Remedial massage is a complementary therapy that aims to treat muscles, tendons, ligaments and fascia (connective tissue). Remedial techniques can address aches, pain, muscle tightness, reduced movement and injury. The benefits from remedial massage include: increased circulation, decreased pain, improved movement, increased immunity, recovery from injury, enhanced relaxation and reduced stress.
Choosing a quality remedial massage clinic can help you get on the road to recovery quick sharp.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a remedial massage clinic, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a quality remedial massage clinic?
Finding the right remedial massage clinic can take the stress out of what can already be an emotional and physically draining experience.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a remedial massage clinic.
- Holistic approach. Remedial massage therapists will take a holistic approach to your treatment. They will take into consideration your medical history, any previous illness or injury, your stress levels and lifestyle. They will discuss your treatment goals and create a treatment plan that addresses your concerns. The key to a good healthcare relationship is one that focuses on the long-term health and well-being of the client.
- Analytical. Remedial therapists take an analytical approach to their work. Once they have an understanding of your health history and needs, they may conduct testing of body movements (for example, range of motion tests) or special tests to rule out any serious health concerns. Once this information is collected they will then design a treatment to target specific body areas. After the treatment they may retest the areas they have worked to check for an improvement. Finally they may give you homework (for example, stretches) to continue your self care between appointments.
- Expertise. You need to know that your remedial therapist is qualified and has appropriate experience to help you with your health issue. Most business websites will outline the qualifications and experience of their team. For someone to be a remedial massage therapist in Australia they need to hold a Diploma of Remedial Massage.
- Compassionate. You are seeking a remedial massage therapist for a reason – whether that be to de-stress or heal an injury. The best in the business are compassionate and understanding. They are willing to take the time to have a meaningful discussion with you. Knowing that you are being heard, and that the therapist is actively listening are important for you to be able to relax and trust in their expertise.
- Effective. There is no point visiting a remedial massage clinic if your massages are ineffective in achieving your desired aims. An experienced remedial therapist will be able to refer you to other health professionals if the remedial treatments are not benefiting you.
- Accredited. Massage therapy is an investment in your health and wellness. One of the best ways to know that your therapist is accredited is to check and see which Professional Massage Association they belong with. It is through their membership that they then receive their health fund provider numbers. Checking that your massage therapist is a member of an association and that they have health find recognition are two of the best ways to ensure they are accredited.
The best remedial massage clinics in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
The at the Capital Health Centre of Traditional Chinese Medicine all have formal qualifications, are experts in their fields and have years of experience in helping clients feel better with remedial massage, acupuncture and other holistic services. Located in Canberra city, Belconnen and Woden, the centre was founded by Dr Qiong Xu and Dr Harvey Wang.
Remedial massage, also known as Tuina, is a type of Chinese therapeutic massage and an important component of traditional Chinese medicine. It includes various handwork massage techniques that complement the client’s mindfulness. Breathing techniques, heat and vibration can all be used depending on client needs. Remedial massage can also enhance acupuncture therapy to achieve the Yin Yang balance.
The team at Capital Health Centre of Traditional Chinese Medicine believe that Tuina is a therapeutic extension of Western massage. It’s effective, natural and increasingly popular for most mental, physical and emotional illnesses.
Capital Health Centre of Traditional Chinese Medicine also provide specialist acupuncture services as well as cupping, scrubbing, moxibustion, Chinese massage and herbal medicine.
Ralitsa Dimitrova wrote on Google, “Fantastic professionalism, competent and caring doctors, friendly staff, clean practice. As a patient with more than 5 years’ experience with them, I would highly recommend the clinic to everyone looking for traditional Chinese medicine services.”
Pivotal Therapies, in Canberra City, is a specialist clinic focusing on sport, remedial and postural injuries. The clinic’s goal is to help clients alleviate aches, discomforts, and pains, as well as improve performance.
Jonathon Schwartz wrote on Google, “I had a massage to help with a shoulder injury from rock climbing and neck stiffness. Phil was very knowledgeable, professional and provided an excellent and effective treatment. I’ll definitely be going back .”
Capital Peak Performance (CPP) is Canberra’s specialists in sports and remedial massage therapy. The clinic offers deep tissue, pregnancy, relaxation, lymphatic drainage, trigger point and injury rehabilitation massages. At CPP, you can expect health fund rebates (where applicable) and a team that is professional, friendly and highly knowledgeable.
Caren Hugginson wrote on Google, “Would highly recommend Wayne at Capital Peak Performance. Very knowledgeable and caring towards the needs of clients.”
ACT Remedial Therapy Massage is all about keeping bodies at their best. Professionally qualified therapists help clients overcome discomfort, injury, and agitation using a personalised approach. Services include deep muscular therapy, sports/remedial therapy, trigger point therapy, therapeutic relaxation massage, reflexology and more. Health fund rebates are available where applicable. The clinic also has Canberra’s only Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber which is used as an adjunctive treatment for many chronic illnesses and can enhance the body’s natural recovery process.
ACT Remedial Therapy Massage in Forrest is one of Canberra’s longest established massage practices with more than 26 years experience. Their therapists are in high demand so book in early to secure your spot.
On Google, Kylie Ferrari wrote, “If there were more stars, they’d get them. Best massage I have had in years.”
Therapy Masters with over 23 years of Massage Industry experience, focus on providing tailored treatments that best meet the individual health needs of their clients. The team specialise in Remedial, Sports and Relaxation massage, as well as Reiki and Sports Taping. The clinic is now located in Queanbeyan.
On Google, A Solos wrote, “I have been to this clinic many times and love the variety of modalities, friendly accredited therapists, city location, the loyalty program and the yummy chocolates! It’s a very professional yet relaxed environment …”
Your experience with remedial massage clinics in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience in the comments in any of the remedial massage clinics listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.