Whether you’re a small business owner, a marketing executive for a big brand or a salesperson converting prospective buyers into loyal customers, you can’t overestimate the importance of a professional and well-designed website.
A purpose-built website is more than a nice piece of design. It should be intuitive and easy-to-use. It should also work equally well on mobile devices, tablets and PCs.
Designing a website that’s functional and attractive isn’t as easy as you might expect. For a successful website project, you’ll need to hire a professional digital company. This can help you sort through the complexities involved. It can also help you streamline your project.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a website designer, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great website designer?
There are plenty of resources for building your own website. A professional web designer, however, understands the technical, visual and functional aspects of web design and structure. They are experts at developing unique site. This is a site that reflects your brand and supports your business to grow.
Choosing the right website designer can help fast-track your project. It can also take the stress out of dealing with a technical environment.
- Technical know-how. You’ll want a website designer who uses a platform that suits your needs, whether that’s WordPress, Drupal or another site-building platform. Seek advice from your website designer on different platforms. Make sure they have experience with the one you choose.
- Eye for design. A huge part of web design is, well, the design. Your finished website should be as attractive as it’s straightforward to use. Check out website designers’ own websites. Also explore their portfolios. You can even ask the designers to talk you through projects they’ve completed.
- Briefing and communications. Check your chosen web designer pays attention to your brief. Ask for an in-depth conversation at the start of your project. Cover your needs, desires, target market, culture, style and competitive edge. Make sure your web designer is a great communicator. This will help you understand what you’re getting. It can also minimise costly revisions.
- Search engine optimisation (SEO) knowledge. Search engines are complex beasts. You’ll want a website designer who understands all that is involved. This way, existing and new clients can find you. Make sure your designer clearly communicates what SEO. Ask how you can take advantage of it.
- Value-for-money. It’s no secret that higher quality, more complex sites can be more expensive. Whatever your budget, you’ll want to shop around for quotes. This will make sure you pay a fair price and get value-for-money.
The best website designers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
ED. is a boutique, high-end creative agency with offices in Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne. Its passionate team of thinkers, designers and developers believes in the power of innovation, and delivers some of the highest quality, most comprehensive website design and branding services in Australia.
ED.’s client list includes the 2018 Invictus Games, Transport Canberra and the Sydney Film Festival. Its commitment to functional design, bolstered by industry-leading technical knowledge, ensures web design projects deliver real, long-lasting results.
If you choose ED. to design your next website, expect its team to work to understand your organisation’s needs, values and core brand message, and effectively communicate this through all its creations.
FIBER is a Canberra-based digital marketing agency that offers bespoke digital marketing and web design and development services.
FIBER’s team of dedicated UX and UI designers and developers produce graphics and content that seamlessly integrate between a business’s websites, apps, social and online marketing platforms. FIBER believes the best design is an equilibrium of functionality and aesthetics, and they know that websites are the most important marketing tool to date. The team is dedicated to constructing a site that will be mobile and tablet responsive, fast to load, easy to navigate and, of course, have a fresh and elegant look. FIBER also ensures that it will be simple for clients to modify and maintain the site themselves after handing over the reins.
As Stephanie Bow says of FIBER on Google, “We switched from previous SEO agency and started working with Kevin and his team from start of 2019. Our relationship has gone from just managing SEO to now powering all of our marketing, everything digital.”
DR Print has provided printing and design solutions across Canberra and Australia for more than 23 years. Professional and creative graphic design services support businesses with their image, branding and marketing. With websites, DR Print’s designers offer each client advice on creating an attractive and function online presence.
On Google, Olivia Johnson wrote, “Great customer service and support. The staff are really friendly and patient. They know what you need and are always open to suggestions for your business. Would definitely recommend and use them again!”
Subz Designs is a web design agency providing professional web design services. It also provides the full suite of digital solutions. This includes mobile app development to social media marketing and support. Subz Designs works with businesses of all sizes and across all industries. Its websites are attractive, functional and inspire action.
Mina Zaki wrote on Google, “Working with Subz Design was a great experience. They’ve been professional and responsive. We’re very happy with the look of our new website.”
Zenneo Design brings together experience, energy and new age designs to build creative, innovative and functional websites. Its designers believe a website is the foundation of any business’s success. Zenneo Design helps clients define, develop, and launch websites with ease.
BBS Homes wrote on Google, “Amazing design work. We have had everything from our website tom promotional work done by the Zenneo Design team and each time their work is fantastic. Great value, quick and always have great advice.”
Whilst you’re searching for a web designer, you might also like to look at our articles on the best marketing agencies, the best graphic designers, the best photographers, the best videographers and the best billboards and signage our city has to offer.
Your experience with website designers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the Canberra website designers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.