Who doesn’t love venturing to the local winery, sampling a few artisan wines, perhaps indulging in a meal, and soaking up the remarkable scenery?
If you’re looking to take a trip to a winery in Canberra or its surrounds, you’ve come to the right place. After conducting a little research and chatting to the locals, we’ve come up with a list of the top three wineries near Canberra. These spectacular sites not only offer some of the finest wines in the region but also make for a delightful day out.
Ready to go? Fantastic. Let’s jump right into it.
What makes a great winery?
Whether you’ve got an upcoming function, wedding, or event, or are looking for a unique and romantic day out, nearby wineries are a lovely option. When selecting a winery to visit, we suggest keeping an eye out for the following traits:
- Excellent wine. First and foremost, the wine should be fantastic. Whether you like white or red or have no preference at all, you should savour every last sip when you visit a Canberra winery.
- Picturesque scenery. We all need some time in the great outdoors every now and then. Gorgeous scenery can take a trip to the local winery to a whole new level.
- A well-stocked bottle shop. If the wine is excellent, you’ll probably want to pick up a bottle or two to take home with you. Local wines also make for thoughtful gifts.
- A great restaurant or café. Make a day of it and indulge in lunch or dinner – of course, paired with a glass of vino – at the winery’s café or restaurant.
- Knowledgeable and friendly staff. Whether you’d like a tour of the winery or just have a couple of questions about the manufacturing process, the staff should have the expertise to help.
The top wineries in Canberra according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
It’s time to plan your next trip to a local Canberra winery. Here are our top picks.
Tucked away 30km east of Canberra in the spectacular hills of Wamboin is Contentious Character. This cool-climate winery is surrounded by rolling mountains and snow-capped peaks, and offers some of the finest glasses of wine in the region. With a vibrant calendar of events, a tasty kitchen menu at their on-site restaurant, and plenty of space for weddings and get-togethers, Contentious Character is a must-visit for local Canberra residents and visitors alike.
Located just 25km from Canberra’s city centre, the Brindabella Hills vineyard and winery is perched on a scenic ridge about the Murrumbidgee. Surrounded by vibrant hills, the granite soils and cool climate result in the production of premium grapes and spectacular wines. The Brindabella Hills vineyard and winery is open for cellar door tastings on the weekends, and for sales on weekdays.
McKellar Ridge is an award-winning boutique winery that produces fine wines that exemplify the revered taste profile of Canberra’s cool-climate region. Established in 2005, this stunning destination was awarded 5-star status by James Halliday in late 2017.
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Do you regularly visit wineries in the Canberra region? Which is your favourite? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments section below.