Best of Canberra – Bacon & Egg Roll

Canfan 18 August 2014 33
bacon-egg-roll-stock

This week I want to hear your opinion on Canberra’s Best Bacon and Egg Roll. You’re either a lover or a hater, but for all you lovers of that bacon and runny egg goodness (I personally like a bit of cheese and BBQ sauce) – where is your go to spot when you want a bacon and egg roll that will hit the spot every time.

33 Responses to Best of Canberra – Bacon & Egg Roll
astrojax astrojax 10:43 pm 19 Aug 14

KierannolongerAP said :

$5 gets you a 2 egg (soft not runny) on a long bun with half a pigs worth of slightly crunchy bacon. Perfect. ACT Chook Shed. Only problem is the noddy dogs at the desk about an hour later…

this i’ll have to try – was going to write that no-one does an egg n bacon sanger like i do it myself, ’cause no-one crisps the bacon properly, til almost burnt, and the buns are usually too soft and blah…

KierannolongerAP KierannolongerAP 9:18 pm 19 Aug 14

Madam Cholet Madam Cholet 7:59 pm 19 Aug 14

thatsnotme said :

Madam Cholet said :

The Cupping Room. Based on taste, price and quality of ingredients. No cheese thanks (yikes!).

Everything about their E&B roll is good…except the bun. I don’t know whether it’s a brioche bun or not, but it’s waaaay too sweet. Ruins the whole thing.

Yep, it is a brioche bun. I’m not a fan of brioche ordinarily, too sweet, but I find it works here. Anything Cupping Room is good….except their muffins. Never had one I’ve liked.

jpeek jpeek 7:42 pm 19 Aug 14

The Egg & Bacon roll at Jamossa (220 Northbourne Ave) is one of the better ones I’ve had in Canberra. The standard comes with aioli and bbq sauce on a cantina roll, but they also do regular weekly specials with various accompaniments and combinations, including the palpitation-inducing double egg/double bacon.

prescott prescott 7:29 pm 19 Aug 14

Seasalt Dining in Bruce. We are there every day someone in the team getting one. Double goey egg, lots of bacon, bbq sauce, perfect large turkish bun. $7.50. They will customise it however you want, some go with cheese, even hollandaise sauce! But throw in a hash brown and it’s heaven.

thatsnotme thatsnotme 7:08 pm 19 Aug 14

Madam Cholet said :

MERC600 MERC600 4:30 pm 19 Aug 14

Kalliste said :

The bacon and egg roll at This Cafe in Gungahlin is pretty good.. to the point that I get one nearly once a week on the weekend.

They’re a good size, mega amounts of bacon, 2 eggs (no runny yolk though thanks.. why would you voluntarily have egg yolk running down your wrists?), a couple of slices of cheese and bbq sauce. The roll is a parmesan roll that looks to be similar (if not the very thing) as the ones from Bakers Delight.

Mmm, so good.

2 eggs ! will check this out.

yellowsnow yellowsnow 2:48 pm 19 Aug 14

While not strictly Canberra, for those who like to spend weekends at the snow, the bacon n egg roll at Frostbite kiosk near the top of High Noon in Thredbo is to die for, and comes with the best view around. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Get there before 10.30 for a coffee/roll combo discount.

goody658 goody658 2:13 pm 19 Aug 14

The RUC at Barton is very good, Runny egg and soft buns they have a standard and a deluxe. Both are under 10

Madam Cholet Madam Cholet 1:45 pm 19 Aug 14

James McMahon James McMahon 1:33 pm 19 Aug 14

I second Good Brother they have a quirky fit out. And filled a niche in Dickson. The bacon & egg roll is great, 2 sizes small and large go the small its huge and yes add cheese!

Sez Sez 1:26 pm 19 Aug 14

Has to be Ona Coffe in Fyshwick. MASSIVE! with cheese and bbq sauce. $10 though. A good value for money option is at the little café at Curtin shops (not red brick espresso or the takeaway) for $5.

XO_VSOP XO_VSOP 1:24 pm 19 Aug 14

Good brother Dickson, eggs done with sweet tomato chutney, its a winner

Kalliste Kalliste 12:58 pm 19 Aug 14

Mmm, so good.

Joy Joy 12:52 pm 19 Aug 14

My teenaged son is on his own quest for the best bacon and egg roll. So far his top rated is Stand By Me Cafe in Lyons. Reckons the cafe at the National Museum is pretty good too. I’ll have to trust him, I’m allergic to eggs.

Kerryhemsley Kerryhemsley 12:46 pm 19 Aug 14

Not usually big on franchise food but Burger Edge in the Canberra Centre does a good one.

KTB KTB 12:34 pm 19 Aug 14

While I am a fan of the good old ‘hot off the barbie’ version at the netball on a Saturday morning, I must say the most satisfying B&E I have found to date is from Cream in Civic. Not for the purists, it includes tomato, lettuce, avocado, aioli and relish and is, quite frankly, delicious. And at $8 for a B&E and a coffee for their morning special it’s also a bargain (unlike most menu items at Cream!).

Mess Mess 12:15 pm 19 Aug 14

Heaps of good ones in the city, Central Burger District in Braddon is great, Pyschodeli is also very good (one of theirs will fill you up until dinnertime). Sugacube on Mort street used to do a good one too but haven’t had one from there for a while, and finally Blue Olive is also very good.

dungfungus dungfungus 12:04 pm 19 Aug 14

I don’t think there is such a thing (Best Bacon & Egg Roll) in Canberra.
I had one at the National Museum a couple of weekends ago and it was very ordinary (and expensive due to Sunday surcharge). I guess I should be grateful they were even open.
Without doubt, the best B&E roll available is from the Cooma Cafe (OK, it’s not Canberra).
The bacon is cooked quickly on a large plancha with a big egg on a huge lightly toasted and buttered bread bun.
Best served with fried onions and BBQ sauce.
There are still some takeaways in Canberra that refuse to cut the rind off the bacon which ruins the pleasure of eating due to the risk of choking.
I would be very happy to hear from other Rioters as to where to obtain a good takeaway B&E roll in Canberra that is under $10.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 11:41 am 19 Aug 14

First of all it’s an EGG and bacon roll.

Second of all, the perfect E’n’B roll has no place for cheese!

My vote goes for the local near where I work, the Snack Shack on Yallourn Street in Fyshwick. They have a ready supply of soft and fluffy white buns which is just as important as the runny egg and yummy bacon. I like mine topped off with some pepper and tomato sauce.

Region Group Pty Ltd