News

Excellence in Public Sector consulting

Canberra Drivers. I mean,,,WTF !!!!

By Devil_n_Disquiz - 20 June 2008 59

I know this subject has been done to death on this forum many times so I guess once more won’t hurt. But honestly, what is it with Canberra drivers ??

Last night at around 1745 I drove from City to Chisholm. Trying to think of what would be the quickest way there I elected to cruise the Parkway, shoot across Sulwood and then cut through Gowrie then into Chisholm.

All was going well until I hit the area around the speed cameras near Cotter Road. Heres some friendly helpful advice from someone who is on the road 12 hours a day for work, 100kph zone means you can STILL drive at 100kph and not get caught by a camera. There is absolutely NO NEED to slow down to 80 or 90kph “just to be sure”. Rightly or wrongly I drive past those ones at 105kph and haven’t been photographed yet. They do have a tolerance slightly (as do they all in ACT) over the speed limit so slowing down is not necessary and just pisses off your fellow road users.

Then I get to Hindmarsh Dr overpass and the traffic has come to a screaming halt. Traffic backed up from Sulwood Dr lights to Hindmarsh Dr. Why ?? A simple rear ender down about 1k north of Sulwood lights. They were off to the side of the road, not hampering anyones progress and just having a casual chat with the local plod who had turned up.

Its a rear ender for goodness sakes. It happens everyday in Canberra somewhere and quite frankly its not worth having a good long geek at. Slowing right down to walking pace so you don’t have a nose to tail all of your own so you have have a good look at the damage and go “ooohhh ahhhh” FFS!, Just keep driving.

And while I am on my rant. Canberra drivers would do very well to check their rear lights now and again. I know its a case of out of sight out of mind, or ‘my front lights are working so every other light must be too’, get out and check them occasionally. I lose count of how many cars are bashing around Canberra every night with no rear lights.

Whinge over,,enjoy your ride home.

What’s Your opinion?

59 Responses to
Canberra Drivers. I mean,,,WTF !!!!
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
skaboy12 10:36 am 21 Jun 08

madman said :

While we’re on this subject…

I was riding to work today on my motorbike and I was trailing another cycle and what happened – some big ass ford moves into my lane absolutely parralel to me and nearlly killed me.

for christ sake – if your going to change lanes check your mirrors and do your damn headcheck. It’s not frcuking hard to turn your head a little to see other motorists. It will let you lose a couple of kilojules and save lives – that’s two pluses. And if your not willing to do your headcheck then discover the pluses of buses.

But yeh – you really need to be aware that alot of Canberra drivers are careless. Please pay more attention on the roads – You’ll do the country a favour.

Whinge Out!

Don’t worry it’s not just bikes they don’t see. I had a moron in a white VN Commodore try and merge into me on canberra avenue last night with no indicator. I hit the horn twice and he just came over faster. I hit my brakes but it still didn’t get me out of the way fast enough. my only option was to go up the median strip at 60kph. Needless to say my new wheels are all scraatched and after reporting it at Woden police they won’t do crap about, even with his number plate.

The worst part was that after i put half my car on the median strip and then got it back on the road without damaging the diff or drivetrain (not easy in a lowered AWD), this young guy leans out the drivers window and gives me the finger. If I see the bastard his life won’t be worth living.

astrojax 8:26 am 21 Jun 08

what i can’t fathom here is the seeming acceptance that a posted speed limit – note, limit (look it up) – must be the speed at which all traffic on the road must absolutely have to in all circumstances travel…

madman 2:41 am 21 Jun 08

While we’re on this subject…

Whinge Out!

Overheard 1:45 am 21 Jun 08

bd84 said :

I’ve actually had a decent run on the roads for almost a week until yesterday morning when I came across Casey Stoner on his motorcycle on the parkway, who was weaving in and out of traffic at high speed – over 110kph, used a merging lane and emergency lane to overtake about 4 cars on the left and sat behind cars and weaved across the lane whe he couldn’t get past. While i’m sure there will be people who think that’s acceptable “because motorbikes are agile”, I won’t be sad for this guy when someone knocks him off and kills him.

I’ll refrain from my own comments about Casey Stoner and his ilk on the roads, but I’ll just say, ‘Be careful what you wish for’.

A couple of years ago I was heading home (to Belco at the time) when I saw a motorcyclist came ducking and weaving and screaming up Barry Drive at a rate of knots. I cursed and probably mumbled my late father’s fave saying: ‘He’s running late for his own funeral’.

A couple of minutes later we rounded the base of Black Mountain and there was said motorcyclist sprawled across the road on the other side of a mangled centre guard rail, very much no longer a going concern.

Apologies if I told that story on a previous thread before; I’m getting deja vu.

Overheard 1:37 am 21 Jun 08

Lenient said :

I’ll see your “Canberra drivers whingeing about the reprehensible actions of ‘Canberra drivers'” and raise you “Riotacters complaining about the banality of posts”

Lenient, IF that was a crack at me, I’ve checked my post again and can’t see any reference to (or implication of) ‘banality of posts’.

Hold on a sec and I’ll check again.

No, still not there. Maybe you were thinking of someone else.

missjill 12:25 am 21 Jun 08

bighead said :

@missjill

I am a believer that cars need 2 types of horns. The first one needs to be a polite little toot that just lets someone know to do something. The second one needs to be a loud roar with a HURRY UP kind of sound.

Yes! I think it’s all in the wrist action. Just a light push of the steering wheel is all that’s needed. The art of horn tooting; now there’s a Facebook idea!

When I was young (circa 1985), I had a one of those musical horns.

Have they gone out of fashion? Is it now regarded as ‘daggy’ to have a musical horn on, say, your hotted up midnight blue WRX with red/green P-plates and a hefty bank loan 18% interest attached to it?

bighead 12:14 am 21 Jun 08

@missjill

Although, I can’t see the second one been needed in Canberra, Much better for Sydney with people that are slow on the light that stays green for all of about 6 seconds 😛

Gave someone a little toot earlier after they sat at the lights for 5 seconds not doing anything. And they straight away turned the corner. It works perfectly well in those situations.

missjill 11:44 pm 20 Jun 08

bighead said :

Sometimes… Facebook comes in handy. Basic rules for driving in Canberra.

12. It is traditional in Canberra to honk your horn at cars that don’t move the instant the light changes.

Today I was honked by an impatient twit.

I stopped at one of those “Turn Left Permitted on Red Light After Stopping” signs. I was stationery for no more than a second or two as I checked for traffic (the others had the green), and before I had a chance to turn left, the imbecile behind me gave me a blast with his pithy-sounding Audi horn.

Memories came flooding back, and this prompted me to move off in the same manner as my late and great 94 year old grandfather.

Tooters, gotta love ’em.

ant 10:50 pm 20 Jun 08

Devil_n_Disquiz said :

But a few people have touched on what I should have said that being the hassle is not those who just wanna tootle along at 85kph in a 100kph (which if it impedes the flow of traffic is a traffic offence)

Ha, that’s not an offence. Not any more it’s not. Driving from Qbn to Canberra on the airport road, it’s astonishing how many back hoes and animal trucks are trundling along during morning rush hour at 40 kms/hr…. It’s a 100 kms/hr zone!!!! It can be backed up into Qbn, the cars at the back never even know what caused the crawl. Offence, ha.

123qwe 10:39 pm 20 Jun 08

Is someone going to give bighead an even bigger one. Lot of effort there. I dips me lid.

Holden Caulfield 9:57 pm 20 Jun 08

ant said :

The original post was about, essentially, people going too slowly…

No. It was essentially about people unnecessarily impeding with the flow of traffic out of general incompetence and ignorance.

Two completely different things.

ant 9:35 pm 20 Jun 08

The original post was about, essentially, people going too slowly. Whenever I read such posts, I am sorry to say that I think “there’s another tailgater”.

bd84 8:40 pm 20 Jun 08

Half the problem is the people who slow down to 80kph 2kms before the cotter road turn off when there’s no need, but then again the traffic at that time is normally only moving about 90kph anyway. Everyone slows down before the cameras, you drive expecting that, one day people will learn that you don’t actually have to jam on the breaks to slow your car, taking your foot off the accelerator is enough.

bighead 8:18 pm 20 Jun 08

Sometimes… Facebook comes in handy.

Basic rules for driving in Canberra.

1. Indicators will give away your next move. A real Canberra driver never uses them.

2. Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, or somebody else will fill in that space, putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

3. Crossing two or more lanes in a single lane change is considered “going with the flow.”.

4. The faster you drive through a red light, the less chance you have of getting hit.

5. Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive repairs. The other guy doesn’t have anything to lose.

6. Braking is to be done as hard and as late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it’s a chance to stretch your legs.

7. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as suggestions and apparently not enforceable in the metro area during rush hour.

8. Please remember that there is no such thing as a shortcut during rush-hour traffic in Canberra.

9. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or evensomeone changing a tyre.

10. Everybody thinks their vehicle is better than yours, especially 4WD drivers.

11. Learn to swerve abruptly. Canberra is the home of High-Speed Slalom Driving thanks to the Urban services, which puts potholes in key locations to test drivers’ reflexes and keep them on their toes, not forgetting the ‘Test your skill’ chicanes in suburbs.

13. Seeking eye contact with another driver revokes your right of way.

14. Never take a green light at face value. Always look right and left before proceeding.

15. Remember that the goal of every Canberra driver is to get there first, by whatever means necessary.

16. Real Canberra women drivers can put on pantyhose and apply eye makeup at 75 kph in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

17. Real Canberra men drivers can remove pantyhose and a bra at 95 kph in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

18. Heavy fog and rain are no reasons to change any of the previously listed rules. These weather conditions are God’s way ensuring a natural selection process for panel beaters, junkyards, and new vehicle sales. It is an acceptable practice to increase your speed in comparison to the rate of rain fall, i.e.: the harder it rains, the faster you go.

19. There is a commonly held belief in Canberra that high-speed tailgating in heavy traffic reduces petrol consumption as you get sucked along in the slipstream of the car in front.

20. It’s OK to cut off fully loaded semi-trailers, road trains and buses because, hell – they have brakes.

21. It is an essential duty of the driver to preserve the life of his passengers. Hence no matter how much of an inconvenience it may be, always find a detour around The Causeway, Lower Kambah, Lower Wanniassa, Scullin, Areas of Ainslie, and Oaks Estate.

22. Always anticipate oncoming traffic while driving down a one-way street.

23. It’s O.K when driving in Belconnen’s suburbs to air your grievances at bad drivers by giving the “one finger salute” while screaming out “#%*#”. However, it is imperative you are driving at least a 5-litre V8 with a crow bar in your lap.

24. Canberra drivers are experts at merging. When in two or more lanes travelling in the same direction, ensure that if you see someone politely indicating, waiting slowly trying to merge into your lane, show them that they must ‘Wait their turn’ to use your lane. Speed up, try to cut them off, should they succeed and get into your lane never mind that it was actually legal for them to do that, ensure that your flash your lights, honk your horn, use extreme hand gestures, even tailgate them. Just let them know, IT WAS YOUR LANE.

25. When changing lanes, head checks show a lack of confidence, and there’s a good chance that your rear vision mirror is being used by the Wife for putting on mascara anyway. Change lanes *immediately* regardless. Remember: delay ruins more operations than carelessness!

26. Ensure that when merging into traffic travelling at more than 40kph that you stop in the merging lane, backing up traffic for miles behind you, ensuring that you have given yourself or no-one else that opportunity to merge. Again, forget that the traffic handbook states that you should speed up to meet traffic speed then merge. If you are travelling in a lane near a merge lane, don’t change lanes to make it easy for them, instead see rule 24, after all they deserve it

27. While using Canberra roundabouts, particularly two lane roundabouts, ENSURE that you are in the left lane to turn right, or the right to turn left, hell lets keep those people in those other lanes on their toes.

28. Suburban Roundabouts are for the Canberra driver what snowed over rocks are for the skier at Perisher. Test your skill by seeing how fast you can go *over* a roundabout. For every wheel that leaves the ground you get an extra 10 points.

29. If you are an Action bus driver, you must win at all costs. Getting to your destination prior to any other driver is life and death. Never worry about your passengers bouncing round in the back like tennis balls. Hell, it’s a cheap form of theme park, in fact it’s Canberra’s very own.

30. Canberra Cabs, see rule 29, except you are now qualifying for the GMC 400

31. Pedestrian crossings – What are they? If you are a pedestrian, it is your solemn duty to leap out in front of cars to test both their ABS as well as your hurdling skills. You forfeit all bragging rights if this operation is conducted from more than 10m from the front of the targeted car. Good places to attempt this are the Dickson shops, anywhere near the Canberra Centre, and anywhere in Manuka.

32. If you are a cyclist, remember YOU ARE INVINCIBLE, and you are stronger than ANY vehicle travelling at speed. MAKE SURE you take the whole lane for yourself, and at night NEVER use lights. Remember: They Will See You!

Lenient 8:13 pm 20 Jun 08

Special G 6:47 pm 20 Jun 08

Apparently Mandarins at the Belco markets are going cheap this week.

Skip 5:56 pm 20 Jun 08

Hey Devil_n_Disquiz, WTF?

Devil_n_Disquiz 5:33 pm 20 Jun 08

>freddie281

You are right about the safe distance thing. And we all know what happens when you leave a safe distance,,another driver says “Oh cool,,a gap for me” and before you know it your safe distance has been eroded, so you slow down a little to make a new safe traveling distance and the same thing happens again.
So,,,responsibility for own actions still occurs, but the actions of others ..yeah..nuff said.

freddie281 5:26 pm 20 Jun 08

People whine about how dangerous it is when others slam their brakes on for what ever reason…speed cameras or otherwise.
Do you realize that in the eyes of Police and insurance companies the safest distance you should be traveling behind a another vehicle is such that if he does apply the brakes hard you can still safely stop behind him.

Do we all travel at that distance…probably not. Technically we are breaking the law [drive behind other vehicle too closely to stop safely – Section 167 ARR $197 fine 1 demerit point ] but it your decision to do so. Maybe we should consider taking responsibility for ourselves and judging our own actions before we start ranting about the actions of others.

Overheard 5:11 pm 20 Jun 08

Canberra drivers whingeing about the reprehensible actions of ‘Canberra drivers’.

Faaaaaaarrrrrkkkkkkk.