You are well on the way to planning your wedding day in Canberra; a momentous occasion marking the unity of love, family, and life – and without doubt you want it to be memorable.
Every Canberra wedding celebration is a feast for the senses; and now is the time to focus on creating the right atmosphere through sound, selecting your wedding band.
From the ceremony to the reception your wedding band plays a huge role in drumming up the mood and connecting your guests with the emotion that they day will have in store.
With all this responsibility it is no wonder that wedding bands are booked well in advance. Finding a skilled local wedding band that reflects your style is one thing; but selecting the right one without seeing them play live is another!
If you’re searching for professional wedding band in Canberra then look no further. We’ve taken the time to do some research and have some handy points to make this process a easier, along with some recommendations for the best wedding bands in the Canberra region.
What makes a great wedding band?
Choosing the right wedding band will help create an atmosphere that not only reflects who you are as a couple, it will also energise the mood and thoroughly entertain your guests.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a wedding band:
- Style Match. Every couple is unique and so too are their tastes in music. Seek a wedding band that not only compliments your taste; but one that also suits the venue and overall theme of the day. A string quartet exudes formal elegance, a salsa band screams fun, while jazz speaks of sophisticated sass. Consider whether the band suits the venue and surrounds and be sure to peruse any available demos or videos from previous weddings to get a feel for they work in the moment.
- Expertise. When it comes to wedding band experience is key. Look for bands who are veterans in this space to ensure a polished performance on your big day. Several well-heeled years performing live to diverse audiences ensures your band of choice is versed in reading the room; and tailoring their performance to ride the response of the crowd.
- Expansive Repertoire. A wedding is a long affair and often attended by an eclectic mix of people. This mean that you can’t simply be guided by your own tastes; consider your guests and the type of music they will want to listen – and dance to. Ensure your band can cater their set to a broad mix of genres and styles to bring music to the ears of each guest. Be sure to nut out your song list, along with any of their suggestions on what to have – as great bands will have loads to contribute to make your wedding one to remember.
- Flexibility. While the contract should cover all of the main items for your event, some aspects of your wedding are harder to plan for. Be sure to understand contingencies for things like illness; whether they are prepared to extend their set, by how long and respective charges. Also consider how they perform; are they willing to adapt to suit changing moods of the reception, are they open to taking requests, and can they lead a crowd to really get the party going.
- Professionalism. With the level of detail and planning that goes into every aspect of a wedding, both large and small, you want to have comfort knowing that your wedding band will execute their duties with nothing less than polished perfection. Whether they are there as the band alone or acting as master of ceremonies, be sure to check that they will look and act the part. What will they wear, when will they arrive, how long do they need for a sound check, what equipment will be needed and so on.
The best wedding bands in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Azlan is an engaging, original and super adaptable performer who sets himself apart with his unique and distinctive style. With an interesting musical foundation of percussion-oriented acoustic guitar playing and layering of riff, rhythm and vocal harmony, this attention-grabbing technique combined with his enthusiastic stage presence gives a lively, dynamic and surprising show.
Azlan’s variety and quality is also impressive – he can satisfy a broad range of music lovers with a playlist of covers that spans both time and style, delivered with his own refreshing takes and laid back ambience, able to satisfy expectations, do justice to classics and still infuse his own flavour into the tunes.
Azlan’s music is all about putting the audience at ease, crafting an atmosphere of beers on the beach and lazy Sundays and music you can’t help but dance to. Book Azlan Bathusha for your wedding, and you and your guests are guaranteed to have an amazing time.
Formed in a garage in 2013, Brother Be is a four-piece rock band with a very important mission: to put a smile on your face. With a repertoire of upbeat party anthems that celebrate all the good things in life, their music will give your wedding the celebratory feel it deserves. Their music has shifted in the last few years from party jams to brooding and epic rock, but with no loss of energy – Brother Be is sure to unite the crowd at your wedding and have everyone dancing.
Formed by four local Canberra lads, String Elephants boasts a youthful sound with sweet melodies, funky bass lines and up-beat rhythms. Their debut single ‘Fluorescent’ hit #2 on Triple J’s Unearthed chart in 2016. Since then, they’ve been making waves in the local scene and have since gone on to support one of their biggest influences, Last Dinosaurs.
Smooth Ops have been wowing audiences in Canberra for over 10 years, performing at countless weddings, gala’s and black-tie events. Offering nothing but the real deal, this band brings powerful vocals and tight harmonies underpinned by live instrumental.
Fun and energetic, Smooth Ops are also incredibly professional bringing the polish and poise that only an experienced wedding band can deliver. For a smooth operation and a night to remember, look no further than Smooth Ops.
Andrew Rickard provided this review on Facebook, “Exceptional show band for every occasion!”
Performing at over 60 weddings each year Hitparade are a multi-talented four-piece band with each artist clocking over an impressive 20 years in the industry.
Featuring a live guitar with male and female vocals they are known for delivering rich harmonies, broad arrangements and super stylish presentations to an ever-changing list of classics and hits.
For a Canberra wedding band who are small in size but big in sound look to Hitparade.
Joe Condi gave Hitparade a glowing review on Google, “We would highly recommend Hitparade for any function. Everyone at our wedding enjoyed, and danced the night away. My wife and I loved the performance that much that we stayed till the end.”
Will Campbell is a solo singer-songwriter and guitarist with an easy-going and authentic sound, boasting enchanting guitar melodies and effortless vocals. Busy recording his debut EP, Will has also been performing regularly at gigs here in Canberra and interstate, at events like Relay for Life and opening for other artists in Melbourne and Sydney. If you book Will for the entertainment at your wedding, he is sure to provide a romantic and uplifting performance from beginning to end – perfect for the occasion!
Baker Boys Band are a customisable 3 to 14-piece band that specialises in high-energy live music. They are widely regarded, performing at weddings, corporate functions, and touring with artists for the last 15 years.
They offer diverse packages scaled to band size and are incredibly well versed in an array of musical styles. If you want a band to know what and when to play, Baker Boys Band is a sure pick.
Shanelle Bird shared this wonderful review on Google, “The Baker Boys were amazing. We love them, our guests loved them and we never wanted them to stop playing their music. They are professional, great to work with and their voices were amazing.”
With 10 years and over 500 weddings Something Like This has built a flawless reputation for delivering exciting and memorable wedding performances.
Catering to a broad mix of musical styles they at home playing everything from jazz, to pop, rock, and soul and even top 40. Available for the intimacy of your vows to the height of your reception this Canberra Wedding Band are to get those hands in the air.
Paula shared their great experience with Something Like This on RiotACT, “Had them play for us at our reception a month or two ago. FANTASTIC! Super easy to deal with and got everyone up and dancing the whole night…highly recommend.”
Ghostnoises, or Liam White, is a solo electronic and live acoustic artist. With a unique and experimental sound drawing from many influences and genres, Liam is guaranteed to add a whole new dimension to the entertainment at your wedding, with irresistible rhythm and captivating melodies. From playing at the Phoenix Bar and Smith’s Alternative here in Canberra, to the Loaded Laneway Festival back in 2018, to supporting acts such as Kingston County and Boroky at the Street Theatre, Liam’s got great experience playing in front of crowds and getting them on their feet.
The FireKatz is a local trio, specialising in classic rock with infectious charisma and rhythm. Having played all over Canberra and surrounds, The FireKatz are sure to get everyone on the dancefloor, making your wedding night one to remember.
Looking for more wedding bands? The Canberra Fair is designed to help create your perfect wedding. Fair access will allow brides to be to explore and experience an array of premier wedding bands on show; a bridal runway; foodie fair and more. Keep an eye on Canberra Fair for details of the next showcase.
Your experience with wedding bands in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the wedding venues listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.