Canberra Talent

Canfan 14 February 2014 70

While listening to 666 last week, I was surprised to hear (during a review of the new movie Tracks) that Mia Wasikowska (lead actress in said movie) was born in Canberra. I was so surprised that it got me to thinking about how little I hear about Canberra born and/or raised artists – or anyone making an impact on a Global stage.

Are we not ‘breeding’ this talent or are we just not talking about it? Or (an option which may well be just as relevant) am I listening and reading in the wrong places…?

During our Centennial year I saw advertisements on TV from Reese Muldoon and another lady who I didn’t know (I have been out of the country for a while so that is in no way to say she has limited relevance) talking about being ‘from Canberra’ and what that meant to them.

I wonder if this is something that can/should go further afield – to inspire us – and our children to great things…

Who are you aware of as a great Canberra born/raised success?

70 Responses to Canberra Talent
Mattenagger Mattenagger 5:10 pm 20 Feb 14

Az said :

beedlebum said :

Martin and Nick Craft spent a bit of time in Canberra (born here I think, came back in their teens). They formed Sidewinder in the 90s, and Martin has some success in the UK now.

Confirmed: Nick and I sat up the back in chem at Narrabundah College. No work was done. Martin used to hang out with my mate’s little brother. Think they went to SWOW. (Where I gather no work was done either.)

Are they Scientologists? I had their CD back in the day and one of the songs was called L.Ron. Evil Eye was a pretty cool tune.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 2:47 pm 20 Feb 14

pptvb said :

While the game may be, none of the players are.
I can guarantee Gregan, Roff, & Giteau have a bigger “Global” recognition than ANYONE from that silly Victorian game.

I think you’re forgetting about Israel Falou, haha.

pptvb pptvb 11:33 am 20 Feb 14

voytek3 said :

pptvb said :

voytek3 said :

pptvb said :

Holden Caulfield said :

Plenty of Aussie Rules players, including one who provided one of the game’s greatest highlights on its biggest stage… YOU BEAUTY!

Think it’s probably time to disown James HIrd, though, narcissistic prick.

Other lesser lights include Micky Conlon, Shaun Smith, Brett Allison, Aaron Hamill, Justin Blumfield plus a few others and currently Jason Tutt (Bulldogs) along with Josh Bruce and Phil Davis (both GWS).

Claiming Nathan Buckley is a bit rich, though. He was born in Adelaide and spent most of his formative years in SA and NT. A year with Ainslie doesn’t cut it I’m afraid.

If we’re claiming Queanbeyan’s Brad Haddin as our own, may as well add Mark Webber, David Campese, Heather McKay and a bunch of other struggle town greats.

I’m not a huge NRL fan, but have we already forgotten Brad Clyde, Ricky Stuart et al? Similarly, Steven Larkham and his mates?

Can we lay a small claim to Samara Weaving?

Also: http://the-riotact.com/7806/7806

All AFL/VFL players are lesser lights.

“AFL” isn’t a sport. Its called Australian rules football. You know – the national game. You compare Aussie Rules to thugby league let me guess? Sorry – only sports that require skill, talent and athleticism count in this list.

The OP referred to “Global”.
GayFL or whatever the so called “National Game” is, is far from Globally recognised.
While the game may be, none of the players are.

I was pointing out the fact that a corporate governing body isn’t a sport, peanut. And its hardly a souly “Victorian game” when it is the sport of every single state and territory except NSW and QLD. Not to mention the fact that both these states have a huge amounts of people in them that follow the national game.

HUGE AMOUNTS!!!!
or to show the insignificance of Australian Rules Football … less than 0.002 % of the global population.
I love the self appointed tag “National Game”. There are more netball & soccer players nationally. Why is Aussie Rules the National Game? Is it because no-one outside of the southern states of Australia is silly enough to play it?
BTW the International Rugby Board has over 180 member nations.
GLOBAL.

voytek3 voytek3 9:02 am 20 Feb 14

pptvb said :

voytek3 said :

pptvb said :

Holden Caulfield said :

Think it’s probably time to disown James HIrd, though, narcissistic prick.

Can we lay a small claim to Samara Weaving?

Also: http://the-riotact.com/7806/7806

All AFL/VFL players are lesser lights.

The OP referred to “Global”.
While the game may be, none of the players are.

Az Az 4:38 pm 19 Feb 14

beedlebum said :

pptvb pptvb 2:38 pm 19 Feb 14

voytek3 said :

pptvb said :

Holden Caulfield said :

Think it’s probably time to disown James HIrd, though, narcissistic prick.

Can we lay a small claim to Samara Weaving?

Also: http://the-riotact.com/7806/7806

All AFL/VFL players are lesser lights.

The OP referred to “Global”.
While the game may be, none of the players are.

beedlebum beedlebum 7:05 am 19 Feb 14

Antagonist Antagonist 10:52 pm 18 Feb 14

Roundhead89 said :

Flea from Red Hot Chilli Peppers lived in Canberra for several years and has family still living here.

They have been living in Moruya for more than the 25+ years I have personally known them. But in summer, Moruya and Batemans Bay are taken over by Canberrans anyway.

Roundhead89 Roundhead89 4:44 pm 18 Feb 14

dtc dtc 2:50 pm 18 Feb 14

BelcoMan said :

Finally, someone who doesn’t kneel down to Voyteks bullying anti-Canberran diatribe.

The accuracy should be for famous people from the Australian Capital Region to incorporate areas such as Queanbeyan. (It’s closer to Civic than place like Condor or Bonner/Throsby and the like. Surely the positive aspects are drawn from the experiences of the area and not defined by a line across the road somewhere?

Just my 2 bobs worth

FWIW, although Brad Haddin is from Qbyn, he spent almost all his Canberra senior cricket career – and definitely his ‘formative’ years – playing for the ANU. So we can count his talent as Canberran.

although I guess on that argument, the reverse also applies to those who grew up in Canberra but otherwise formed their skills somewhere else

BelcoMan BelcoMan 2:01 pm 18 Feb 14

NoImRight said :

voytek3 said :

pptvb said :

Holden Caulfield said :

Think it’s probably time to disown James HIrd, though, narcissistic prick.

Can we lay a small claim to Samara Weaving?

Also: http://the-riotact.com/7806/7806

All AFL/VFL players are lesser lights.

Surely you can be an AFL player? As in a player in the AFL.

Dont worry about that though, just get back to your pointless aggressive spray. Didnt realise you owned this list jobby.

Just my 2 bobs worth

NoImRight NoImRight 1:15 pm 18 Feb 14

voytek3 said :

pptvb said :

Holden Caulfield said :

Think it’s probably time to disown James HIrd, though, narcissistic prick.

Can we lay a small claim to Samara Weaving?

Also: http://the-riotact.com/7806/7806

All AFL/VFL players are lesser lights.

Surely you can be an AFL player? As in a player in the AFL.

NoImRight NoImRight 1:10 pm 18 Feb 14

Holden Caulfield said :

pptvb said :

All AFL/VFL players are lesser lights.

Speaking of which, nobody has mentioned Joel Monaghan.

Gee didn’t his career dive after he let a dog give him head.

League players are tops. Thanks for the reminder.

I dont think players of any code have a lot of moral high ground to stand on.

Skidd Marx Skidd Marx 12:15 pm 18 Feb 14

Steve Kilbey is unarguably the greatest Canberran.

Grrrr Grrrr 11:07 am 18 Feb 14

The Falling Joys

dtc dtc 10:20 am 18 Feb 14

grunge_hippy said :

Matthew Le Nevez (Dr Patrick on Offspring…RIP) is also from Canberra.

Wish I knew him when he was…. 🙁

I played cricket with him when he was – does that count? I can pretend to be a doctor.

Alistair Grierson, who directed Sanctum and Kokoda, is a local. He recently directed Parer’s War, which stars…Mathew Le Nevez

Ben Barrack, who appeared in … Kokoda (and also Neighbours) is from Canberra. But we are getting down to minor talents here.

Roundhead89 Roundhead89 9:26 am 18 Feb 14

voytek3 said :

pptvb said :

Holden Caulfield said :

Think it’s probably time to disown James HIrd, though, narcissistic prick.

Can we lay a small claim to Samara Weaving?

Also: http://the-riotact.com/7806/7806

All AFL/VFL players are lesser lights.

Alex Jesaulenko stayed in the migrant hostel on Capital Hill after arriving in Australia. He played for Eastlake before being discovered by Carlton talent scouts.

dungfungus dungfungus 8:58 am 18 Feb 14

Masquara said :

Rhys Muldoon

I think Rhys has only ventured out the door of the ABC once to do a series about a small airline on a commercial channel before retreating to the haven of the taxpayer cosseted ABC.
It is hard to have “talent” and “ABC” in the same sentence.

Masquara Masquara 8:16 pm 17 Feb 14

Rhys Muldoon

voytek3 voytek3 7:22 pm 17 Feb 14

pptvb said :

Holden Caulfield said :

Think it’s probably time to disown James HIrd, though, narcissistic prick.

Can we lay a small claim to Samara Weaving?

Also: http://the-riotact.com/7806/7806

All AFL/VFL players are lesser lights.

Region Group Pty Ltd