Customer service at the Civic Nokia Care Centre

NH 11 September 2008 72

I transferred data via Bluetooth to my mobile phone (a Nokia Ngage QD), resulting in an out of memory message. Phone did not allow deletion of files to make room or to do anything else on the phone (giving a message saying that the phone was out of memory) turned phone off and now it wont start up again. Have researched this and it seems to be the “WSOD—White screen of death” which is a known bug in this series of phone. “WSOD is simply when your N-Gage’s internal memory gets so full it can no longer re-start itself.” The keywords WSOD and Ngage will return many, many results when search engined all saying the same thing.

Visited the Nokia Care Centre in Canberra City at lunchtime (there was a queue of people waiting there which was quite amusing)  and was told that there was no other way around it but to pay for repairs ($50), and that it was impossible for the consumer to fix it themselves. The guy that was serving me kept going on about how great this phone was and how he hadnt seen one for a while and then, unbelievably (I am still laughing/crying to myself) when it was established that the only way to fix Nokias own software fault (a really stupid one I might add) was to pay for it he asked for my name to book in the repair without even asking me whether I wanted to proceed and when I refused saying that it was ridiculous he starting talking about how Nokia has these new phones out that played Ngage style games, brought up the store in his browser and…launched into trying to sell me one…are these people trained to act like this? Would I have gotten the same response in another state?

Next stop was the Nokia customer support line which denied all knowledge of this problems existence (or to be more exact the person on the other end of the phone said so, I didn’t hear her typing to verify such things) and she kept repeating EXACTLY the same line to the point of hair pulling along the lines of – you have to take it into a Nokia Care Centre (the only one is in Canberra City and I already had paid them a wonderful visit) and pay for repairs while I was still trying to explain what the problem was.

I consider myself to be a reasonable person, but if you manufacture a phone and it wont even start because the memory is full and you, as a company, realised this fault in the PREVIOUS incarnation of the phone (the Nokia Ngage minus the QD) and did jack all to fix it, the LEAST you can do after the consumer has lost all of the precious data (all my dear saved messages and many of my contacts which save to the phone, luckily I backed some of these up) is to have the decency to treat your customer right and fix it so the phone actually works (I was even prepared before I went in to pay and let it slide if it was $20 or so to save the effort of going up against them as sometimes its just easier to let the big guy push you around). Let alone getting off the phone actually shaking from being spoken to so severely and hearing the blatent lies.

I am still in shock that the Canberra City Nokia “Care” Centre tried to sell me a new phone because unless he had a disorder and couldnt sense peoples emotions at all he must have been able to tell I was less than impressed at what Nokia had dished me up already.

Will try and pursue the matter, contacted the ACCC who recommended to try Fair Trading NSW (where Nokias portfolio is) under my statutory rights. Its all a bit scary as I have never been motivated enough to do such a thing before.

I recommend against purchasing a Nokia phone (I  realise I am just a little voice out there trying to speak out against something so big that I can’t fathom it) if this is the way they treat thier customers.

72 Responses to Customer service at the Civic Nokia Care Centre
NH NH 6:18 pm 11 Sep 08

Mr Waffle said :

Is there a warning given by Nokia that this can and will happen if you try and copy too much data? If yes, then it’s the users fault (though very sloppy design). If no, then it’s Nokia’s fault. Car designers warn against redlining engines, which covers their butts- do Nokia do the same?

Nope, no warning at all!

peterh peterh 6:09 pm 11 Sep 08

Loquaciousness said :

NH, I understand you’re upset about your precious data and everything, but I think you’re taking this a little too hard. We all do stupid things from time to time, sometimes they’re stupid things that can cost a lot of money to fix. Sometimes they’re so stupid they can’t be fixed.

I think you should count yourself lucky that it’s only $50 … it could have been a lot worse.

L

I have an example of a stupid action with a nokia phone, the blasted software update sent me a phone os update, so i flashed the phone. brick. (Telstra don’t want you to do that)

take into nokia, $50.00 fee, new phone a week later. they even gave me a loan phone. (it was a working brick) new phone – filled the internal memory, loaded it up using nokia software on the pc, transferred to the micro SD card, saved. wrong. OOM.

removed battery & sim and passed phone over a really big magnet (don’t try this at home kiddies) strangely enough, it worked.

all good.

2 days later, dropped the phone. smash.

new phone from nokia care, $50.00.

see what nokia can do. they are helpful, they may try and sell you a new phone, but they are the manufacturer. Can’t blame them for trying…

Mr Waffle Mr Waffle 6:07 pm 11 Sep 08

p1 p1 5:53 pm 11 Sep 08

Anyway no need to abuse people just to show you disagree.

I disagree with this statement 🙂

NH NH 5:44 pm 11 Sep 08

Who was that directed at johnboy?

johnboy johnboy 5:32 pm 11 Sep 08

I imagine VG, DJ and Headbonius feel the same way.

Let me get started on lawyers needing advice on the development of legislation sometime.

Anyway no need to abuse people just to show you disagree.

Aurelius Aurelius 5:07 pm 11 Sep 08

JB, I’m just intolerant of sooks who cause their own problems and then blame those who try and help them. Self-inflicted injury deserves no sympathy. And whining about self-inflicted injury just makes me want to hit the ‘victim’.

johnboy johnboy 5:01 pm 11 Sep 08

Come on Aurelius, just because you’ve been embittered by morons needing tech support is no reason to take it out on the rest of the community.

You’re sounding a lot like certain members of the constabulary.

Oh and RealitySkin, best not to continue the innuendo. Thanks.

NH NH 4:59 pm 11 Sep 08

Loquaciousness said :

NH said :

He kept insisting that it was my fault …

Unlike everyone else … ?

NH said :

You didn’t want to get the old one fixed, you still need a phone – where’s the immoral bit?

L

You just selectively quoted me and took me completely out of context. He was saying I put corrupt software on there and I did no such thing. He was trying to sell me a new phone before I’d even finished dealings with the current one. It is immoral if it is their business model to brush people aside and say too bad our old one sucked but buy another one which we won’t support in two years (they have taken down the support site for my current brick completely) and wont give a shit about you when that one “becomes obsolete”.

I am choosing to ignore your further posts Loquaciousness because you are clearly out to rile people up, not offering any sort of useful advise/input and are unreasonable in general.

Aurelius Aurelius 4:54 pm 11 Sep 08

Immoral?
Oh God!

You gunna tell us that OOM errors killed off the Roman Empire next NH?
Get a grip, and stop being such a pathetic whiny sookbag

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 4:50 pm 11 Sep 08

L

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 4:47 pm 11 Sep 08

NH said :

He kept insisting that it was my fault …

Unlike everyone else … ?

NH said :

L

NH NH 4:43 pm 11 Sep 08

@jakez He wasn’t what came accross as a guy trying to give straight up and down honesty. He kept insisting that it was my fault because I probably put corrupt software on there. Trying to sell me a new phone there on the spot while I was still trying to clear up the problems with the old one was not only incredibly ridiculous but completely immoral.

jakez jakez 4:29 pm 11 Sep 08

I don’t know NH, the guy may have been a tad too in love with the NGage but it sounds to me like you simply got straight up and down honesty from the guy. Quite frankly I’d love it if people simply laid down the truth instead of taking 10 minutes to give you info that could be passed on in 10 seconds.

I’m not saying Nokia haven’t put forward a poor program; it would be better if they did have inbuilt warnings. However that said, you caused the OOM and it’s only $50. It’s not much of a statue situation.

I however would also take the day off to see you wage war in small claims court.

realityskin realityskin 4:21 pm 11 Sep 08

Loquaciousness said :

Leave off.

L

Can’t. OOM.

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 4:15 pm 11 Sep 08

realityskin said :

Loquaciousness said :

realityskin said :

Loquaciousness said :

What? Reality?

How about I just spank you ?

Help! Help! I’m being oppressed!

L

No, that would be you on your knees 😀

realityskin – that comment was me trying (in a humorous way) to say that I’m not cool with your comment.

Leave off.

L

realityskin realityskin 4:14 pm 11 Sep 08

Loquaciousness said :

realityskin said :

Loquaciousness said :

What? Reality?

How about I just spank you ?

Help! Help! I’m being oppressed!

L

No, that would be you on your knees 😀

Aurelius Aurelius 4:13 pm 11 Sep 08

caf, it’s not the same as a car with faulty windows. We’re talking about NH BROKE the phone. Then had a sooky whine about being asked to pay to get it fixed. There is no sympathy for self-inflicted injury.

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 4:11 pm 11 Sep 08

And while I’m on the topic:

NH said :

There should be storage allocated to startup which on this phone requires writing to the disk so the phone would remain operable.

Yeah. That space is called swap space. OOM refers to all memory including swap space being allocated.

L

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 4:08 pm 11 Sep 08

realityskin said :

Loquaciousness said :

What? Reality?

How about I just spank you ?

Help! Help! I’m being oppressed!

L

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.