Customer service at the Civic Nokia Care Centre

NH 11 September 2008 72

I transferred data via Bluetooth to my mobile phone (a Nokia Ngage QD), resulting in an out of memory message. Phone did not allow deletion of files to make room or to do anything else on the phone (giving a message saying that the phone was out of memory) turned phone off and now it wont start up again. Have researched this and it seems to be the “WSOD—White screen of death” which is a known bug in this series of phone. “WSOD is simply when your N-Gage’s internal memory gets so full it can no longer re-start itself.” The keywords WSOD and Ngage will return many, many results when search engined all saying the same thing.

Visited the Nokia Care Centre in Canberra City at lunchtime (there was a queue of people waiting there which was quite amusing)  and was told that there was no other way around it but to pay for repairs ($50), and that it was impossible for the consumer to fix it themselves. The guy that was serving me kept going on about how great this phone was and how he hadnt seen one for a while and then, unbelievably (I am still laughing/crying to myself) when it was established that the only way to fix Nokias own software fault (a really stupid one I might add) was to pay for it he asked for my name to book in the repair without even asking me whether I wanted to proceed and when I refused saying that it was ridiculous he starting talking about how Nokia has these new phones out that played Ngage style games, brought up the store in his browser and…launched into trying to sell me one…are these people trained to act like this? Would I have gotten the same response in another state?

Next stop was the Nokia customer support line which denied all knowledge of this problems existence (or to be more exact the person on the other end of the phone said so, I didn’t hear her typing to verify such things) and she kept repeating EXACTLY the same line to the point of hair pulling along the lines of – you have to take it into a Nokia Care Centre (the only one is in Canberra City and I already had paid them a wonderful visit) and pay for repairs while I was still trying to explain what the problem was.

I consider myself to be a reasonable person, but if you manufacture a phone and it wont even start because the memory is full and you, as a company, realised this fault in the PREVIOUS incarnation of the phone (the Nokia Ngage minus the QD) and did jack all to fix it, the LEAST you can do after the consumer has lost all of the precious data (all my dear saved messages and many of my contacts which save to the phone, luckily I backed some of these up) is to have the decency to treat your customer right and fix it so the phone actually works (I was even prepared before I went in to pay and let it slide if it was $20 or so to save the effort of going up against them as sometimes its just easier to let the big guy push you around). Let alone getting off the phone actually shaking from being spoken to so severely and hearing the blatent lies.

I am still in shock that the Canberra City Nokia “Care” Centre tried to sell me a new phone because unless he had a disorder and couldnt sense peoples emotions at all he must have been able to tell I was less than impressed at what Nokia had dished me up already.

Will try and pursue the matter, contacted the ACCC who recommended to try Fair Trading NSW (where Nokias portfolio is) under my statutory rights. Its all a bit scary as I have never been motivated enough to do such a thing before.

I recommend against purchasing a Nokia phone (I  realise I am just a little voice out there trying to speak out against something so big that I can’t fathom it) if this is the way they treat thier customers.

72 Responses to Customer service at the Civic Nokia Care Centre
realityskin realityskin 4:07 pm 11 Sep 08

Loquaciousness said :

What? Reality?

How about I just spank you ?

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 4:07 pm 11 Sep 08

NH – I don’t think you do understand what OOM is, given that comment.

If you’ve hit OOM, you can’t shut down some programs to regain memory. That’s what OOM means. To quote myself quoting Wikipedia – “no additional memory can be allocated for use by programs or the operating system”.

The act of getting into the device uses memory. You don’t have any. Even if you could boot the device (which you can’t), then you wouldn’t be able to get into any of the programs, because that uses memory. You don’t have any. Even if you could get into some of the programs (which, again, you can’t), you wouldn’t be able to close them down, because (and this may shock you) that uses memory too. Strangely enough, you don’t have any.

L

caf caf 4:05 pm 11 Sep 08

Imagine a car where you can wind the windows down… but if you wind them too far, they stick down and the car refuses to move again.

NH NH 3:54 pm 11 Sep 08

Loquaciousness said :

realityskin said :

gargamel said :

Because the hard drive wouldn’t have the memory to continue operating. I’m sure I’ve already said it, it’s called an OOM (out of memory) error. And it’s quite common.

Can i have some of what you’re on !?!

What? Reality?

Out of memory (OOM) is an undesired state of computer operation where no additional memory can be allocated for use by programs or the operating system. Such a system will be unable to load any additional programs and since many programs may load additional data into memory during execution, these will cease to function correctly. This occurs because all available memory, including disk swap space, has been allocated.

From Wikipedia

L

I am quite aware of what OOM is, and aware that you know about it too as you have mentioned it a few times, well done. Running too many programs at a time and running out of memory usually involves shutting down some programs to regain memory which would be fine. My brick is out of space. There should be storage allocated to startup which on this phone requires writing to the disk so the phone would remain operable.

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 3:47 pm 11 Sep 08

p1 – as I’ve already said, it probably should have thrown a warning before hitting OOM. As I’ve also said, poor design isn’t generally covered by warranty.

And (just because I’m in that kind of mood today) – “it caused the device to loose all functionality”

L

p1 p1 3:40 pm 11 Sep 08

That’s very nice, I just read it as well. My arguement is not that such a state exists, but rather in this context*, it was not a reasonable result that the phone required costly repairs.

* This context being that of a inexperienced user, using a device marketed at “average person”, being told that they can transfer data to it, which they did. If the phone began to run slowly, then perhaps they could claim its resources (memory) are limited, deal with it, but in this case it caused the device to loose all functionality.

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 3:35 pm 11 Sep 08

Aurelius said :

NH, here’s a suggestion: Take Nokia to small claims court to enforce your desire for free repair. Then post to RiotAct to tell us when the hearing is. I could do with a bit of a giggle.

I’d take a day off work for that one … 😉

L

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 3:33 pm 11 Sep 08

realityskin said :

gargamel said :

Can i have some of what you’re on !?!

What? Reality?

From Wikipedia

L

Aurelius Aurelius 3:31 pm 11 Sep 08

realityskin realityskin 3:26 pm 11 Sep 08

gargamel said :

Can i have some of what you’re on !?!

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 3:25 pm 11 Sep 08

p1 said :

I doubt that Nokia would state that you can transfer as much data as you like. Go ahead! Cram another megabyte into it … it’s got special stretchy memory storage 😛

L

p1 p1 3:22 pm 11 Sep 08

The phone did what it was supposed to do until a user action caused it to stop doing that. It’s not Nokia’s fault, no matter how you twist it around.

My argument to this is that what the user did(ie transfer data) was included in the list of thing the phone should be able to do. So if the Holden dealer says that you can drive the car down the road, and after doing so it no longer works, then it doesn’t perform as advertised. If Nokia claims that connectivity is a feature, then they can’t then claim you are at fault for connecting too much.

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 3:17 pm 11 Sep 08

caf said :

If it’s poorly designed to the point that it isn’t of merchantable quality, you sure can.

When NH bought the thing, it worked.

L

caf caf 3:15 pm 11 Sep 08

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 3:11 pm 11 Sep 08

johnboy said :

For mine any competently designed data transfer system in this day and age should be automatically checking if there’s enough space before it kicks off the transfer.

Doubly so for a consumer device.

Sounds like a design failing and therefore the big N’s fault to me.

johnboy – I agree it’s a design fault. But design faults aren’t generally covered under warranty.

realityskin said :

NH said :

that’s a design problem. Not a fault

Same thing honey.

I apologise if my post made it seem that way.

The point I was trying to make is that poor design isn’t generally covered under warranty. Hell, my Vista laptop was poorly designed – that doesn’t mean I can take it back to Harvey Norman and get a refund on it.

L

caf caf 3:09 pm 11 Sep 08

This is more like a Holden without a tacho.

And a 3000 rpm redline.

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 3:07 pm 11 Sep 08

gargamel said :

For all of you lot saying this – are you for REAL?!?

This is an operating system fault. If you maxed out your computer’s hard drive do you expect Windoze (or whatever O/S you use) to give you the blue screen of death?

Err … yes. I would.

gargamel said :

jakez said :

And no, I see very little difference between a phone’s operating system and a desktop computer’s o/s – they’re both made for PROFIT.

Heh – both peterh and myself might have something to say about that … 😉

Those issues aside though, how does something being made for profit affect how they work?

L

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 3:05 pm 11 Sep 08

NH: have you spoken to the mob you bought it off by any chance?

Loquaciousness: no, no – I’ll roll with this one.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.