Whether you’re a small business owner, a marketing executive for a national brand or a salesperson converting prospective buyers into loyal customers, it’s difficult to overestimate the importance of a professional and well-designed website.
A polished, purpose-built website should be more than just a nice piece of design. It should be responsive so that it looks great on mobile devices, tablets and PCs. It should include target keywords relevant to your location and industry so people can discover your business via search. And it should make it as easy as possible for visitors to take action, whether that’s booking an appointment, buying your product or submitting a contact form.
While there are plenty of resources available to help you build your own cookie cutter-style website, a professional web designer understands the technical, visual and functional aspects of web design. They have the expertise to develop a unique site that reflects your brand and supports your business to grow.
But what qualities should you look for in a website designer, and where can you find the best in Canberra? Let’s take a closer look.
What makes a great web design company?
Designing a website that’s both functional and attractive isn’t as easy as you might expect. To increase the likelihood of a successful website design project, it can help to keep in mind the following qualities:
- Technical know-how. Want to work with WordPress, Drupal or another site-building platform? Look for a web designer who understands the ins and outs of your chosen platform. Not sure which platform you need, or think you might be better off building a website completely from scratch? Your web designer should be able to offer professional advice tailored to your specific business requirements.
- An eye for design. A huge part of web design is, well, the design. Your finished website should be as attractive as it is straightforward to use. The best web designers are happy to share their portfolios and testimonials, so don’t be afraid to ask to see work samples if you’re unsure.
- Thorough briefing process. Check that your chosen web designer undertakes a comprehensive client briefing process to ensure they understand your brand, style, target market and what makes your business special. This will minimise back-and-forth revisions and ensure the site meets your needs.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices. Search engines look for things like readability, loading time, and mobile-friendliness when ranking websites for key terms. Be wary of any web designer who promises they can get you on the first page of Google search results (this may be an impossible guarantee, especially if your business is in a highly competitive niche), or who uses SEO tactics that seem dodgy, like spam commenting, keyword stuffing or link farms.
- Value for money. It’s no secret that higher quality, more complex sites are more expensive. Shop around for quotes to make sure that you’re paying a fair price for what you get.
The top web designers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
ED. is a boutique, high-end creative agency with offices in Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne. Its passionate team of thinkers, designers and developers believes in the power of innovation, and delivers some of the highest quality, most comprehensive website design and branding services in Australia.
ED.’s client list includes the 2018 Invictus Games, Transport Canberra and the Sydney Film Festival. Its commitment to functional design, bolstered by industry-leading technical knowledge, ensures web design projects deliver real, long-lasting results.
If you choose ED. to design your next website, expect its team to work to understand your organisation’s needs, values and core brand message, and effectively communicate this through all its creations.
Exalted Digital is a Canberra-based digital marketing agency that offers complete digital marketing packages and stand-alone web design services.
Exalted’s team of dedicated UX and UI designers and developers produce seamless graphics and content across websites, apps, social and online marketing platforms. They focus on understanding the end user to deliver web solutions that are both functional and look great.
Here’s what happy client Jo had to say about her experience with Exalted Digital in a website testimonial: “I have used Exalted Digital since June 2018. In that time Kevin and his team have been great to work with. The team is very responsive and easy to deal with. I am always kept in the loop and updated regularly, they are creative and well prepared,” she said.
Canberra web design company Zenneo Design brings together experience, energy and new age designs to build creative, innovative and functional websites.
The team of talented designers behind Zenneo Design believe a website is the foundation of any business’s success. Every element should have a purpose, and Zenneo Design can help you define, develop, and launch your website or landing page with ease.
Here’s what happy client Jordan had to say about their experience with Zenneo Design in a Facebook review: “110% satisfied! Zenneo designs WILL meet your needs. Fast, quick and reliable and went out of his way for me. Would recommend to anyone looking for a top designer who is passionate and willing to go the extra mile,” they wrote.
Subz Designs is a web design agency founded and headquartered in Canberra. In addition to professional web design services, Subz Design offers the full suite of digital solutions, from mobile app development to social media marketing and support, so you can engage one company for all your digital needs.
Its team works with businesses of all sizes and across industries, including local law firms, optometrists, physiotherapists and education institutions.
Committed to helping businesses thrive, Subz’s websites are attractive, functional, and inspire action. What more could you want?
Your experience with web designers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the Canberra web designers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.