When it comes to buying business or personal insurance, it’s normal to have questions. What type of insurance do you need? Do you have the right level of cover to protect you if you suffer a loss? How do you know if you’re getting a good deal?
Insurance can be complicated, and engaging an insurance broker can save you time, money and worry. A qualified and experienced insurance broker provides you with professional advice, just like an accountant or lawyer.
Unlike an insurance agent who works on behalf of a particular insurer, an insurance broker, adviser or intermediary works in the best interests of the client.
Insurance brokers are experts in reading the fine print like terms and conditions. They have a deep understanding of risk, different types of insurance, and the benefits and exclusions of competing policy providers.
They also know the market and are aware of new and emerging risks that may have an impact on you and your business in the future.
What makes a great insurance broker?
Using an insurance broker or adviser doesn’t necessarily mean that your premium will be more expensive! Often it can save you money as brokers have an intricate knowledge of the market and the ability to negotiate coverage and competitive premiums on your behalf.
Here are a few points to consider when choosing a broker to help protect your assets:
- Qualifications and experience. Don’t be afraid to ask about your broker’s educational background and qualifications. They must have an Australian Financial Services Licence and be either a Practicing Insurance Broker (QPIB) or Certified Insurance Professional (CIP), and ideally your broker should be diploma qualified.
- A tailored approach. Each risk and business is different, so a one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t work when it comes to insurance. It’s okay to not know exactly what you need in an insurance policy. A good broker will work with you to understand you, your business and its requirements, provide advice on which risks to insure, and help you determine an appropriate level of cover to ensure you are protected.
- Access to a range of products and insurers. Not all policies are equal. It is important to be aware of coverage, exclusions and additional benefits that can vary from product to product. A particular insurer could have up to 20 versions of a business insurance package, depending on the distribution channel that you purchase at from. Some insurers also only deal with brokers or have products that are exclusive to the broking market. A good broker has buying power that gives them access to a vast range of products and reputable insurers, to ensure they are presenting you with the best options for your business.
- Advice and choice. When you engage an insurance broker, you are asking them to provide you with financial advice. At the end of the day, the decision-making process rests with you. A good broker should take the hassle out of insurance, present you with the options available and provide you with the tools to make an educated decision for you or your business.
- Someone who will be your advocate at the time of a claim. You purchase an insurance policy to protect you when you need it most. Claims can be complicated, so having an experienced business partner who understands you and your business is crucial to making the process as pain free as possible. A good broker will be there with you every step of the way and work with you and the insurer to achieve the best outcome possible, while some brokers choose to outsource their claims management to others.
- Service: When you engage a broker, you are paying for a service. A dedicated broker will take the time to understand you, your business and your service expectations as well as be responsive and contactable when you need them for help or advice.
- Honesty and integrity. Do your homework about the broker you’re considering. Have they been in business for a long time? What do other businesses say about their services? Are they committed to being honest and transparent with their clients?
The best insurance brokers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended insurance brokers according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
It’s no secret that business insurance can be confusing. That’s why allinsure makes insurance clear and easy to understand. Its Fyshwick-based team offers custom-designed insurance programs to suit your business, with a focus on delivering superior client service and fostering strong, long-term relationships. This unique client first and advice-based culture has seen them move to the forefront of the industry, gaining recognition on a national scale.
Since opening their doors in 2007, allinsure’s team of diploma qualified senior advisers have been committed to working with and for their clients by tailoring insurance programs to achieve outstanding outcomes, rather than pushing an off the shelf product. Most importantly, the local team are there when you need it most, providing a hands-on claims service for all clients.
allinsure is a corporate authorised representative of Insurance Advisernet, one of Australia’s largest networks of independent insurance advisers. This relationship allows them to maintain their local ownership and presence here in the Canberra region, whilst having the buying power to access to a wide range of insurer products and services needed by their customers in today’s increasingly complex business world.
The team also have a strong focus and history of giving back to the local community. With the establishment of their Community Engagement Program, the allinsure team are dedicated to supporting local charities, community organisations and sporting teams.
Happy customer Leisa shared her experience with allinsure in a Facebook review saying, “I’ve used Allinsure as our broker, claims support & general go-to-for-guidance on all things relevant to insurance … I have always found Peter & the team to be helpful, knowledgeable & happy to guide me through the challenges that were being experienced at the time.”
Based in Fyshwick, Capital Insurance Brokers can help you with a wide variety of insurance options, including business and domestic policies.
Its dedicated and qualified team are experts in seeking the best terms that suit your needs, ensuring that your general insurance portfolio is cost effective, and presenting the terms to you so you know exactly what you are and aren’t covered for.
In addition to general insurance products, Capital Insurance Brokers can assist with professional indemnity insurance, directors and officers liability cover, tax audit insurance and corporate and domestic travel insurance.
With 20 years of experience in the insurance industry and a passion for providing high quality service, Jamie Fluke and the team at Strive Insurance Services provide business and personal insurance services.
Strive Insurance Services is an authorised representative of NAS Insurance Brokers, so it has access to wide range of competitive insurance products. By getting to know you personally, Jamie makes sure you get the insurance cover you really need.
Whilst you’re looking for insurance brokers, you might also like to check out our articles on the best workers compensation insurance brokers and best business insurance brokers our city has to offer.
Your experience with insurance brokers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the insurance brokers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.