Borders gone!

johnboy 2 June 2011 69
Borders

Liquidators Ferrier Hodgson have announced they haven’t been able to find a buyer for Borders and so the remaining bookstores, including the ones in Canberra, will close.

A total of 315 staff will be affected by the closures, which will take place over the next six to eight weeks.

The final Borders stores will close on July 17, but others may close sooner dependent on the sellthrough of remaining stock.

The Administrator, Mr John Melluish, said the stores are closing because no buyers had emerged for the Borders outlets.

As a lover of books it always seemed that while Borders (and Angus and Robertson for that matter) might have had a lot of books, but they didn’t do a great job of pointing the reader to the best books.

69 Responses to Borders gone!
1 2 3 4 Next »
Mysteryman Mysteryman 3:06 pm 02 Jun 11

I love hearing the “death of print” predictions.

I buy more books now that I ever have. The internet has allowed me to source a greater variety of hard copy books than I ever could have 10 years ago. The same can be said for all my friends who are readers. Design, photography and architecture books are what I usually buy, and you can’t view them on an e-reader because of the large photographic content.

I think it will be a long time before anything is created that can replace the enjoyment of holding a book in your hands. For me, at least.

Ryoma Ryoma 2:52 pm 02 Jun 11

I am in two minds about this.

Next week I will move house together with Mrs. Ryoma, and we will (finally – yay!) have more space, in which to take things out of boxes, including books. But the new rental we’re moving too is not so much bigger I could buy a heap of new books, even if I had the desire or the cash. So, I’m likely to invest in a Kindle or the like at some time in future.

But part of me is quite sad. I found Borders to be one of the few bookstores in Canberra with what I consider to be the right attitude towards its customers; let them browse, especially when it’s cold and wet, and when they do buy a book, it will be from the store they appreciate. Unfortunately, even though I’d spend roughly $200/year on books, that’s not enough overall….

And a wider implication has just occured to me as well. If printed books get rarer, especially ones around politics or history, then they may get more valuable for more than just their scarcity value.

In a world full of spin, and where websites can change in a matter of hours, a book may come to be seen as something which is like a photograph; something which captures a certain perspective at a point in history. Even if that perspective later looks backwards or wrong; at least it will be percieved as honest, as it’s harder to doctor a book than it is to doctor a website…

Jim Jones Jim Jones 2:44 pm 02 Jun 11

johnboy said :

The printed book won’t die any more than the illuminated manuscript died.

But it will become irrelevant to future publishing.

Already happening.

Horses didn’t ‘die’ when the automobile was introduced, nor did vinyl disappear with the advent of tapes, CD, mp3, etc, but their central place was certainly disturbed.

Erg0 Erg0 2:43 pm 02 Jun 11

dungfungus said :

The town centre shopping malls are starting to look like a row of rotten teeth. Vast areas of the Hyperdome (including the newsagent) have disappeared, the fruit shop at Erindale has closed again and there literally streets of vacant shops all over Canberra not to mention the failed Brand Depot and the eternally half empty DFO. I hope all you smart-arsed Amazon shoppers are happy and are confident you will be able to get your kids and “on-line” job when they leave school. If things are this bad in Canberra imagine how bad it is in the rest of Australia. You won’t read about in the CT that’s for sure. I could add more but most Canberra people are so self-centered they wouldn’t care. I hope all their superannuation is vested in the share market.

You could argue that Borders and the newsagent have been affected by online shopping, but how would that make a fruit shop going out of business? Brand Depot went under for a whole different set of reasons, and DFO is just too big for the market. Had it occured to you that perhaps Canberra is just oversupplied with retail space relative to the population?

Jim Jones Jim Jones 2:41 pm 02 Jun 11

Stevian said :

johnboy said :

Any business based on selling hard copy media is doomed.

What will be left will be selling the object, not the information within.

But that’s OK, because the opportunity is there to sell lovely cases for our kindles.

The death of the book has been predicted for years. Still no sign of that happening.

johnboy johnboy 2:41 pm 02 Jun 11

The printed book won’t die any more than the illuminated manuscript died.

But it will become irrelevant to future publishing.

Stevian Stevian 2:40 pm 02 Jun 11

johnboy said :

Any business based on selling hard copy media is doomed.

What will be left will be selling the object, not the information within.

johnboy johnboy 2:31 pm 02 Jun 11

Any business based on selling hard copy media is doomed.

What will be left will be selling the object, not the information within.

dungfungus dungfungus 2:27 pm 02 Jun 11

Cabin12 Cabin12 2:22 pm 02 Jun 11

Whilst there are undoubtedly better bookstores here in Canberra, Borders did definitely have their place in the greater scheme of things. I had a couple of surprise finds there over the years, with books turning up at Borders that one really would have expected to have been stocked by places like Paperchain or the NLA shop. Borders, you will be missed!

damien haas damien haas 2:02 pm 02 Jun 11

staminaman62 said :

Good riddance. I once fronted up to buy a book (hardcopy $60). When I had the temerity to ask for a bag they tried to charge me an extra 20 cents (it was a hot day and I didn’t want to get my sweaty hands all over my nice new expensive book). As I didn’t have any change they refused to give me a bag for free, even though I had just spent $60.

A short time later I decided to return the book and told the staff member why. He couldn’t give a stuff. I went to another bookstore and purchased the same book for about $15 cheaper (and free bag).

If a store has such a stupid policy and treats its customers with such contempt, it deserves to close.

Exactly the same reason i wont shop there, or at Target which have the same policy.

Mysteryman Mysteryman 1:54 pm 02 Jun 11

staminaman62 said :

Refusing to give you something for free is your idea of treating you with contempt? Geez… shopping must be a frustrating ordeal for you.

Stevian Stevian 1:52 pm 02 Jun 11

kezzafezza said :

I’ve got my books online for awhile now. A book I recently purchased was over $40 at Borders, and I got it from Amazon for only $13.
I’d love it if someone could post here if they notice Borders are having a massive closing sale. Last week Angus and Robertson in Woden were selling all their books in store on their final day for a gold coin each. I wish I had of known! A friend of mine got about 80 brand new books for $80.

Even at sale prices Amazon works out cheaper.

BimboGeek BimboGeek 1:45 pm 02 Jun 11

It must be pretty s*** being a sales person in such a situation, having charged $60 for a book and having no discretion to offer a bag for free. I probably wouldn’t be surprised if the person returned it either.

Daspuck Daspuck 1:42 pm 02 Jun 11

staminaman62 said :

A lot of places have the policy to not give plastic bags without charging for them first. It’s to discourage the use of..well plastic bags. I’m sure it wasn’t personal:) As for the guy not giving a stuff at why you asked for a refund.. at least you got a refund?

staminaman62 staminaman62 1:29 pm 02 Jun 11

creative_canberran creative_canberran 1:11 pm 02 Jun 11

Good riddance I say. The place was poorly managed and the staff never knew what they were doing. Their overseas magazines were double the price you can get them at a local newsagent who assumedly has less buying power. So when they didn’t sell well, their solution was to halve the range and put up signs telling people not to look at them… nice. But above all the staff were useless. More than once I asked them to check for a book, they didn’t know how to. So I just told them to step aside and used their computer.

Mysteryman Mysteryman 1:01 pm 02 Jun 11

I really liked being able to hang out there, check out books, grab a drink. I spent quite a bit of money there, too. I’ll be sad to see them go.

kezzafezza kezzafezza 12:44 pm 02 Jun 11

The Frots The Frots 12:29 pm 02 Jun 11

Sad……………………….I feel really sorry for the staff there.

Hopefully, while those Liquidators are in the mood for closing things, they could swing past the ACT Chambers on their way back to Sydney……………………………………? Hmmmm…………………?

1 2 3 4 Next »