The Best Blinds and Awnings in Canberra

Window coverings can make or break the look, feel, and practicality of your home. That’s why proper research and comparison is critical when seeking out blinds and awnings services here in Canberra.

The good news is, we’ve done some of that research for you. After consulting local feedback, we’ve put together this list of the top three blinds and awnings providers in the region.

Are you ready? Great. Let’s get to it.

What makes a quality blinds and awnings provider?

If you’re not sure what exactly to look for when selecting a blinds and awnings provider, start by taking note of the following traits:

• Customised service. Every home or office space is unique. That’s why the best in the industry tailor each and every service to their client. Your custom blinds or awnings should fit properly in your space, function seamlessly, and fulfil all of your window covering needs.
  • Excellent range of products. Blinds and awnings are extremely important to your home or commercial premises – that’s why you need to find the perfect product to fit your property’s look and needs.
  • Experience and expertise. The best blinds and awnings suppliers are total experts – tell them what you want, and they will ensure you achieve the optimal outcome.
  • Competitive price. No one likes to be ripped off. Work with a blinds and awnings expert that charges a fair and competitive price.

The top blinds and awnings suppliers in Canberra according to you

RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.

To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.

Here are our top picks for blinds and awnings suppliers in Canberra.

Canberra’s Best Group Blinds and Awnings Suppliers

The team behinds Canberra’s Best has built a solid reputation of stellar service and quality products among both residential and commercial clients. Offering a free measure and quote service plus professional advice, Canberra’s Best will make sure your property is finished to perfection. What’s more, their showroom is mobile and comes to you – now that’s convenience!

Watson Blinds and Awnings

Quality, expertise, and more than 50 years of experience – that’s what the team at Watson Blinds and Awnings can offer. Family owned and operated, Watson Blinds and Awnings will help you keep your property safe and comfortable all year long. Plus, with warranties on their products up to 10 years paired with ongoing maintenance services, you can rest easy knowing your investment will stand the test of time.

Apollo Blinds Canberra

Apollo is one of the biggest names in blinds and awnings, and when you drop into their Canberra showroom, you’ll see why. Specialising in high-quality and functional wall covering solutions, the team at Apollo can supply you with the perfect product for your needs and budget.

Who did you pick?

Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.

Have you had custom blinds or awning installed in Canberra? Share your experience below.

30 Responses to The Best Blinds and Awnings in Canberra
Sandman Sandman 4:19 pm 15 Feb 15

dungfungus said :

PJW said :

I’ve recently installed honeycomb/cellular blinds from cellularwindowshades.com . Based in the US, even with shipping the cost was less than half any price I was quoted locally.

Canberra, where the disposable incomes are amongst the highest in the world and the shoppers go out of their way to shop everywhere else.
Have a drive around some of the town centres and Fyshwick to see how many empty shops there. Then feel good about yourself.

Canberra, where the retailers feel that the higher disposable income somehow justifies their higher margins than anywhere else and there’s no need to actually keep a suitable level of stock on hand. Most Canberra retailers are simply one extra middleman, ordering stock from the same place Joe Blow of Sydney can walk in off the street and buy minimum quantities.
We don’t have the economies of scale to justify shopping locally for items in excess of $500.

Maya123 Maya123 11:52 am 14 Feb 15

miz said :

Re comment about using second hand curtains – I would think twice, due to bed bugs. Having had to deal with a small outbreak recently after my young adult child returned from Queensland (presumably in the luggage), I can attest that they are very difficult to treat (they are not killed by flea/cockroach bombs, which can just spread the problem). And they don’t just live in beds, they can also live in fabrics, furniture, carpet, your handbag, you name it. (Can you tell I have become mentally obsessed???)

Anyway, I would not wish them on anyone, and apparently vintage/second hand items are notorious so I would steer clear of anything you cannot wash and/or put in a hot dryer for an hour.

As an aside, I am amazed there is not info about bed bugs on TAMS website, particularly as
Canberra is a very transient place and they are often in hotels and luggage. Clearly they ARE here in Canberra, given that hand written sign hanging from one of the govvie flats recently:

Happy to share my experiences further if anyone is experiencing similar issues. If you travelled anywhere over Xmas I would be checking!!

There is a thing called washing. Why would one hang curtains without naturally washing them first?????

miz miz 9:10 am 14 Feb 15

dungfungus dungfungus 9:55 pm 13 Feb 15

PJW said :

PJW PJW 2:20 pm 13 Feb 15

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 9:09 pm 12 Feb 15

Simmo said :

My partner recently used Spotlight and they were terrible. $7000 paid upfront, then had to continually ring them to get them to come and measure. It eventually took them a couple of goes at measuring and four different times for fitting to end up with some average blinds that were poorly fitted and use cheap plastic fittings everywhere. They have since been back (after numerous phone calls) to repair the render they damaged and refit a blind that had started to fall off the wall within one month. Avoid at all costs.

I’d avoid paying $7000 upfront at all costs…

FarrerGirl FarrerGirl 8:22 pm 12 Feb 15

maureen52 said :

We were very happy with our honeycombs from Watson Blinds in Mitchell.

We were also happy with Watson blinds however you get what you pay for when it comes to the accessories – my luxaflex blinds in my old place wre definitely better than the Wason blinds but were double the cost.

maureen52 maureen52 5:31 pm 12 Feb 15

We were very happy with our honeycombs from Watson Blinds in Mitchell.

Simmo Simmo 5:29 pm 12 Feb 15

Leon Leon 1:37 pm 12 Feb 15

If you want insulation, make sure that the blinds will be fitted WITHIN the window frames.

We recently bought cellular blinds like our neighbours’ in the expectation that their insulating properties would repay the additional expense, without going to even more expensive double glazing. We explained this to the salesman, and build window frames to the specifications he provided.

The blinds were installed 2 cm proud of the frames, and we now have a 2 cm all-round gap that in winter will allow convection currents to circulate cold air into the room from from the cold window pane.

After several months of negotiation, the company has agreed to modify the frames so that they will encase the blinds. We’re hoping that they come good before winter.

Maya123 Maya123 1:16 pm 12 Feb 15

VYBerlinaV8_is_back said :

Maya123 said :

mikal said :

I like blindsonline.com.au — roller blinds are trivial to install and the pricing and fabric selection was excellent.

But they have poor insulation.

But still better than having no window coverings.

If you are trying to do this on the cheap, it would be better to visit fetes, second hand shops, etc, or ask people you know if they have old curtains they don’t want. I curtained a whole house for less than $100, buying them from places like I suggested and I was given some by asking people I knew. Many of the curtains were in close to/as new condition and had good separate insulating backings. They were obviously originally expensive. The fittings were extra, but I put those up myself. After the first fitting is in the place the others are done much quicker and it was then easy. Curtains with separate backings have far better insulation value than roller blinds. None of the curtains I used were ugly.

VYBerlinaV8_is_back VYBerlinaV8_is_back 12:41 pm 12 Feb 15

Maya123 said :

mikal said :

But they have poor insulation.

But still better than having no window coverings.

MonarchRepublic MonarchRepublic 12:05 pm 12 Feb 15

mikal said :

Trivial, except in unusual circumstances, like potentially the OPs: “in our loft style apartment. Because the window is five metres high we need someone install the blinds for us.”

Maya123 Maya123 11:41 am 12 Feb 15

mikal said :

But they have poor insulation.

mikal mikal 10:56 am 12 Feb 15

jett18 jett18 9:37 am 12 Feb 15

I can’t recommend a good blind company but I can tell you who to steer clear from: Kresta.

We had many issues with a set of blinds that were installed in the lounge room a couple of years ago– everything from wrong measurements to incorrect installation that lead to the rails falling down almost on top of the person that was closing them at the time.

None of these issues were rectified until legal action was threatened and even then, fixed with a begrudged attitude.

Avoid at all costs.

niftydog niftydog 1:48 pm 11 Feb 15

Derek from Belconnen Blinds is hard to beat. One-man show keeps costs to a bare minimum, after-sales service is fantastic and he’s a really nice guy! 6278 5544

dungfungus dungfungus 1:28 pm 11 Feb 15

Maya123 said :

I installed the honeycomb blinds that you mentioned and I am happy with them. I don’t like curtains, as they crowd the window. Blinds can fold up and not be that noticeable and then you can see out. I went with the honeycomb blinds because of their supposed insulation feature. They are meant to be as good (if not better) than thick curtains. However there is a narrow gap between each blind, which would lower their efficiency. Plus between the window blind and the frame. Therefore I don’t know how re efficiency that would really compare with curtains (with pelmets naturally). I have large windows and need a number of them; six in total on my big window in the lounge room. An advantage of blinds is that they don’t need pelmets, as they fit snug against the top frame, giving a less obtrusive look. I have pull cords to work them. I would have preferred motorised ones, but that was an added expense I didn’t want at the time; adding several hundred dollars for each blind.
As you have found out, some shops charge MUCH more for the same product. Without digging through my papers I’m sorry I can’t remember who installed them, but I went with the cheapest quote and was happy with the result.
The foil lined (block-out light) honeycomb blinds have a higher R insulation value than the ones that let light through. White is also the most efficient shade of blind.
Your windows are tall, so it would probably be best to get them motorised.

Other blinds and shutters do not usually insulate as well as the honeycomb blinds. I use them in combination with double glazed windows.

Wow!
That tops my humble contribution.

Maya123 Maya123 12:16 pm 11 Feb 15

Your windows are tall, so it would probably be best to get them motorised.

dungfungus dungfungus 11:43 am 11 Feb 15

I recently installed several internal remote controlled roller blinds. The choice of shades/colours is great.
These have re-chargable batteries in the roller tube and would be ideal in a high, out of the way place such as you have suggested.
They can be “hard wired” for 240v operation as well but I have found the battery ones only need re-charging once a year if used regularly.
Apollo Blinds in Fyshwick were by far the best value – I have purchased plantation shutters from them also and the quality, installation and service are excellent.
Forget any perceived insulation benefit though – you need double-glazing for that.
Give Mark at Apollo a call.

Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | riotact.com.cn | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com