You’ve invested heaps of time and effort into a special event and want to make sure nothing goes off the rails. If so, you’ll understand the importance of a great Master of Ceremonies. This is someone with the right personality and style who acts as an official host for your event.
A Master of Ceremonies keeps your event on schedule and keeps your audience engaged. They also introduce performers or speakers.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a Master of Ceremonies, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great Master of Ceremonies?
Choosing the right Master of Ceremonies can make or break your event. It can also take the worry out of keeping your event on track. That includes for weddings, conferences, product launches, official openings, awards nights, fundraising events and gala dinners.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a Master of Ceremonies.
- Experience. You’ll want a Master of Ceremonies who is experienced and confident about their role and how to keep your event on time. Check online and discuss experience with the Master of Ceremonies before choosing one.
- Personality. While you’ll want a Master of Ceremonies who is positive, energetic and engaging, you won’t want one who acts like they’re the star of the show.
- Cost. There’s no standard fee for a Master of Ceremonies so compare costs and choose one that suits your budget.
- Expectations. A great Master of Ceremonies welcomes guests, introduces speakers and warms up the audience. They also keep things running smoothly and maintain audience interest. Finally, they wrap the event up. Make sure you and your chosen Master of Ceremonies have a common understanding of the role they’ll play.
- Delivery style and fit. No two Master of Ceremonies are the same. Select one who fits the aim and style of your event. This includes one with similar values. You’ll want a Master of Ceremonies who understands the brief and sticks to it.
The best Master of Ceremonies in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Host, presenter and conference facilitator Cam Sullings is highly experienced in being a Master of Ceremonies for many styles of events. For around 30 years, he has presented on corporate, community and sports stages. Cam was a full-time broadcaster for decades and still presents each Saturday on Mix 106.3 in Canberra.
Cam is one of Canberra’s most experienced event professionals, including for corporate events, awards evenings, product launches and charity events. Enthusiastic and professional, Cam always holds pre-event meetings to determine expectations and objectives. He conducts pre-event research and prepares well so events run smoothly, and audiences remain engaged.
On Google, Darla Hopkins wrote, “Cam was the MC at our Summer of Cricket Luncheon and did a fabulous job on the day and in the lead-up to the event. We were in regular contact in the weeks prior and he provided valuable advice when needed. He brought a light and friendly air to the event and was very efficient in keeping everything running to time.”
If you’re looking for more information on running events in Canberra, you might like our articles on the best event planners, best function venues, best sound and lighting companies and best catering services Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with Master of Ceremonies in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the Master of Ceremonies listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.