in Belconnen is amazing http://www.matissehairandbeauty.com.au/ I always get comments on my great hair. Its not to $$ and can go to a beautician at the same time.

I have to agree. Paul at Matisse in Belconnen is great. Found him and not going anywhere now!

ButterflyBlack ButterflyBlack 8:19 pm 26 Mar 15

Meki Hair in Bruce is amazing! I have been going there for 6+ years and you NEVER get a bad haircut! See https://www.facebook.com/Mekihair

girl_about_town girl_about_town 4:32 pm 26 Mar 15

Maya123 Maya123 11:26 am 26 Mar 15

Hairdressers are too expensive for me. I would rather spend my saved money elsewhere. I find they are a waste of money and time, although time is personal and how you want to spend it is up to the individual. I just find going to a hairdresser boring. I get my hair cut for free. My mother cut it last night for me. It’s many years since I’ve paid to have my hair cut.

Amy Birchall Amy Birchall 10:10 am 26 Mar 15

My worst hair disaster was trying to go from dyed dark brown to blonde with a chemical stripper from the chemist. Never again.

I ended up with bright orange hair like Ronald McDonald and had to wait two weeks to get it fixed. $300 and several hours later, and it was still more orange than blonde. A very expensive mistake!

Becmaster78 Becmaster78 9:37 am 22 Feb 14

Easily Sid at Price Attack in Woden Plaza. Stumbled over him by accident and several woman at my work have changed long term stylists because of his amazing cuts, personality and price. He is honest and refreshing and a little cheeky. I adore him and would recommend him to anyone.

Region Group Pty Ltd