The quality of the meat ingredients you use can make all the difference. This is what determines the taste, ethical impact, and nutritional quality of the dishes you create, as well as the standard of living for local meat producers, and the security of the local environment. It’s no wonder so many Canberra residents are going the extra mile to ensure the meat they buy and eat is of the highest quality possible.
To help you on your journey to consuming meat in a more conscious manner, we’ve put together a list of the best local butchers in Canberra. We’ve consulted local feedback, and these butcher shops were the crème de la crème, time and time again. So let’s get started.
What makes a fantastic butcher?
Why make the switch to a local butcher? Here are just some of the incredible features that the best butcher shops in Canberra boast.
- A commitment to quality. If you want to access the best meat on the market, there truly is no substitute for a top-quality butcher shop. Step out of the supermarket and into your local specialist meat store for a range of meats and poultry that taste far superior to anything you’ll find at a national chain.
- Support for local farmers. Local farmers need our support, and there’s no better way to do this than to shop with a butcher that stocks regional produce.
- Hormone-free meats.Looking to avoid meat pumped full of artificial growth hormones and antibiotics? Great choice. Your local butcher should share your commitment.
- Environmentally friendly production. When you shop local, you are drastically reducing the environmental impact of your meat consumption. This is particularly important in the modern world, as the food we eat has more of an environmental footprint than all transport and household energy combined.
- Speciality products. Looking for a speciality product to cook to a particular recipe? Chances are, the best butchers in Canberra can help you get your hands on it.
The top butchers in Canberra according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Without further ado, here are your picks for the top three butchers in Canberra and its surrounds.
A family owned and run business, Lost River Meats delivers farm fresh chicken, lamb, pork, and beef direct from the producers to your plates. All animals are grass-fed and hormone and antibiotics-free.
For meat that is free-range, grass-fed, and extremely convenient, check out Jordo’s Chop Shop, Canberra’s premier online butcher. All meat is sourced from the rolling pastures of Bergalia Farm and the fields surrounding the Breakout River abattoirs. Your meat is cut to order and comes with an unbeatable money-back guarantee.
Take your meat-eating a step further and experience the taste sensation of organic, free-range meats. Located in the Belconnen Markets, ECO Meats Organic Butcher specialises in unique, high-quality sausages including a wildly popular grain-free paleo sausage.
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst Canberra Butchers.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Where do you buy your meat and poultry in Canberra and surrounds? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments section below.