Opinion

Expert strata, facilities & building management services

Binge Drinking in Civic – What can be done?

By Canberragal123 - 25 March 2012 52

Saturday night (March 24, 2012) a group of friends went out for dinner in civic. Now, I live on the south side  so this would be one of the first times going out for dinner and a little karaoke in Civic – but I was pretty excited to visit the “northside” after dark.

After a great evening of dinner and karoake, we left the karaoke bar and to my utter shock and disbelief, I entered into a whole new world…. I saw (in completely unrelated incidents):

– people getting pushed into police cars

– people lying on the cold cement, lying motionless with blood everywhere

– Hundreds of drunk teens falling over themselves

– girls wearing next to nothing.

– cops everywhere!

I was honestly scared for my life….so I found the next available taxi and went home.

Now I don’t have the answers… but I honestly think there needs to be a cultural shift to curb binge drinking amongst uni students…. but where do you begin?

What’s Your opinion?

52 Responses to
Binge Drinking in Civic – What can be done?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
c_c 9:25 pm 26 Mar 12

schmeah said :

Ah, what it is to be young and stupid. To be so misguided that you “live” off cheap food so you have money left over to blow on cheap goon.

Why even drink cheap, does the cheap stuff taste any good?

cantdance 9:16 pm 26 Mar 12

So that’s what happens in Civic at night? Lived in Canberra for 4 years, never been to Civic after dark. I value my sanity.

Tetranitrate 7:34 pm 26 Mar 12

murraythecat said :

milkman said :

Tetranitrate said :

“- girls wearing next to nothing.”
Oh the horror…

I, for one, strongly encourage the ‘less is more’ approach to female clothing.

Does that extend to your own daughters/wife/mother/aunties? I’m sure you encourage “show us ya tits” at summernats as well, um, until that is, it is directed to someone in your own family.

Never been to summernats so I wouldn’t know, but young women have been wearing relatively revealing evening-wear on and off (as fashion changed) for about 90 years now.
(thinking ‘little black dress’es in the 1920s here)

Canberragal123 6:20 pm 26 Mar 12

Alright – point taken that they were not uni students…sorry for that generalisation.I made that call due to the sheer numbers of people and based on the fact that when I went to uni (not so long ago -2000 to 2004 the uni students ruled the clubs from Wed – sun included. Not sure who is ruling the clubs now a days. Back when I went to uni people went to clubs to have fun with their friends and get drunk…and hey I am all for it!! I think it has gotten a little out of hand with the violence.

And in regard to what the girls the girls were wearing, back in the day, your outfit was decided by the nice shirt that you chose and your nice pair of jeans.

Look, I am just calling it as I see it. I urge you all to go out on Saturday night at 1am to see for yourself. Maybe all the violence was an irregular occurrence

schmeah 1:37 pm 26 Mar 12

Micky_P said :

Most of your students go out on Thursday night, if your uni student is able to afford the booze on a Saturday night I’d be investigating their Centrelink payments.

I beg to differ. When I was a uni student, youth allowance was about $180/fortnight for those living at home – which I did in my last year. Irrespective of this menial amount of mulah, I was always ALWAYS able to afford to drink; I just drank cheap, lived off microwave noodles and the local soupie.

Is it the uni students causing problems? Probably not I’d argue.

littlevixen 1:36 pm 26 Mar 12

Duffbowl said :

… I think the only night of the week where you couldn’t get cheap drinks in Civic, Manuka or Kingston was Mondays….

Monday nights = Bobby McGee’s hospitality nights.

Friday nights were also cheap drinks at either Tuggies (at the ‘disco’) or Sails (at was then).

Bluey 1:29 pm 26 Mar 12

Young people bahving debaucherously on a weekend night in Civic.

More news at 7.

Nothing to see here.

00davist 1:12 pm 26 Mar 12

I think some of the problem actually comes down to liquor pricing designed to try and curb issues like this.

As far as i know, there have always been plenty of people who want to go out on a Saturday night with the aim of downing as much as they can, it’s not an new craze, and there has always been a few brawls, and rowdy behavior.

However, a few things have changed in my eyes, one, is clubs, where people originally went out, got pissed, played a bit of pool, and danced etc, now it’s all packed in tight, sweaty, sticky, dirty and to be honest, awful, so may people want to go further, as it’s not a scene for the sober.

Second, the mindset seems to have shifted slightly, while there have always been those who go out to get drunk, it seems more that people don’t want to get just drunk, they want to get blind raging out of it.

And finally, when you mix those with the increased price in booze, it becomes less about aiming for drunk, and more about just aiming for ‘F*cked up’ I can’t count how many people I’ve overheard say “Why spend $200 on booze to get off your face, when you can spend a hell of allot less on a couple of pills”

I am in no way condoning drugs here, it just seems that the element of society only interested in loosing control are also thrifty about doing it!

EvanJames 1:09 pm 26 Mar 12

Duffbowl said :

I’ll concur with that. I can’t recall the sidewalk blues that seem to have become a regular attraction. Nor was there large numbers of plod out and about; when they did make an appearance, it was usually to check if you had meant to fall asleep in one of the bus shelters at the interchange.

Yeah, you hear of guys getting king-hit from behind and people just starting fights, I don’t recall any of that. Sometimes while clumping back to car you’d pass alleys where it appeared that the War Wogs were fighting pitched battles with some rival mob, but they kept it within themselves.

Duffbowl 12:35 pm 26 Mar 12

EvanJames said :

I dunno, it does sound like things have got more violent and over the top than in the 80s and early 90s, when I used to attend Civic for the purposes of getting drunk. Then, there were plenty of drunken folk sitting around outside or staggering back to their cars, but all the fighting etc, I don’t recall that. Vomiting happened later in the morning, I think, as you’d see it the next morning. Maybe the vomiters were more discreet.

Certainly cops everywhere and people lying in pools of blood, never saw that. The odd cop yes, but it wasn’t the war zone described above.

EvanJames 10:23 am 26 Mar 12

bitzermaloney 10:21 am 26 Mar 12

Start with renaming “Civic” because:
– it’s hardly the CBD (it isn’t Central and there is next to no business in it, especially in Garema Place); and
– at night it seems to be hardly civil.

Chop71 10:08 am 26 Mar 12

bloodnut said :

You know you’re old when you’ve forgotten that you used to love doing that when you were their age.

I’m personally happy to hear that young people are still having fun and getting laid.

A small part of me still wishes I was there too…

Micky_P 9:55 am 26 Mar 12

I hate to disagree with your conclusions – but, as a 20 year old uni student I feel somewhat compelled to shed some light on your claims.

I’ve only seen a handful of fights, I’ve never seen blood and I wouldn’t claim the girls are wearing next to nothing. Also, most of those people you see out causing the problems are not uni students.

It’s your 18-30 year old working lad, who is a douchê, that causes the problems.

TL;DR Most uni students are great, most non-uni students cause the problems

tidalik 9:47 am 26 Mar 12

I sort of get what you’re saying, Canberragal. Seeing violence and blood is not very nice and I would be scared too. Just seeing people drunk and having fun doesn’t bother me though.

I personally don’t know why some people have to get all violent and aggressive when they drink. In my youth I drank an awful lot of alcohol on some nights out in Civic but I never got into any fights with anyone. Neither did any of my friends.

Duffbowl 9:24 am 26 Mar 12

Binge drinking is not new, and t doesn’t sound that different to when I came here in the early 90s. I think the only night of the week where you couldn’t get cheap drinks in Civic, Manuka or Kingston was Mondays.

Tuesday – 2 for 1 Margueritas at Montezumas. 2 litres of the stuff for $10.
Wednesday – 2 for 1 drinks at Maddies.
Thursday – Jolly Jugs at Pandoras.
Friday – Cheap drinks at the Private Bin.
Saturday – Cheap drinks at two nightclubs: one where Reece Plumbing is now in Braddon, and one underneath(?) the newsagency on the corner of the bus interchange.
Sunday – Another club who’s name escapes me, in Manuka.

murraythecat 8:55 am 26 Mar 12

milkman said :

Tetranitrate said :

“- girls wearing next to nothing.”
Oh the horror…

I, for one, strongly encourage the ‘less is more’ approach to female clothing.

Henry82 12:29 am 26 Mar 12

‘going out’ night for students is Thursday night, not Saturday.

Stevian 11:42 pm 25 Mar 12

All of the above comment pretty much explain why there is a problem and why the situation will never improve.

beep 10:14 pm 25 Mar 12

Yeah stay home canberragal123.

If you don’t like what goes on in Canberra you definitely wouldn’t like the rest of the world.