There is nothing quite like horse riding – the fresh air, the glorious sunlight, the open landscape, and the calming presence of the horse.
Whether you are an experienced rider or a total beginner, you may be looking for somewhere near Canberra to saddle up and go horse riding. Lucky for you, there are a number of fantastic options.
In this article, we’ll share our two favourites. These destinations are incredibly scenic and home to some truly beautiful, gentle horses. What’s more, they are all within driving distance of the city.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
What makes a great horse-riding destination?
Not sure what you are looking for when scouting out the best horse-riding destinations in Canberra? We’ve got you covered. Here are the traits we suggest keeping an eye out for:
- A scenic location.One of the best things about saddling up and going for a horse ride is experiencing the spectacular great outdoors. The best horse riding stables are situated in a scenic location just outside of Canberra.
- All levels welcome.Riding a horse is one of those experiences that everyone deserved to have at some point – whether they grew up with horses or have never stepped foot in a stable.
- Gentle horses.Horses can be dangerous; there’s no denying it. The best horse riding destinations are home to gentle horses with lots of experience catering to beginner riders.
- Experienced staff.The staff at the stable should be experienced in helping riders of all levels have the best time possible.
- Well priced.No one likes to be ripped off. The best places to go horse riding are priced fairly.
The top places to go horse riding in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
We’ve had the pleasure of trying out both of the following riding destinations in Canberra – and they were fantastic! Here are our favourite places to go horse riding in the region.
Situated just 20km from Canberra’s CBD, Gooromon Park Riding Centre is a family owned and operated business that has delivered top quality horse riding activities and lessons since 2000.
The staff at Gooromon Park Riding Centre are experienced and passionate and are more than happy to help riders of all levels make the most of their time in the saddle. As Canberra’s only accredited Australian Horse Riding Centre (AHRC) offering, you know you are riding with some of the best instructors in the industry.
Gooromon Park Riding Centre is home to a range of healthy, loved, and well-mannered horses, varying from 12hh to 16.2hh – there’s a horse suitable for all body types.
Run by Grant and Heather Hughes, Forest Park Riding and Equitation School is a favourite among Canberra’s equestrian community. Offering a welcoming, nurturing environment, beginners and seasoned riders alike will enjoy the spectacular scenery and expertly cared-for horses.
Offering both horse-riding lessons (available for all ages) and scenic trail rides, Forest Park Riding and Equitation School is the perfect place to tick horse riding off your bucket list or learn a skill for life.
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commentators who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst Canberra Best Places to go Horse Riding.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Please comment below detailing your experience with Canberra based Best Places to go Horse Riding ? Who would you recommend? Who would you use again? Who would you steer clear of?