In the competitive world of business, effective marketing is critical. Whether you are a micro start-up or a fully fledged multinational, how you are seen matters. Putting one’s reputation and the sentiment of others aside, this initial perception rests on three simple things. A little word wizardry, visuals, and the feeling that transpires from stringing the two together.
From product packaging through to promotional pictures, this image is carefully curated to secure a competitive edge. The ultimate aim of brand imagery is to cultivate a loyal consumer base that sees themselves at one with your brand. And, while there are many ways to source this imagery, the favourite by far is photography.
Artfully constructed photographs have the uncanny ability to connect to the soul. They effortlessly depict light, shade, colour, texture, movement, and emotion – all at the same time. Indeed, it is easy to see why photographs are the tool of choice the globe over. Now, if you are planning photography shoot and are looking for a studio then fear not! We have curated a small selection of the best in Canberra.
What makes a great hireable photography studio?
The best photography studios offer simple, modern spaces designed with the professional creative in mind. If you’re on the hunt for a stylish space for your next shoot, be sure to consider the following:
- Amenities. Professional grade amenities are a key determinant for hired spaces are desired in the first place. These creative environments have been thoughtfully designed with the needs of clients in mind. The basics like lighting, ample power sockets, and control over the ambient temperature should all be a given. The best photography studios add amenities like waiting rooms, change rooms, private restrooms, kitchens, breakout facilities and more. Finally think about how a space responds to noise and interruptions – a quiet, private space helps to streamline focus. These extra facilities do go a long way to making each shoot picture perfect.
- Spatial suitability. Another key consideration is space. Be sure to reflect on the needs of your shoot and how a given studio fits the bill. The size of equipment, distance between lenses and subjects, areas for preparation and onsite production are all important. That said, the best photography studios are all about how a space is used. Leading studios set themselves apart by offering flexibility; with clever configurations affording multiple settings within a given space. Be it high ceilings, lofts, or moveable walls, these environments suit the needs of clients both large and small.
- Illumination. Without light, a photographic print is nothing but an unexposed frame. As one of the most critical success factors to any image, all great studios offer complete lighting solutions. Here, clients have full control over the luminosity within their hired space. From dark and moody through to bright and vibrant variation is key. Achieved via natural sources, integrated artificial lights, or countless sockets to bring your own, they have it covered.
- Accessibility. While accessibility doesn’t directly impact the efficacy of photographs taken, it does influence the ease of the shoot. And, when shooting on a limited schedule, being easy to find – and get to – is key. Not only does this help with participants arriving on time; it also allows for seamless transport of equipment. Consider accessibility via both private and public transport, along with ample parking and loading space. If you have sizable items, consider spaces with easy access via a roller door or large lift.
- Equipment. Any shoot, no matter the size, will require the application of photographic and staging equipment. While many photographers come equipped with their own gear, there is still much more to consider. From rigs and props through to lights and ladders, organising the lot requires some orchestration. Here leading studios really shine, providing options for equipment hire and more. Some studios may even offer the services of an assistant, which can help with navigating any supplied equipment.
The best photography studios for hire in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
When it comes to photographic space for hire in Canberra, FT Studios is certainly one of a kind. Founded by the creative powerhouse, Future Theory, it was designed out of pure necessity. Seeking a large format light-controlled space that removed creative limitations, FT Studios was born.
Primarily designed with the needs of the photographer in mind, FT Studios is also a wonderful option for other creative mediums. Conveniently located in Beard, a 15-minute drive from the city and a 5-minute drive from Queanbeyan, it offers 126 square metres of floor space and staggering 6.5-metre-high ceilings. The blacked-out studio features two stand-out textured concrete walls, and a huge 3.5-metre-wide roller door to allow for a flood of natural light.
Facilities include a lounge and waiting area; bathroom with shower; and kitchenette with fridge, microwave, and dishwasher. A range of equipment, backdrops, lighting, and props are also available.
Available for hire for a minimum of 2 hours, FT Studios can also be booked for a half day, full day or more across weekdays, weekends, after hours, and public holidays. If you’re looking for a studio with all the space needed to create, then look no further than FT Studios.
Chris Walsh shared this glowing review on Google, “FT Studio is a great space — large and unique, with exposed concrete walls and decent natural light. The staff were friendly, helpful, and accommodating.”
Completed in 2021, Darling Street Studios are a 75m squared modular creative space designed for music recording, production, videos, digital content, and photography. As a boutique workspace with loads of character they have been favoured by artists, creative organisations, musicians, and photographers.
Conveniently located in Mitchell, Darling Street Studios are a short 200m walk to the light rail and are internally connected to Bean Addiction café situated right next door. For a fun creative space for your next shoot look to Darling Street Studios.
Daniel Abroguena shared this review on Google, “Very accommodating and made sure we had everything we needed for our project. The vibe is awesome with a great sound system pumping the beats as you're working on your photos. Fully equipped with some of the latest lighting equipment is definitely a big plus!”
Nestled in Braddon, Lonsdale St Studio is a purpose-built content creation space. Featuring three dedicated studio spaces available for hire, equipped with all the lighting, sound-proofing and professional grade video and audio production kits needed.
Allowing for multiple space configurations, adjustable lighting, and backdrops, plus amenities and creature comforts Lonsdale St Studio is a great choice. Additional facilities include a greenroom, spaces for live meetings or webinars, audio creation and more.
John Cuthbertson had this to say on Google, “Lonsdale ST studio was the perfect space. Good for video, and photography. We used it with their producers and also just with our own camera. Highly recommend the studio for location, equipment and easy set up.”
As one of the regions few full-sized studios dedicated to the production needs of videography and photography projects, DCS Backlot Studio offers large scale hireable space. Well suited to commercial clients, they boast everything from a two-storey green room, stage space, post- production facilities and more.
Their photographic studio can accommodate any crew size with plenty of shooting options to choose from. With equipment and staff at the ready, free off-street parking, stocked refreshments, and optional catering, they are one of the region’s best.
As Ben Izzard shared on Google, “We had a wonderful time shooting at DCS! Josh and team were absolutely amazing and had the space ready to go as we arrived. Not to mention their hospitality in catering refreshments for us throughout the day. I would highly recommend Josh and DCS if you were looking for a space to shoot your next project.”
Situated at Diary Road, Keep Co presents a photography studio well suited for fashion, product shoots, portraits and more. Boasting a large 6x6m blank canvas with 3m heigh ceilings, Keep Co’s photography studio is a great hireable space.
With loads of natural light, the studio comfortably accommodates between 10-14 guests and includes 3m wide backdrops, furniture, and kitchen facilities. Available for hire on an hourly, half day or full day basis, they are a great option for those seeking a studio plus more.
As Kari Pahlman states on Google, “An amazing space and a wonderful community of people doing a wide array of awesome things. No shortage of creativity and inspiration to draw on in this place.”
Need a photographer or videographer? Our articles on the best photographers and videographers may help. And, to execute your images check out the best printers, best digital signage companies, best sticker and decal companies, best pull-up banner and flag companies and best A-frame signs. Finally, for other creative services check out our articles on the best graphic designers, the best website designers, and the best marketing agencies in Canberra.
Your experience with photography studios for hire in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the photography studios listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why might I need a photographic studio?
Perhaps the biggest driver for studio hire is the desire to have complete control over the photographic environment. From lighting, sound, privacy, and props, everything can be purposefully matched to suit the needs of a shoot.
How much does it cost to hire a photographic studio in Canberra?
Costs for studio hire vary, often linked to the size of a space and its features. Pricing can range from $50 per hour to upwards of $250 per hour for a high-end commercial scale space. Some studios may also be available on a half-day (4 hours) or full day (8 hours) basis, with pricing typically ranging from $300 to $700 or more per session. For an accurate quote on a suitable hire space contact your local studio.
How much studio space do I need?
Well, that all depends on the nature of your shoot. Factors to consider include number of subjects, style of shot, camera position, props and staging, and equipment. Most standard shoots such as head shots and full body portraits, will require a studio space of at least 20 square metres. Larger group shots or those with bigger props and staging will most likely need a minimum of 100 square metres.
What equipment can be rented alongside a photographic space?
Most photographic studios will include a range of equipment available alongside, or in addition to hire costs. This can range from things like backdrops, props, and accessories, all the way through to styling equipment, lighting, camera gear, and more. For more information contact your local studio.
Do photographic studios also provide furniture?
Most studios tend to focus more on the space and facilities themselves, rather than furniture. That said, many will include a few items such as chairs or tables for use in dedicated areas within the space. Your best bet is to determine what is available by contacting the studio, then sourcing elsewhere to bring on the day.