Simon Corbell has today launched a winter fire prevention campaign.
Intriguingly is focusses on how to avoid kitchen fires.
People don’t cook in summer?
The 2011 Winter Home Fire Safety campaign, developed by the ACT Fire Brigade in partnership with NRMA Insurance, will run for 1 month and include radio, press, internet advertisements and promotional wooden spoons featuring the key message ‘Don’t stop looking while you’re cooking’.
This will be reinforced with a range of helpful advice on the ACT Fire Brigade website www.firebrigade.act.gov.au including:
• Do not leave the stove unattended whilst cooking;
• Wipe up spills on the stove and oven as grease build up can increase the risk of fire;
• Make sure pot handles are facing inwards;
• Do not wear loose clothing whilst cooking especially with gas cook tops;
• If a pot or pan catches fire put a lid on it to smother the fire. Do not use water on a fire in the kitchen as it can spread the fire, instead use afire blanket or an approved fire extinguisher; and
• Never carry a pot on fire. You could spill the contents, which could spread the fire or cause you to be burnt.
We’re fascinated to see where the internet advertisements turn up.