News

Skilled legal advice with
accessible & personal attention

Body in the lake

By johnboy 23 October 2011 50

lake memorial

ACT Policing’s Water Operations this morning (Sunday, October 23) recovered the body of a man from Lake Burley Griffin near the Commonwealth Avenue Bridge.

A post mortem will be conducted although at this time, there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the man’s death. A report is being prepared for the Coroner.

[Courtesy ACT Policing]

Our information is the deceased had been drinking heavily at ANU’s Octoberfest before going for an ill advised swim.

UPDATE: The Canberra Times are saying it was one William Boyle who appears to have been a very popular guy.

What’s Your opinion?

50 Responses to
Body in the lake
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
LSWCHP 9:02 pm 24 Oct 11

A colleague pointed me at an article in the Oct 2011 National Geographic called “The New Science of the Teenage Brain”. I’ve only had the chance to skim it so far, but the essence of the story seems to be that human brains don’t finish maturing until about age 25, and until then, people will behave in ways that are incomprehensible to older people, including engaging in very risky activities that are potentially fatal.

While these risky activities occasionally result in harm, up to and including death, they are actually a consequence of positive evolutionary adaptation. In other words, what seems crazy to us old folks is generally beneficial to the human race as a whole. Unfortunately, the positive aspects of the risk taking are occasionally offset by tragedies such as this.

If this is correct (and it seems reasonable to me) then all the well meaning attempts to make the world as safe as possible are pointless. Sometimes things will just go sadly awry as they have here.

My sincere condolences to the family and friends of this unfortunate young man.

farnarkler 7:08 pm 24 Oct 11

This is a very good ad which should be shown on Australian tv: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQHd96-jHdU

creative_canberran 7:01 pm 24 Oct 11

mcs said :

I thought Oktoberfest (the big one they have at Epic/Horse Track wherever it is up there) wasn’t until next week?

It is, that’s the one with German beer, wine and food with a 50 year heritage.

The ANU one is the piss fest where you drink jugs of Tooheys solo, throw up in Sullies then skip classes for the next few days. There are already reports of some UC students going around groping girls after dark following this year’s event and stories from past years of even worse occurring. Wallets, phones and so on lost at the event. Basically an excuse to get off your brain.

creative_canberran 6:22 pm 24 Oct 11

I think suggestions about banning booze on campus are stupid, but then again, so are the events themselves typically. Oktoberfest is just a convenient name to dress up a chance to get pissed as a legitimate cultural event. Crap music, crap beer and crap food. In fact the ANU Bar markets the event as having:

“bubbles, beach balls, plasmas, invigorating lighting, chuppa chups, fire twirling and never-ending kegs.”

What’s German about it? I would suggest that if the event were any good, there would be little reason to “skylark.” No doubt it’s a sad case but frankly, you can have fun at any age without being a d-head. The tragedy is that despite these cases happening over and over, people don’t learn.

Merle 5:52 pm 24 Oct 11

Padoof said :

Waiting For Godot said :

“No suspicious circumstances” again. Someone get the cops a dictionary so they can spell the word suicide properly in their press releases.

It is my understanding:
1. that there is an embargo on using the word ‘suicide’ in newspaper reports, and
2. ‘No suspicious circumstances’ is to infer that ‘foul play’ is not being considered; ie, the death is not a result of a murder, or that it is suicide.

Heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of this young man.

It has been repeatedly observed that media reports on suicide are linked to a spike in suicides. The police aren’t about to encourage that by putting it in their media releases.

chewy14 5:27 pm 24 Oct 11

dungfungus said :

harryhaller said :

Deref said :

Yeah, I’m sure this would work.

Something positive always emerges out of an avoidable tragedy and this suggestion is one. It would be sensible in anyone’s language for the ANU (and other local tertiary education institutions) to totally ban the annual alcohol fuelled “orientation week” and Oktoberfest and similar drunken festivities.
After all, these places are supposed to inspire higher learning; not lower thinking.
Let’s get it underway.

Why not just ban lakes and rivers instead? Plus anywhere someone might fall and injure themselves.
Oh and compulsory stackhats for everyone.

OzChick 5:08 pm 24 Oct 11

I remember hearing about a similar incident years ago about an ANU student. He/she was walking home from the uni bar to their uni residence and drowned in the creek on campus.

dungfungus 4:54 pm 24 Oct 11

harryhaller said :

Deref said :

Yeah, I’m sure this would work.

Let’s get it underway.

harryhaller 3:13 pm 24 Oct 11

Deref said :

Yeah, I’m sure this would work.

Padoof 2:06 pm 24 Oct 11

Waiting For Godot said :

It is my understanding:

Heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of this young man.

Mysteryman 11:38 am 24 Oct 11

chewy14 said :

Deref said :

My daughter lost a close friend a couple of years ago in similar circumstances – ~20 years old, a drunken night out, tried doing something that he probably could have done easily when sober and died as a result.

I doubt that there’s an answer to it. My daughter’s friend wasn’t an idiot. Sober, he would have been well aware of the effects of alcohol. Perhaps a campaign exposing young men (it seems to be men) to the agony that families and friends go through in these circumstances might be a deterrent.

Yeah, I had a mate who died in similar circumstances when I was 20. Skylarking when drunk is not a good combination.
I think young men know the dangers of doing stuff like this but we just think we’re invincible at that age.
I think there’s enough knowledge out there, particularly through the road safety campaigns as to what can happen if you’re not careful. But there will always be accidents because this kind of stuff happens to other people right?

^^ This. You can campaign and legislate against stupidity until you’re blue in the face, but people will keep making the choice to binge drink and that’s when they will hurt themselves. Nobody’s fault but their own. The tragic thing is that the ones left behind have to deal with the aftermath.

chewy14 10:37 am 24 Oct 11

Deref said :

scorch76 10:14 am 24 Oct 11

Hardly suspicious.
alcohol inhibiting rational thought
walking/riding to Manuka/Kingston/Home (I used to do that from Civic after/during a night out all the time).
thought a jump from the bridge would be a good idea/fun/brave.
either got his mates or he chucks his stuff he doesn’t want wet on the foreshore for easy retrieval.
runs back up on the bridge.
takes the leap – possibly hits water badly or the bottom if not far out enough.
postmortem will help detrmine how he died.
being a young fool with little regard for self preservation once upon a time – that lived in the inner south – my mates and I did this on more than one occaision.
I feel for this guy and his family.

Deref 10:11 am 24 Oct 11

DUB 10:02 am 24 Oct 11

dungfungus said :

snoop848 said :

Maybe planking is back

A bit of a tasteless comment snoop848.
This lad was to celebrate his birthday next week – there are a lot of his friends grieving tonight. I hope his family don’t see your comment. Whatever happened, a young life was lost tragically. Have some respect.

I don’t want to start a fight, but snoop848 ,IMO, made innocent, harmless comment.
Is Canberra starting to lose sense of humour?Or is it just bad monday for some? 🙂

Chop71 9:48 am 24 Oct 11

I used to love going to ANU Octoberfest in my pre-Chop days. I was always way too pissed to even walk to the lake, let alone have a swim in it.

Stevian 8:11 am 24 Oct 11

seriden said :

dungfungus said :

snoop848 said :

Maybe planking is back

A bit of a tasteless comment snoop848.

well said snoop. he is so much more than just a ‘body in the lake’, he was brilliant.

Just to straighten this out.

Snoop is the insensitive moron. Dungfungus is the humanizing influence

steveu 7:07 am 24 Oct 11

Exception said :

Waiting For Godot said :

Regardless of the reason/s behind this occurring (whether alcohol related or not), it would do people some good to refrain from jumping to unsubstantiated conclusions.

Canberra is a small place. I would suggest showing some respect and not making this any harder for the many people who have been affected today.

Condolences to his family and friends- he will be missed.

silvernitrate 2:57 am 24 Oct 11

i always see odd things when i go for runs around that lake. one time there was a trail of tissues/white paper leading to a place where there was baby/something clothing hanging on the rail and the other day there was a lone running shoe on the edge of the lake in the water….

seriden 11:22 pm 23 Oct 11

dungfungus said :

snoop848 said :

Maybe planking is back

A bit of a tasteless comment snoop848.