Bus travel a right or priviledge? [With poll]

creative_canberran 9 March 2012 74

The ABC reports today that an ACTION bus driver kicked 15 students from Telopea Park School off a bus.

Apparently he was not pleased with their behaviour, though there is no indication of whether the behaviour was criminal or dangerous to the driver or other passengers.

It seems that in survey after survey in Australia’s capital cities, anti-social behaviour by some passengers is a chief complaint among public transport users.

So is bus travel for students really a right that can’t be negated by their behaviour?

Shouldn’t the safety and enjoyment of fellow passengers be paramount?

Was the driver wrong, or was he just teaching them an important lesson?

Kicking school kids off buses

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

74 Responses to Bus travel a right or priviledge? [With poll]
Brianna Brianna 7:06 pm 11 Mar 12

James_Ryan said :

Two words:

Daniel Morcombe.

Still think kicking kids off school buses is a good idea?

That gave me shivers. It’s not okay to abuse the driver but it’s also not okay to kick the kids off the bus. A previous comment stated that the driver took them back to the school. I think that may be the best move. The kids have to explain why it happened, the driver has not ‘abandoned’ them, the kids are safe and the driver is safe. It will certainly make the little toe rags think twice about their behaviour.

Watson Watson 6:14 pm 11 Mar 12

fabforty said :

milkman said :

aceofspades said :

If a bus driver threw my crying 6yo off a bus I would hunt him down a belt the absolute crap out of him.

As would I.

If you let your six year old travel on the bus alone, I think it is both of you who need a belting.

Cue for the helicopter parents…

fabforty fabforty 4:54 pm 11 Mar 12

milkman said :

aceofspades said :

As would I.

iGonePostal iGonePostal 2:03 pm 11 Mar 12

I am used to traveling on the same bus as Telopea kids, and I can assure you that they more than likely deserved it.

milkman milkman 1:36 pm 11 Mar 12

aceofspades said :

As would I.

Stevian Stevian 12:06 pm 11 Mar 12

TheDancingDjinn said :

damien haas said :

Having caught the bus from Gungahlin to Belconnen on one of the magical mystery routes as the bus tours through Nicholls and Evatt, i have seen children of primary school age board the bus, pay, behave and exit the bus – shock horror – on their own!

The fact that society infantilises children, when they should encourage independence and resilience is sad. I could count on one hand the number of times i was driven to school.

ok – whatever. We actually should be making our kids stay kids longer.

That’s actually the sexualization of children which is a totally different problem.

Stevian Stevian 12:04 pm 11 Mar 12

damien haas said :

I tag off with my myway card at a stop *before* i arrive at my stop. You just have to make sure you sit or stand near the scanner at the middle of the bus. Bus stops, whip your card out and tag off. That way i can collect all my bags of shopping, corral my twelve children and unfold my pram – without having to pause on the way out the door to hear a satisfying beep.

I do have sleepless nights worrying about the number crunchers in TAMS puzzling over their stats though.

So many factual errors in that. Ride a bus sometime to achieve a minimal level of verisimilitude.

aceofspades aceofspades 12:02 pm 11 Mar 12

TheDancingDjinn TheDancingDjinn 11:14 am 11 Mar 12

Darkfalz said :

Just one other thing, maybe not the thread for it but I must say I hate the tagging off of the new MyWay system. Bus drivers seem to have a fairly regular habit of just coasting past my stop if I don’t actually get up and start towards the front of the bus when it gets close. Trying to move while the bus in motion is hard enough, but having things in your hands and your bloody MyWay card in the other because you have to scan it to get off makes it way harder. As a result I’ve stubbed my toes a couple of times and slipped over quite badly on one occasion. I wish I could trust the drivers to stop when I’ve pressed the button without having to risk my footing with hands full on a moving bus.

I watched this kind of thing happen many years ago- way before thismyway stuff. It was an old man, the bus driver didn’t slow for him to walk the isle to get to the door – he fell, the blood was everywhere coming from his hands and knees and shoulder and partly on his head where he had smashed himslef against that metal basket that holds the bags. The bus driver didn’t even get out of his seat to help him. The old man just got out and hobbled hime, i would have to i would have been very angy and very embaressed.

TheDancingDjinn TheDancingDjinn 11:02 am 11 Mar 12

damien haas said :

Society makes kids eternal infants? LOL – tell that the freaks selling g strings to girls that are 7-10 yrs old and push up bras too ok – whatever. We actually should be making our kids stay kids longer.

damien haas damien haas 9:37 am 11 Mar 12

Darkfalz Darkfalz 12:43 am 11 Mar 12

Darkfalz Darkfalz 12:28 am 11 Mar 12

astrojax said :

i was on a bus earlier this week when the driver, at a bus stop, got out of his seat andf walked to the rear of the bus and demanded a passenger up the back cease consuming a beverage

I frequently board the bus with my lidded reusable plastic coffee cup, and sip it quietly on the way to work. Driver has never complained. But I am always friendly and sit near to the front as possible.

Groups of kids on the bus, especially young males can be a major pain in the arse. Lone bogans don’t generally cause too many problems (apart from the smell), it’s groups. Once some drunk sack of shit threw up near the back of the bus, and the dickhead males kept saying to oncoming passengers “There’s a place for you to sit”. Absolute punks. I remember the driver stopped the bus at one point, don’t remember exactly what he did. He may have ordered two of the punks to give up their seats for new passengers, and to go sit near the vomit.

HenryBG HenryBG 10:18 pm 10 Mar 12

IhateWHINGERS said :

I am an Action Driver, Every day without fail my wife hears about the downright unpleasentness of either the poor driving I wittness or rude obnixious or disturbing behaviour I see. I have been threatened to be stabbed because I would not “lend” a junkie a smoke, I get abused for abiding by the road laws in particular giving way to buses pulling out from stops, or lane sharing when turning. and i get yelled at because I am responsible for the bus before me not running (i dont even know what time that would be)
Kids have it far to easy and some need a kick up the backside to pull them into line, I do not condone leaving littleuns on the side of the road, and would not do that myself but people understand there is only so much you can see in the mirrors. If i see who did it they suffer but remember when were are looking in the mirror we are not looking at the road. if they dont tell me whodunit then they all pay, leasons learned as a group work too!
Drivers have no protection from attack verbally or physically and it is downright scary sometimes doing what we do. Parents control your kids if not they walk, simple. at the end of the day every person has a responsibility to act in accordance with the law, being under 16 doesn’t and shouldn’t give you cate’ blanch to act like a tool.
I for one in this type of instance will wait untill the person owns up and appologises to the other passangers, I have been know to sit at a bus stop for 15mins.
Bus travel is a privelige, consider that I pay for a coffee at mcdonalds then I tip half of it on the lad behind the counter, I loose my privelige to be there. why is agression or bad behavior toward a driver or other passanger on a bus considered to be different.

Good on you.

Watson Watson 8:27 pm 10 Mar 12

damien haas said :

Hear, hear.

Though I still don’t agree with kicking kindy kids off the bus. Not because I think they are unsafe on their own on the streets, but because they hadn’t been prepared at all for that kind of self-reliance. Still, bit hard to get an idea of what actually happened on that bus.

damien haas damien haas 5:00 pm 10 Mar 12

Wily_Bear Wily_Bear 3:40 pm 10 Mar 12

Although I am reluctant to weigh in on this debate without knowing the circumstances, it would appear that the children were offered the opportunity to re-board the bus, therefore it was their own choice to be left on the side of the road. I very much doubt many 6 year olds would have refused, unless encouraged by older peers. I would guess those who refused were planning to cry foul to their parents, knowing they’d fly to the defence of their little princes and princesses.

That this tactic clearly worked, leaves me gobsmacked. If it were one of mine, they’d have been ‘encouraged’ to write an apology to the driver, in addition to being made to walk (at least a fair distance) for a week to highlight their good fortune to be able to catch a bus at all.

dundle dundle 3:35 pm 10 Mar 12

I think it’s completely understandable, kids on buses can be awful. Having had experience with Telopea kids I can completely understand the driver’s behaviour. There’s only so much you can put up with.

Not sure on duty of care. It’s dangerous to leave minors in the middle of nowhere – not all will have phones etc. But do drivers even have a duty of care (beyond the normal one of driver and passenger) when the passenger is a child? I doubt it.

TheDancingDjinn TheDancingDjinn 3:30 pm 10 Mar 12

Stevian said :

James_Ryan said :

Two words:

Daniel Morcombe.

Still think kicking kids off school buses is a good idea?

Absolutely. Can you guarantee that the little scrotes will get that kind of treatment?

Im sorry, usually i find you funny – but wishing what happened to Daniel Morcombe on kids because they are naughty is not a good thing to say or even think or type. Dude not cool, what Daniel Morcombe would have suffered i wish on no one.

And bring the Daniel Morcombe case in here is way of track – for one this is Canberra, and while i agree there would be people here who want to hurt kids – we live in a rather small place – i have met alot of you in real life funnily enough, it’s alot different here than it is in QLD.
Secondly as someone has already informed you – Daniel was not kicked off a bus, but rather waiting for one and he was alone.

Stevian Stevian 2:33 pm 10 Mar 12

Merle said :

Bus travel: a right or a privilege? vs. Not having your primary school child left on the side of the road: a right or a privilege?

A privilege, if you choose to raise scrotes, take some responsibility for once in your life

Region Group Pty Ltd