Since their inception in the early 1960s, glass shower screens have grown to become an essential component of any bathroom. Unlike their predecessors, the first glass screens offered many new benefits. Not only were they easier to clean and incredibly functional, but they also looked rather striking.
Nowadays, glass shower screens are found in practically every new home. From floor-to-ceiling grandeur through to small-space solutions, there is a glass screen to suit every space. If you are considering remodelling, building anew, or simply seeking a replacement, choices are limited only by the imagination.
With so many options available on the market, often the trouble is knowing where to start. Factors to consider include glass size and type, framed or rimless, and the best way to affix and install. Often, the best way to ensure a quality outcome is by employing the services of an experienced installer.
As specialised tradespeople, the best glaziers know a thing or two about glass. With access to quality products and a wealth of practical skills, they can transform your shower space with ease.
What makes a great shower screen installer?
Great shower screen installers are master glaziers, adding the finishing flourish to our beloved bathroom sanctuaries. We think the best of the bunch all possess a few things in common:
- All the right credentials. As glaziers within the ACT are not required to hold a trade licence, evaluating their credentials is particularly important. To ensure full confidence that your screen has been properly installed, look for a fully qualified and certified glazier. To assess candidates, look for evidence of a Certificate III in Glass and Glazing qualification along with all relevant insurances. Moreover, a certification or master glazier accreditation from the Australian Glass and Window Association indicates added expertise. Finally, ensure your glazier works under the supervision of a licensed builder if not a holder of a builder’s qualification themselves.
- Experience and expertise. The best shower screen installers have a wealth of experience and expertise. They have been operational for several years and have dealt with all manner of shower screen installations. While installation of framed screens may be the stock standard, frameless, curved, and custom screens require added finesse. Therefore, consider the nature of your bathroom project and match it with an installer with expertise in that specific area.
- Clear quotes. Great shower screen installers offer the utmost transparency, from free quotes through to completed contracts. Ensure your tradesperson provides itemised quotes, complete with a breakdown of products and labour. In addition, timelines for installation, payment terms, and any exclusions should all be provided in writing.
- Quality installation. Any bathroom enhancement must always be treated with care. From waterproofing through to tiles, electrical and plumbing, a lot goes on within a confined space. When it comes to selecting a shower screen installer, prioritise end-to-end quality. Expertly measured and fitted shower screens not only look great, but they are also safe and secure and operate seamlessly. Assess an installer’s previous projects to scrutinise their level of finish, and ensure all products adhere to Australian standards.
- Warranties and after-completion service. Great shower screen installers support warranties offered by manufacturers and guarantee the quality of installation. The best of the bunch take this a step further by providing after-sales service and support. They are happy to attend to troubleshoot problems and iron out any issues. Subsequently, be sure to review warranty terms and conditions, including how and where to make a claim should the need arise.
The best shower screen installers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintained a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Established over twenty-five years ago in 1994, Canberra icon, Monaro Screens, have built an enviable reputation amongst customers and industry insiders alike. This family owned and operated gem was a labour of love for dynamic duo, Dave and Deirdre Byatt, who remain at the helm today.
Positioned as one of the regions leading shower screen providers they have installed over 75,000 shower screens across equally as many Canberra homes and businesses. Monaro Screens specialised services focus on the design, manufacture, and installation of made-to-measure shower and bath screens.
These services extend to encompass mirrors, splash backs, wardrobe doors, and retractable screens to suit any and every style. Moreover, Monaro Screens rounds out their offering as an authorised and licensed Crimsafe supplier.
When it comes to shower screens, the team offer an array of made-to-measure options suited for all purposes and environments. From classic framed screens to their ever-popular frameless contemporaries, and a host of fixtures and fittings, Monaro Screens have a solution to suit your space.
What really sets Monaro Screens apart is their steadfast focus on quality client outcomes. From sourcing unique and exclusive shower screen systems, to prioritising locally sourced materials, and adhering to Australian and New Zealand standards, this ethos holds true across all aspects of their business.
Centrally located in Fyshwick, the hub of Canberra’s industrial heart, stands Monaro Screen’s fit for purpose showroom and manufacturing facility. Open Monday to Saturday it is the perfect way to explore their extensive range of shower screen solutions. For tastefully designed, functional, and seamlessly operating shower screens that stand the test of time look no further than Monaro Screens.
Eddie H shared this glowing review on Google, “We have recently ordered and have installed a shower screen for our granny flat bathroom with Monaro Screens. Great service and product range in their showroom in Fyshwick. All went very smooth form choosing and ordering to measuring and installation. All steps on the way on time, as arranged. High quality product, we are very happy with the purchase and highly recommend this business to everyone….”
Glass and glazing specialists, Value Glass, come highly reviewed and recommended by past clients. Their team of certified, licensed, and insured glaziers offer emergency replacements and new installations alike.
Value Glass are committed to providing the best quality products at competitive prices and strive to meet customer expectations every time. When it comes to showers, they offer frameless, semi-frameless, and fully framed services.
Damien Holowczak had this to say on Google, “The team were excellent. Their level of customer service exceeded my expectations, and they were very friendly to work with. My semi frame-less shower screens look awesome. Will recommend and use again in the future.”
With over fifty years in business, EW Glass provide superior glass and glazing services to the Canberra region. As a family-owned business, they employ experienced and fully qualified staff specialising in a range of traditional, heritage, and handcrafted glazing techniques.
EW Glass are proud suppliers and installers of custom shower screen solutions. With obligation free quotes, onsite replacement services, and made to measure products, they also support manufacturer and installation warranties.
Obie Hickey had this to say on Google, “Super speedy turnaround from measure, to quote received, then they were able to install two days later. Their service was phenomenal, very reasonably priced and very clean during install. I would recommend EW Glass for any glazing needs.”
With over thirty years in the industry, Discount Glass have earnt a glowing reputation for their glazing services. Their team of qualified glaziers apply years of knowledge and experience to offer the best solution, be it planned or emergency, residential or commercial.
Amongst their many services is safety laminated, toughened, and tempered glass. Discount Glass also boast swift repairs, perfect for shower screen emergencies. For shower screen glass cut to size look to Discount Glass.
As Patrick Pentony shared on Google, “The team came when they said they would, did what was required, cleaned up after themselves and charged exactly what was quoted. Fantastic service, will use them again if/when needed.”
Canberra Glass Solutions is a family owned and locally operated glazing business. Providing a range of glazing solutions from semi frameless and frameless shower screens through to balustrades, mirrors, and splashbacks they are a great choice.
The team at Canberra Glass solutions pride themselves on impeccable communication along with timely, reliable, and efficient services. For an obligation free quote on your next shower screen contact Canberra Glass Solutions.
Rob Ware shared this review on Google, “We used Canberra Glass solutions for the second time now and have had another excellent experience. Their attention to detail is amazing and have provided us with exactly what we wanted, exceeding our expectations. Great value!”
For further glass service providers, see our article on the best glaziers in Canberra. If you are considering further bathroom enhancements, perhaps our article on the best bathroom renovation companies, the best tilers, or the best plumbers may also be of interest.
Your experience with shower screen installers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the shower screen installers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What size shower screen do I need?
The ideal shower screen size ultimately depends on the size of your bathroom and available space. Most screens come in a range of standard sizes, from 66-140cm wide and 100-210cm high. Custom options are also available for those requiring a bespoke fit. For sizing advice for your shower screen, contact your local installer.
What are some common shower screen options?
A multitude of off-the-shelf and custom shower screen options is available to consumers. Popular options include framed, semi-framed, or frameless. Access into a shower space can be void of a door altogether or via a single, sliding, bifold or pivot door. The glass itself can be clear, tinted, etched or even textured.
Can any glass be used for a shower screen installation?
Within Australia, all shower screen installations must be completed using safety glass, a toughened and tempered material. The Building Code of Australia stipulates two standards for shower screen doors: AS 1288:1994 glass buildings selection and installation, and AS/NZ 2208:1996 safety glazing materials in buildings. Additional requirements may apply, so if in doubt, contact your local shower screen installer.
Is it worth hiring a professional to install my shower screen?
While some screen installations may appear straightforward, there are some things to keep in mind. Not only is the bathroom a tricky wet area to work with, so too is the handling of large glass panels, and producing a quality installation outcome. For these reasons it is often best to hire a professional, even it increases the overall cost.
What much does a new shower screen cost?
A new shower screen price can start from as little as $200 for an off-the-shelf product, rising to more than $1000 for a custom-made solution. This cost will naturally depend on a range of factors, such as the type of screen selected, material compositing, size, and nature of fitting. Moreover, consider extra costs such as installation or removal charges, which typically range from $45 to $65-plus an hour.