As the end of another year approaches, the sweet sound of red and gold jingle bells can be heard just around the corner. And with this sentiment comes the start of the silly season, a month-long extravaganza that helps us put the year that was to bed.
But whilst we launch head-on into seasonal festivities, the old Christmas party must be sorted. Night of nights for your office bound colleagues, Christmas parties are loved by young and old alike. The bubbles, the nibbles, the dancing – not to mention the gossip!
And if your workplace is as diverse as ours, finding the perfect Christmas party venue can be daunting. A quiet pub tipple may be enough for some, while others much prefer a sassy rooftop haunt.
If you find yourself responsible for organising, there is the added pressure of upping the ante on previous soirees. Nevertheless, that should be the least of your worries as time sure is ticking. Thus, to avoid scrambling for a last-minute booking take the time to consider your options well.
For this reason, we have pulled together a liquorice assortment of Canberra’s best Christmas party venues. Whilst each offers something a little different, they all have a few important things in common. Great atmosphere, wonderful service, and the promise of fun.
So, let’s get planning.
What makes a great work Christmas party venue?
The best work Christmas party venues make seasonal entertaining a breeze! They offer a lively atmosphere, a dose of fun, and service with a smile. They are known for their wonderful food and flowing drinks, and draw us back year after year. Here are our tips on finding the right work party venue for your next Christmas party:
- Pop the bubbles. This is a party people. And after a long working year, I have no doubt that your guests sure want it to feel like one! While good food can be found at many locations, the best Christmas party venues offer something memorable. Whether it is a rolling garden lawn, buzzing city, or gleaming rooftop, look for something out of the ordinary. A lively atmosphere and impressive location, sets the tone of the occasion that a fun-filled party should be.
- Delectable delights. Canberra’s best Christmas party venues know how important their food and beverage selections can be. Be it a la carte, set, or packaged canapes, they will offer nothing less than sheer gastronomic delights. Food should be freshly prepared using seasonal produce and be generously served. While an amuse bouche has its place, simple dishes made well are perfect for large scale events. Furthermore, careful consideration should be given to the beverage selection. The best venues will cater to well-priced quality options, from sparkling to wine, beer and beyond.
- Smiling service. Many Christmas party venues will have dedicated events teams ready and waiting to host your event. Look beyond the first impression and ensure that staff are friendly, attentive, and skilled.
- Super convenient. Any leader knows that directing staff from one venue to another is much like herding cats. To minimise the mayhem, consider a venue that is readily accessible and close to public transport. There may be one conveniently located within walking distance, or short bus ride away. It is also worth considering shuttle services to make getting to and from your venue easy – and safe.
- Perfect packages. Regardless of your party size, you will want a venue that caters to your needs, whilst staying under budget. Be sure to do your research and review inclusions with each venue to fully understand options with food, beverages, and extras. Scalable packages with flexible inclusions, pricing and payment terms will all help to extract the most value.
The best work Christmas party venues in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Located in the heart of Canberra City, The Highball Express offers an exotic island vibe, that is bright, breezy, and fun. With spaces aplenty, this cocktail bar’s team will take your Christmas party function from ordinary to extraordinary.
Offering an impressive selection of bites and beverages along with optional band, DJ, or Latin dancers The Highball Express is bound to get your party started. For a holiday feeling right at home look to The Highball Express.
Cameron Heath shared this review on Google, “Visited for a private function. Great space, amazing interior, and friendly staff who know how to mix a drink – all made for a great night.”
Home to quirky-cool, QT Canberra provides an indulgent and opulent backdrop for intimate and bold events alike. Boasting a myriad of glorious spaces for party groups of 10 to 700, you will find all your dining, drinking, and dancing needs covered.
With events hosted in the award-winning Lucky’s Speakeasy Bar, to the QT Lounge, or Capitol Bar and Grill, this sumptuous venue has it all. For a unique and indulgent event with merry delights designed within look to QT Canberra.
As Matt G shared on Google, “Excellent venue and excellent catering!”
This modern-hawker style venue encapsulates some the best Asian-fusion dining available in the Canberra region. Home to many tasty morsels, extensive sake list, and a raw bar this venue has character in spades.
Perfect for a Christmas party with a twist, Akiba caters wonderfully to groups across two function spaces accommodating between 70 to 250 guests. They offer enticing food packages, along with extras like a sake bar or whisky station. For a hip Asian vibe and festival for the palette look to Akiba.
Cameron Bell shared their Christmas party experience on Google, “Decided to host our first work Christmas party here this year and we were not disappointed…”
Kokomo’s have earnt an enviable reputation for their trans-pacific cuisine, crafty cocktails, and lush island interiors. Set in the heart of Canberra City, this venue spans two stories, offering a choice of spaces for your next Christmas party event.
Whether you are looking for an intimate sit-down dinner for 7, or larger canape style event for 400+ Kokomo’s has it covered. For a fresh island feel and seriously good food, Kokomo’s is the one for you.
Paige Goodman shared her experience of Kokomo’s on Google, “We had our very first Christmas Party as a newly incorporated Company at Kokomo’s on the weekend. Our experience was beyond 5 stars…”
Newly opened Assembly is a gem of a place. This beautiful pub boasts an industrial-luxe vibe, with dark and moody interiors cleverly juxtaposed against a bright beer garden rolling green lawn.
With a mixture of functional spaces, each can cater to between 40-120 guests a piece. The people’s pub offers an extensive array of Christmas party options, for lunch, afternoon, or evening events.
With everything from share, buffet, canapes, to just drinks – this venue really is hard to beat. For a casually cool and quintessentially Australian vibe look to Assembly.
Ian Esplin shared his experience on Google, “A vibrant atmosphere with the capacity to cater to large numbers both inside and outside in the leafy courtyard. The bar and food service is very friendly, quick and efficient with a wide range of beers on tap and a good selection of main courses and snacks. The menu is interesting mainstream without being too quirky.”
If you’re looking for more information on work Christmas party venues in Canberra, you might like our articles on the best cocktail bars, the best wine bars, the best catering services, the best function venues, or the best fine dining Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with work Christmas party venues in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the work Christmas party venues listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.