Best of Canberra – Curry

Canfan 5 August 2014 24
lamb-jalfrezi-stock

One of the things I miss most about London is a curry and a Kingfisher after an evening session in the pub. Actually, the curry and beer after a night of beer maybe wasn’t the best thing in the world, but the local curry houses were awesome. I am yet to find a good curry around town to compete with anything we found over there (which was admittedly probably not particularly authentic when it comes to real South Asian cooking). So, for this week’s Best of Canberra – Best Curry.

Where to go and what to order.

24 Responses to Best of Canberra – Curry
JimCharles JimCharles 8:37 am 06 Aug 14

farnarkler said :

Kingfisher, in London? I’m surprised. Cobra was all the rage when I was there. Curries here just don’t measure up to a Tooting Broadway curry (Brick Lane is all mouth and no trousers).

They brew it in Kent these days, under license.
They do a god awful 8% version as well, just too strong. I think that’s aimed at the Indian market though, the rest of the beers are cutting alcohol levels.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 8:34 am 06 Aug 14

Vale Sahlimar, which used to be on Marcus Clarke Street.

charmer88 charmer88 8:22 am 06 Aug 14

Digress in the city next to Transit…. Amazing, and you really can’t beat a $10 curry during the week..

bebo83 bebo83 11:58 pm 05 Aug 14

Indian Affair in Phillip & the City. Great family service & being vegetarian best variety and great tasting food. My favourite being the potato in spinach and eggplant curry.

Tizmelou Tizmelou 11:28 pm 05 Aug 14

We have enjoyed many a wonderful meal at Ramas in Pearce since moving to Canberra in the early 1990s. One of our favourites is the lamb kofta.
Chalisa in Tuggeranong is pretty good too – they have a good goat curry on the menu.

house_husband house_husband 7:36 pm 05 Aug 14

Ruchis in Belconnen was a favourite of ours before kids. Although anything extra hot at Ramas was always sensational.

farnarkler farnarkler 6:05 pm 05 Aug 14

Deborah Deborah 6:01 pm 05 Aug 14

Another Ramas regular here for over 20 years. Best dahl I’ve ever eaten.

bronal bronal 5:49 pm 05 Aug 14

I normally go the Masala Hut opposite Cooleman Court in Weston. A good range of dishes, including goat, and tawa gosht, which is served on a sizzling platter and is very unusual for an Indian restaurant.

Phend Phend 5:33 pm 05 Aug 14

Another vote for the Flavours of India Beef Vindaloo.

Punjabi Hut in QBN is excellent. Bollywood Masala in Dickson goes well too.

danstrangehours danstrangehours 5:05 pm 05 Aug 14

Iron Bar? does Thursday Curry Special. $15 Schooner of Beer or wine & Curry. Made from scratch and served with Rice, Roti and Yogurt. Come and try one. Would love to know what everyone thinks. http://www.iron-bar.com.au/menu.html

astrojax astrojax 5:00 pm 05 Aug 14

i second rama’s at pearce.

jehangir at swinger hill is [or was? haven’t been for a while; can anyone confirm it’s still there and good?] great – opened by the chef who had cooked for the former indian pm prior to his coming to australia.

there were places in belconnen, up the back out of the way, ruchi’s and something else, next door to one another. are they still there? [kids! no life for too long…]

timmci timmci 4:45 pm 05 Aug 14

Digress/Indian Affair in the City does a damn good Tuesday deal – $10 curry and theres also trivia!

watto23 watto23 3:43 pm 05 Aug 14

I’ll vote for Burmese Curry house too. Plenty of Indian places but they all server similar things with some variety, whereas the Burmese curry house is different and tasty all the time.

neanderthalsis neanderthalsis 1:40 pm 05 Aug 14

I just wish I could find a good dosa masala here in Canberra.

Mess Mess 11:17 am 05 Aug 14

Burmese Curry place in the bus interchange has a cult following and for good reason too.

Delhi 6 on Childers street is also good.

Josh Mulrine Josh Mulrine 10:58 am 05 Aug 14

Indian Affair’s butter chicken is by far the best butter chicken in town. I also rate the Chicken Tika at Punjabi Hut in Manuka.

XO_VSOP XO_VSOP 10:51 am 05 Aug 14

I used to love going to Rama’s Pearce shops. Family had a tradition that after school footy practice we would go for dinner there. I always had the Chicken bombay curry and it never failed me.

mountainman mountainman 10:47 am 05 Aug 14

Flavours of India Beef Vindaloo extra spicy all the sides Garlic Nann!

James McMahon James McMahon 10:45 am 05 Aug 14

It used to be the Malaysian curry at Portias place and side of spicy quail. However since Portia sold I now favor this dish at Portias new place wok and roll in Fyswick – worth the extra mile!

Region Group Pty Ltd