Territory and Municipal Services are putting the word out about the dreaded death cap mushroom returning to our fields and fens.
The ACT Government is reminding Canberrans to avoid eating wild mushrooms found growing in the ACT, as autumn is when death cap mushrooms start to grow in many parks and nature strips throughout Canberra. A number of improvements have been made to existing death cap mushroom signage at identified death cap mushrooms sites, especially in the inner north and inner south of Canberra.
“Following the Coroner’s reports into the deaths of two Canberrans who ingested death cap mushrooms last year, the ACT Government has improved death cap mushroom signage to include a warning in Chinese, as well as the international symbol for poison,” said Fleur Flanery, Director, City Services.
“The new death cap mushroom warning signs include statements in Chinese traditional and Chinese simplified, which warn that death cap mushrooms are poisonous and can kill if ingested.
“The ACT Government has replaced warning signs at a number of identified death cap mushroom sites in the inner north and inner south of Canberra. New signs have also been placed at recently identified sites in the suburbs of Braddon and Turner.
“Death cap mushrooms are sometimes confused with straw mushrooms which are grown and eaten throughout large parts of Asia. While both species have a cup like volva at the base of the stem, the deadly death cap mushroom can be distinguished by its white gills.
“To be safe, people should avoid wild mushrooms, especially those with white gills.