Bus travel a right or priviledge? [With poll]

creative_canberran 9 March 2012 74

The ABC reports today that an ACTION bus driver kicked 15 students from Telopea Park School off a bus.

Apparently he was not pleased with their behaviour, though there is no indication of whether the behaviour was criminal or dangerous to the driver or other passengers.

It seems that in survey after survey in Australia’s capital cities, anti-social behaviour by some passengers is a chief complaint among public transport users.

So is bus travel for students really a right that can’t be negated by their behaviour?

Shouldn’t the safety and enjoyment of fellow passengers be paramount?

Was the driver wrong, or was he just teaching them an important lesson?

Kicking school kids off buses

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

74 Responses to Bus travel a right or priviledge? [With poll]
Grumpy Old Fart Grumpy Old Fart 1:55 pm 10 Mar 12

The Bus driver was simply following Regulation 36 of the new Work Health Safety Regulations 2011. When a workplace hazard is identified the hierarchy of control is applied to either eliminate the hazard or minimize the risk.

Step 1 Eliminate the hazard – got the distracting naughty children of the bus who were compromising the safety of the others on the bus and the road users.

Merle Merle 1:48 pm 10 Mar 12

Bus travel: a right or a privilege? vs. Not having your primary school child left on the side of the road: a right or a privilege?

ML-585 ML-585 1:40 pm 10 Mar 12

Extract of “Customer Service Charter” from the ACTION Website:

ACTION asks all customers to consider the comfort of fellow passengers and in particular you are requested to:

keep your feet off the seats
not allow your baggage to obstruct aisles or exit doors
keep buses clean by not littering
refrain from eating or drinking on the bus (unless required for medical reasons)
not smoke on the bus
vacate your seat for the elderly, disabled or pregnant and allow them to travel in the priority areas set aside for them.

All customers are asked to assist ACTION by:

utilising the MyWay ticketing system where possible and having your MyWay Card ready upon boarding the bus
using your MyWay card correctly by tagging on and off each bus
when travelling on a concession fare, carrying a current concession card and presenting it when boarding the bus
refraining from speaking to and distracting the driver while the bus is in motion
treating fellow passengers and ACTION staff in a polite and courteous manner
pressing the stop button in a timely manner, before reaching the stop you wish to depart at.

How often do school kids comply with any of the above (other than the no smoking one)?

And bus drivers do have to right to “evict” passengers from the bus – if a driver believes on reasonable grounds that a person is committing, or has just committed, an offence against part 3.3 or part 3.2 of the Road Transport (Public Passenger Services) Regulation 2002, the driver can direct the person to get off the bus. (Failure to comply with the direction is a further offence.) But, as Bussie said, ACTION policy is not to do so on school services.

Stevian Stevian 1:33 pm 10 Mar 12

James_Ryan said :

Two words:

Daniel Morcombe.

Still think kicking kids off school buses is a good idea?

Absolutely. Can you guarantee that the little scrotes will get that kind of treatment?

GardeningGirl GardeningGirl 1:16 pm 10 Mar 12

I can’t remember exactly how long it took me but I decided I’d rather do the long walk to and from school than ever get on a school bus again. More recently I’ve known a couple of parents who made certain choices just to avoid their kids having to go through the Woden interchange, what is it about the Woden interchange? I agree with fabforty. I didn’t know ACTION does a door to door service, what happens to the kids when they get off their stop, they still have to walk some distance don’t they? Doesn’t Telopea have after school care for the little kids? Probably returning to the school would’ve been better but hindsight is great, perhaps the driver just thought after a good scare the kids will all get back on and behave properly for the rest of the journey. I suppose in this day and age Duffbowl’s driver who locked the kids in the bus would be charged with kidnapping. I really think consideration for the little moppets has gone too far lately and it’s not really doing them or society any good learning they can do anything they feel like and will always be excused.

fabforty fabforty 9:50 am 10 Mar 12

I can’t include quotes in my respose today for some reason.

Not sure about James Ryan’s comments about Daniel Morcombe. Daniel was not kicked off a bus. His bus didn’t pick him up because it was overcrowded and another was due in 10 minutes. And he was alone – not with a busload of other children. It was tragic, but lets get the facts straight.

While I agree the best reponse would have been for the driver to just return the kids to school, the driver in the Telopea incident came back to collect the children a few minutes later. They chose not to get back on the bus.

Anyway, why are kindergarten kids travelling alone ? Even on a school bus I think that is pretty bad.

c_c c_c 3:20 am 10 Mar 12

Erg0 said :

In my school days, there was one bus driver who was notorious for his lack of patience with unruly students. He didn’t just kick kids off for bad behaviour, he drove the bus back to the school and [i]then[/i] kicked everyone off and drove back to the depot for a cuppa (I assume). The nearest proper bus stop was a 15 minute walk away, and everyone got home an hour or more late as a result.

Of course, after a couple such incidents the kids became self-policing, shushing those who spoke too loudly, and savagely beating those who threw balled-up paper across the aisle. You’ll never see a better-behaved group of 50-odd teens in your life.

There’s probably a lesson in that somewhere.

Very nicely done.

I may have missed a reference to it in the comments, but what ever happened to “conductors” or whatever their latter day equivalents are?
Occasionally, you do see an additional ACTION staffer on a bus or milling around the interchange just outside a bus before it leaves, normally wearing a hi-viz vest. I think I even saw one vest with the title “Conductor” on it.
If the school buses are bad, is there a need for a supervisor given the driver’s first task is driving rather than crown control?

James_Ryan James_Ryan 2:01 am 10 Mar 12

Two words:

Daniel Morcombe.

Still think kicking kids off school buses is a good idea?

Bussie Bussie 10:51 pm 09 Mar 12

ACTION policy is that no school kids can be kicked off a bus or refused entry to a bus. Kids can be banned from the bus but that decision is made by people higher up the hierarchy than the driver.

In my experience when doing a different shift every week the kids sometimes treat you like relief teachers get treated. I’ve had a firecracker set off on the bus (St Francis Xavier), the fire extinguisher emptied (Marist), a full on fist fight (Melba High) as well the usual ringing the bell and not getting off. Conversely when I’ve owned a shift (ie done it for a long time) I’ve always got on pretty well with the school kids and had no serious disciplinary problems.

IhateWHINGERS IhateWHINGERS 10:31 pm 09 Mar 12

I am an Action Driver, Every day without fail my wife hears about the downright unpleasentness of either the poor driving I wittness or rude obnixious or disturbing behaviour I see. I have been threatened to be stabbed because I would not “lend” a junkie a smoke, I get abused for abiding by the road laws in particular giving way to buses pulling out from stops, or lane sharing when turning. and i get yelled at because I am responsible for the bus before me not running (i dont even know what time that would be)
Kids have it far to easy and some need a kick up the backside to pull them into line, I do not condone leaving littleuns on the side of the road, and would not do that myself but people understand there is only so much you can see in the mirrors. If i see who did it they suffer but remember when were are looking in the mirror we are not looking at the road. if they dont tell me whodunit then they all pay, leasons learned as a group work too!
Drivers have no protection from attack verbally or physically and it is downright scary sometimes doing what we do. Parents control your kids if not they walk, simple. at the end of the day every person has a responsibility to act in accordance with the law, being under 16 doesn’t and shouldn’t give you cate’ blanch to act like a tool.
I for one in this type of instance will wait untill the person owns up and appologises to the other passangers, I have been know to sit at a bus stop for 15mins.
Bus travel is a privelige, consider that I pay for a coffee at mcdonalds then I tip half of it on the lad behind the counter, I loose my privelige to be there. why is agression or bad behavior toward a driver or other passanger on a bus considered to be different.

Watson Watson 8:50 pm 09 Mar 12

E_M said :

I was on the said bus. The ABC report has false information. The driver had kicked everyone out of the bus. This includes children from kindergarten to year 2. These children were crying the older children comforted them and offered to walk them home.. I do admit that the verbal abuse the driver recieved was too much. In the end, only 5-10 children got back on the bus. I do not understand why everyone, especially the primary children, had to suffer due to the behaviour of a select few. In my opinion the bus driver overreacted considering the situation. Perhaps the worst that came out if this is the negative image of the school and the obvious trauma some of the students faced.

Oh wow, that makes it a whole different story. I would’ve supported the driver’s actions if he would’ve kicked the trouble makers only off, but that is quite appalling.

Mind you, I bet those kindy kids will never misbehave on a bus when they’re older. But if that was my 6yo being made to think they would be left by the side of the road when they had not done anything wrong, I’d be fuming.

Bramina Bramina 8:25 pm 09 Mar 12

At my high school, people used to call the school complaining about poor behaviour on busses. The principle used to make a big deal of it and a lot of the time he would find the culprits.

We were generally well behaved, but the trips were long. Lots of bored kids cooped up in a bus for an hour twice a day was a sure path to mucking up.

E_M E_M 8:23 pm 09 Mar 12

ImagineThat ImagineThat 8:19 pm 09 Mar 12

My opinion is bus drivers and their passengers have the right to feel safe. Drivers need to have some recourse to deal with aggressive passengers. In some cases removing offender/s from the bus will be appropriate, in other circumstances it won’t be. Consideration would have to be given to the safety of anyone put off the bus. Surely drivers have radio links with the depot and could seek guidance from a supervisory position. If necessary the little mini bus could come out, meet the bus and hold a kangaroo court, or the driver could hold a vote amongst the passengers and go with the majority.
Additionally the Action website would need to have clear expectations about passenger behaviour and the penalty for not meeting this expectation. I could not find anything on their website relating to this, but it could be there, however if I missed it despite searching for it, then it needs to be more obvious.

Perhaps Action should conduct some public consultation to determine what Joe Average believes is appropriate for future miscreants.

Duffbowl Duffbowl 8:19 pm 09 Mar 12

astrojax said :

there’s no ‘d’ in privilege…

without being privvy to the details

And only one ‘v’ in privy.

Having been a ratbag high school student on a bus, whose “pranks” sometimes extended beyond those mentioned above, I was kicked off of more than one school bus. The difference being I generally copped to my behaviour and any punishment that followed. That included one time having to explain to a group of parents why our rural bus was late when the driver decided to stop for 30 minutes, got off the bus with the keys and locked us in. The older kids on the bus did not look upon me with any kindness following that incident.

Suck it up, own up to it, take your punishment (unless it’s one of Brother Michael’s “special beatings”) and get on with it.

AnimosiTy AnimosiTy 7:56 pm 09 Mar 12

we are born with LEGS! if you can’t act civil you have the right to get off your lazy ass and use them!
respect the other people and their RIGHT to act like a civil human and grow up!!
take a WALK!

Bud White Bud White 7:35 pm 09 Mar 12

Well if ya can’t kick em out of a public school why should you be able to kick em off a public bus? I mean don’t bus drivers have a duty of care too?

Personally, it’d be nice if we did kick em out of schools and buses if they’re dangerous or overly disruptive, then perhaps the kids and their parents might appreciate what they got.

farnarkler farnarkler 7:25 pm 09 Mar 12

191 voters; 3 votes for Is a terrible thing. I’d live to hear from them and why they think a bus driver should have to put up with sh*t from school children.

farnarkler farnarkler 7:13 pm 09 Mar 12

Awwww poor little darlings. In the mid 1980’s our ACTION bus driver who was contracted to the afternoon run for Daramalan kicked us all off because we were being right little sh*ts. We deserved what we got.

Considering the duties of being an ACTION bus driver include ensuring safe and comfortable carriage of members of the public, bus drivers have every right to boot unruly school children.

TheDancingDjinn TheDancingDjinn 6:39 pm 09 Mar 12

Chop71 said :

TheDancingDjinn said :

I don’t like seeing their buttcheeks and ball sacks.

ssshhhh, it’s ok. We know you liked it. 🙂

I admitt i did laugh – i wasn’t shocked and offended, but embaressed for them and saddend for their tiny hairless sacks pressed against the glass 😛 – seriously i think if one of them had slipped and fallen while doing that to me, i think i would have had an accident just from laughing so hard. As it was i had to regain myself when i laughed at them.

Region Group Pty Ltd