And now the end is near … MyWay to make way for new transport ticketing system

Ian Bushnell 18 February 2020 100

Light rail passengers tap off with their MyWay cards at Alinga Street in the city. Photos: Ian Bushnell

A new ticketing system is on the way for Canberra’s public transport network, promising passengers a variety of flexible payment methods and an app providing improved real-time travel information.

Transport Minister Chris Steel said Transport Canberra had begun a procurement process for the new system which will replace the outdated MyWay ticketing and NXTBUS real-time information systems.

NXTBUS, in particular, has been the source of many complaints from bus passengers about its reliability.

Mr Steel said transport users would be able to pay for their bus or light rail fare using their credit card to tap on and off, as well as other flexible payment options such as a phone, smart device, travel card and other options.

This would also make it easier for visitors to Canberra to use public transport without needing to buy and load money onto a MyWay card.

“Currently travellers need to purchase and top-up a MyWay card where the money is stored on the card itself rather than an account linked to the person, which is not flexible and causes problems like lost cards,” Mr Steel said.

“We want to make it as easy as possible for people to take a ride on Canberra’s public transport system and a good ticketing system is really important to improve the transit experience,” Mr Steel said.

“Many Canberrans have been to other cities around the world where it is much easier to use public transport than it is here because of modern ticketing systems.”

Transport Minister Chris Steel explains how the new system will work.

Mr Steel said children and students would still be able to use a travel card but it would be linked to a central account.

“It will provide parents and students with extra flexibility,” Mr Steel said. “An account based system will enable parents to manage multiple different cards for their children and make it easier to travel every day.”

Mr Steel the new system would provide more functions and flexibility than the NSW account-based Opal card.

Public transport users will also benefit from a range of high-tech features aimed at making it easy to plan, pay for and take public transport.

A new app will include reliable real-time travel information and updates with GPS data allowing travellers to check details of their connecting services.

“We’ve heard from public transport users that they want better real-time information to inform their travel plans. These capabilities will improve the way people travel around our city,” Mr Steel said.

He said the single system would not only provide the front end – ticketing services and real time information for customers and journey planning – but also the back-end support for public transport planners and operations, with much more data available than through the MyWay system.

“It will provide better real-time information based on GPS on buses and light rail vehicles so people can have updates about when services are not running, a change to the schedule, better information as soon as possible, rather than the current system which only provides information up to 90 minutes before the travel occurs,” he said.

The cost of the new system would be released once the procurement is finalised.

Mr Steel said there would a be long development and transition period, with the new system likely to be rolled out next year or possibly even 2022.

100 Responses to And now the end is near … MyWay to make way for new transport ticketing system
Chris Ford Chris Ford 1:36 am 13 Feb 20

London got rid of their Oyster cards years ago in favour of just tapping your credit/debit card and it is the best. Do it Canberra!

William William William William 12:26 am 13 Feb 20

And more cost for seniors to have a new card if they change the system, not the card itself.

Louise Wright Louise Wright 12:02 am 13 Feb 20

Public transport should be free in Canberra. Why sink so much into a new ticketing system? Just think of the potential knock on savings from free public transport.

William William William William 12:29 am 13 Feb 20

Louise Wright over 60,s should be free all time not timed?

George Worsfold George Worsfold 11:22 pm 12 Feb 20

MyWay card is still the best. Why does everything have to be on an app or credit/debit card? I have seen people get flustered when scanning their MyWay card via a mobile phone when they board a bus, not a good idea. Creates delays for the driver to fix and fellow passengers wanting to get where they need to be.

William William William William 12:28 am 13 Feb 20

George Worsfold tryed it wont work on my mobile ?

Alistair Nitz Alistair Nitz 11:10 pm 12 Feb 20

You can smell an election in the air given the promotion of something that may not come into effect until 2022.

Cahla Dean Cahla Dean 11:01 pm 12 Feb 20

I have zero issues with MyWay. I’d be happy to keep using it....

Katia Prosperi Katia Prosperi 9:55 pm 12 Feb 20

What we were talking about today Jack Horton

Jack Horton Jack Horton 10:01 pm 12 Feb 20

Katia Prosperi legit we were just talking about this today

Cassie Murphy Cassie Murphy 9:35 pm 12 Feb 20

Daniella Hunt finally we can catch the tram!! Must of heard our 100 convo’s! Just need to make the city run free now 🤣

Daniella Hunt Daniella Hunt 9:38 pm 12 Feb 20

Cassie Murphy hahahahaha what a dream! Trams > meetings = yewwwww

James Maybury James Maybury 8:20 pm 12 Feb 20

They did this in the UK and from what I've heard its a terrible system. Go Australia! Lets not learn from the mistakes of others :)

Julie Macklin Julie Macklin 11:24 pm 15 Feb 20

I can only mention my experience of actually using it myself. It was great and I had no problems using my credit card. Very convenient. Only thing is I don't know how seniors get on, but at the time I wasn't a senior and didn't need to ask about that. But I guess there is a way.

Yowie Tong Yowie Tong 7:49 pm 12 Feb 20

Flo Tran bus life forever

Julie Ford Julie Ford 7:34 pm 12 Feb 20

I hope they’ll credit everyone for the cost of the cards if they’re no longer available to be used

Maree Silling Maree Silling 8:59 pm 12 Feb 20

Julie Ford this doesn't replace MyWay cards, they are adding the option to pay with credit/debit cards if you don't have a MyWay card or prefer not to use MyWay

Julie Ford Julie Ford 8:59 pm 12 Feb 20

Maree Silling well that’s super. Wondering how my 8 year old would qualify for a Visa card 😂

Maree Silling Maree Silling 9:02 pm 12 Feb 20

Yes, article references a "travel card" so MyWay cards might be rebranded as something else but still the travel card option.

Corey Luke Bradley Carson Corey Luke Bradley Carson 7:16 pm 12 Feb 20

Michaela Wholohan this is what we seen this morning, trying to find a video to see if you can hear me hahaha

Gai Atherden Gai Atherden 7:11 pm 12 Feb 20

I use app NextThere for my bus etc timetables. I is compatible when I am interstate for trams, trains and buses I just change my location. Only available for iPhones not android phones.

I have my MyWay card set for auto debit so it always has $ on it and gives me cheaper fares.

Just don’t get me started on the current bus routes & timetables..and as for the upcoming changes in April - the way I understand it - it will be worse.. but it’s ok they “listened to us and Community groups”. Yeah when and who because our complaints seem to get ignored..

Liselle Pullen Liselle Pullen 7:07 pm 12 Feb 20

Hope it works better than the "improved" bus timetables.

Jacqui Brown Jacqui Brown 6:23 pm 12 Feb 20

How will it affect pensioner concession card?

Erin Mulgrue Erin Mulgrue 6:59 pm 12 Feb 20

Jacqui Brown this was discussed on the radio this/ yesterday? morning. We will have to continue to use our Myway cards, using debit/credit cards means we will ve charged.

Shaun Lonergan Shaun Lonergan 5:57 pm 12 Feb 20

Will they link in with sydney?

Boweavil Kat Boweavil Kat 5:36 pm 12 Feb 20

About time. The Myway system was Archaic from the get go

Tha Onlyreal Jim Tha Onlyreal Jim 5:30 pm 12 Feb 20

Look if people are too stupid to work out the current system, they are too stupid for any other system. Money on card>tap on>tap off done. Classic case of if it isn't broke, break it.

Craig McIntosh Craig McIntosh 5:29 pm 12 Feb 20

Do I get my $5 back if my myway card is made obsolete? (What I had to pay just to have it originally )

Natalie Cooke Natalie Cooke 5:15 pm 12 Feb 20