Best of Canberra

Canberra's experts selling valuables
150,000+ buyers nationally

The Best Butchers in Canberra

The quality of the meat ingredients you use can make all the difference. This is what determines the taste, ethical impact, and nutritional quality of the dishes you create, as well as the standard of living for local meat producers, and the security of the local environment. It’s no wonder so many Canberra residents are going the extra mile to ensure the meat they buy and eat is of the highest quality possible.

To help you on your journey to consuming meat in a more conscious manner, we’ve put together a list of the best local butchers in Canberra. We’ve consulted local feedback, and these butcher shops were the crème de la crème, time and time again. So let’s get started.

What makes a fantastic butcher?

Why make the switch to a local butcher? Here are just some of the incredible features that the best butcher shops in Canberra boast.

• A commitment to quality. If you want to access the best meat on the market, there truly is no substitute for a top-quality butcher shop. Step out of the supermarket and into your local specialist meat store for a range of meats and poultry that taste far superior to anything you’ll find at a national chain.
  • Support for local farmers. Local farmers need our support, and there’s no better way to do this than to shop with a butcher that stocks regional produce.
  • Hormone-free meats.Looking to avoid meat pumped full of artificial growth hormones and antibiotics? Great choice. Your local butcher should share your commitment.
  • Environmentally friendly production. When you shop local, you are drastically reducing the environmental impact of your meat consumption. This is particularly important in the modern world, as the food we eat has more of an environmental footprint than all transport and household energy combined.
  • Speciality products. Looking for a speciality product to cook to a particular recipe? Chances are, the best butchers in Canberra can help you get your hands on it.

The top butchers in Canberra according to you

RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.

To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.

Without further ado, here are your picks for the top three butchers in Canberra and its surrounds.

Lost River Meats

A family owned and run business, Lost River Meats delivers farm fresh chicken, lamb, pork, and beef direct from the producers to your plates. All animals are grass-fed and hormone and antibiotics-free.

Jordo’s Chop Shop

For meat that is free-range, grass-fed, and extremely convenient, check out Jordo’s Chop Shop, Canberra’s premier online butcher. All meat is sourced from the rolling pastures of Bergalia Farm and the fields surrounding the Breakout River abattoirs. Your meat is cut to order and comes with an unbeatable money-back guarantee.

ECO Meats Organic Butcher

Take your meat-eating a step further and experience the taste sensation of organic, free-range meats. Located in the Belconnen Markets, ECO Meats Organic Butcher specialises in unique, high-quality sausages including a wildly popular grain-free paleo sausage.

Who did you pick?

Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst Canberra Butchers.

If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.

Where do you buy your meat and poultry in Canberra and surrounds? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments section below.

33 Responses to The Best Butchers in Canberra
chappo 10:59 am 18 Nov 14

Basically there's three that I like:

Griffith Butcher in Griffith

Lindbeck Butcher in Queanbeyan

Jordo's Chop Shop in Wanniassa (or online)

The first two are very good quality but a little bit expensive and Jordo's is great value for decent quality meat.

XO_VSOP 11:38 am 18 Nov 14

Lyneham best sausages, go pork fennel its a winner, and really good eye fillet cuts.

James McMahon 11:39 am 18 Nov 14

Jordo's Chop Shop online great service really nice guys

pajs 11:41 am 18 Nov 14

Lost River in Dickson is good. Reliable source for decent skirt steak, among other things. EcoMeats at the Belco Markets for organic and free range (or Griffith butcher if southside and looking for similar). Gino at EcoMeats will do custom cuts is asked nicely (double rib pork chop taken to a single bone, butterflied poultry and lamb for flat grilling, double thickness tbone or rib eye on the bone, bunnies broken down to mince with 30% pork belly for rabbit burgers, etc).

Recent butcher shop discovery (top notch little shop, lots of care & pride, plus good service) is the butcher at the Florey shops.

If you get to the Farmers Markets at EPIC, Boxgum Grazing is top notch for pastured pork. Good beef too.

Bunston 12:06 pm 18 Nov 14

+1 Jordo's Chop Shop

Antagonist 12:34 pm 18 Nov 14

Bruce the Butcher, Tuggeranong Hyperdome. Same cuts as most other butchers, but MUCH better quality. And their Christmas Hams are awesome!

pink little birdie 12:49 pm 18 Nov 14

Cameron at Meatways Kambah.

Reprobate 3:07 pm 18 Nov 14

Jordos Chop Shop, hands down.

Antagonist 6:03 pm 18 Nov 14

[quote comment="537749"]I make a lot of my own sausages but have trouble finding backfat. Anyone know where I can get some?[/quote]

I keep having visions of bogan chicks in leggings at the Tuggeranong Hyperdome food court ...

ps0104 7:27 pm 18 Nov 14

Bonza Bangers at Hawker....is amazing.

rosscoact 8:08 pm 18 Nov 14

[quote comment="537749"]

It's a challenge to find good hard fat these days with such lean commercial pigs.

I overcome it by buying whole saddles, making streaky bacon, ribs, braciole and using the loins for schnittys. Leaves the back fat for sausages and backbone for chinese soup and Xiao Long Bao. It's pretty efficient financially.

Raging Tempest 9:10 pm 18 Nov 14

Wayne's in Woden has great lamb.

Deborah 9:37 pm 18 Nov 14

Most definitely Meatways at the Kambah Village. Cameron has won several awards for his snags - I think he's been crowned the National Sausage King a couple of times. Meat is really high quality and the ham is deeeeelicious!

MandyK 10:22 pm 18 Nov 14

I'm a big fan of Garran-teed Meats at Garran. Darryl smokes his own bacon and ham, the pork Cumberland sausages are delicious - every cut of meat I've purchased there keeps well and has a fantastic flavour

M0les 10:33 pm 18 Nov 14

- Cameron's Meatways in Kambah

- Whatever that one up the back of the Dickson shops is (with the "miracle bacon")

- I hear Lindbeck is good, but I've never been

- Probably others, but I'm based in the Woden/Tugg/Weston region, so don't try much further.

Kalliste 9:51 am 19 Nov 14

I used to like Lost River in Dickson when I lived in the area.. you can also order online and get it delivered, with COD, if you need that.

When I last went there they'd just upgraded the store to include a bit of fruit too and I found the variety of the meat did decrease a little but they are always happy to do things for you if you ask.

Alexandra Craig 10:20 am 19 Nov 14

pink little birdie 10:43 am 19 Nov 14

[quote comment="537869"]I haven't visited a butcher for about 6 years since I went with my mum when I lived at home. Do any of these butchers have smoked chicken? There used to be this stuff that was kind of like chicken loaf and they'd slice/shave it for you, but it was smoked and it was amazing.[/quote]

Cameron at meatways. He's an ex-chef and smakes his own chicken, salmon, bacon, ham etc.

It's pretty much our xmas lunch. Cameron's ham, Samon, and some sort of seasoned polutry along with all the seafood (got from not a butcher)

Madam Cholet 11:11 am 19 Nov 14

My vote would go to Griffith Butchers if I still went there. Used to go religiously despite the cost. Got to know Richard reasonably well (as a butcher, not a friend), but stopped going as it was out of the way a bit and the vibe seemed to change a bit, don't know why. The good thing about Griffith Butchery is that he buys the bulk of his produce from one farmer only in Cootamundra. I met the farmer once. The lamb is exceptional. I also like the fact taht he didn't always have exactly what you wanted - he was not supplying just anything to make a sale.

We now go to the organic place at Fyshwick markets. I wouldn't recommend it over anything else - it's just convenient, but is good quality.

I have to say that I find myself more and more frequently being put off by the amount of meat displayed in any butchers....I know it's a butchers and meat in the window is going to be the expectation, but most butchers windows are absolutely packed. There's probably way to much choice.

I find that buying meat from a place that is more expensive than other butchers makes you think a bit about how you spend your money and how much meat you buy. It has prompted us to have vego meals a few times a week as well as the usual fish or seafood.

Nicole71 12:05 pm 19 Nov 14

My vote goes to The Butcher Shop at Dickson and near Woollies in Gungahlin. Not only awesome meat (especially their sausages), but they are very generous in giving back to the community by supporting local junior sporting clubs.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.