Canberra too provincial for Come Fly With Me

johnboy 16 May 2011 36

News has a story on the decision by our 9 affiliate WIN to not broadcast “Come Fly With Me” the camp airline comedy from the Little Britain team.

Channel Nine’s regional affiliates, WIN and NBN Television, have decided that David Walliams and Matt Lucas’s airport-based satire Come Fly With Me is is inappropriate for their regional audience in NSW.

Instead we’re getting more Big Bang Theory. Oh bliss.

UPDATE: It should be noted the show will be available on GO! at 10pm.

36 Responses to Canberra too provincial for Come Fly With Me
Deref Deref 7:20 pm 16 May 11

Win – what do you expect? They give new meaning to “lowest common denominator”.

John Moulis John Moulis 3:54 pm 16 May 11

This is nothing new. In 1992 WIN refused to show Doug Mulray’s Australia’s Naughtiest Home Videos, the program famously yanked off air by Kerry Packer halfway through.

In the leadup to the show going to air WIN said it wasn’t censorship, that they would show it when the regional ratings were on later in the year. As it turned out, it was never shown on WIN until 2009 when Channel Nine under different owners found an unlabelled copy when they were doing spring cleaning, re-edited it with Bert Newton replacing much of Mulray’s input, and showed it in its entirety.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 3:54 pm 16 May 11

Pommy bastard said :

Well if 2 1/2 men can be the top ranked “comedy” show in Aus, we only have ourselves to blame for being seen as somewhat less than suffistikatud.

That’s a very good point.

Northsidechick Northsidechick 3:29 pm 16 May 11

Ok this really gets my goat. God damn billy bob, I’m pissed off.

The Frots The Frots 3:02 pm 16 May 11

Keijidosha said :

I’ll be damned if I let a television network dictate the height of my brow. To the internet!

Agreed to all – Tallho I say……………………….

cmdwedge cmdwedge 2:45 pm 16 May 11

Pick your server, download, enjoy. Ad-free, too.

miz miz 2:44 pm 16 May 11

What a stupid decision by WIN. They’ve been promoting it on their channel, and I was intending to watch it.

Keijidosha Keijidosha 2:20 pm 16 May 11

davo101 davo101 2:04 pm 16 May 11

Odd, according to the WIN web-site it’s on tonight at 10:04pm on GO. Maybe someone forgot to tell the web-master?

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 1:57 pm 16 May 11

thatsnotme thatsnotme 1:52 pm 16 May 11

I’m with you Mysteryman – I’ll watch it at my leisure, ad free. One of these days TV executives will realise that in a digital age, it’s impossible to withold content like this.

pierce pierce 1:46 pm 16 May 11

At least we’re still sophisticated enough for The Footy Show

Erg0 Erg0 1:38 pm 16 May 11

Not that I had any plans to watch the show (having seldom despaired of the state of humanity as much I did when watching a co-worker descend into paroxysms of laughter at a broad Asian stereotype on Little Britain), but the decision to divide the viewing audience into bumpkin/non-bumpkin categories doesn’t seem like a great PR move on WIN’s part.

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 1:22 pm 16 May 11

That sucks donkey balls.

Mister Evil Breakfast Mister Evil Breakfast 1:21 pm 16 May 11

It’s about time we were told what we can and can’t watch. I’m sick of having to make decisions and form opinions about what I find funny.

Is it strange that they’re putting on a tv show about a group of scientist nerds who explain string theory and play online games because we’re too “regional” to understand the workings of an airport and the fact that there might be “multicultural” characters?

Canberra – it’s the capital, but it sure doesn’t A.C.T. like it.

Kayellar Kayellar 1:20 pm 16 May 11

For the love of crap!

Mysteryman Mysteryman 1:15 pm 16 May 11

I have the internet. I’ll watch the show regardless of what the buffoons at WIN think. Ever since I discovered how to access TV shows via the internet some years ago, I’ve become my own programming director. I watch what I want, when I want, free from ads. Let’s be honest, the regional stations/affiliates are a joke anyway. Their news is terrible and their ads worse.

gospeedygo gospeedygo 1:15 pm 16 May 11

Wait, wasn’t the camp airline steward schtick done already by Full Frontal….or was that Fast Forward? One of the two. Anyways, expect the characters to get old by the third episode. Yawn! Not missing much.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 1:13 pm 16 May 11

What a bunch of arse!

The Frots The Frots 1:05 pm 16 May 11

WHAT??????????? You have to kidding me…………………….

Region Group Pty Ltd