The Best Wine Bars In Canberra

142

Few things in life can top a glass of fine wine. Complex, unique, indulgent, and simply delicious, a good wine truly is a taste sensation.

One of the best ways to sample a range of wines is by visiting a wine bar. These bars specialise in fine wine, offering up a diverse, ever-changing collection of both local and international wine. Some serve up starters and meals alongside their drinks, and others keep it simple. Either way, when you discover an incredible wine bar, you’ll find yourself coming back again and again.

If you are looking to sample a range of wines in the Canberra region, you’ve come to the right place. We asked Canberra locals to share their favourite wine bars, and the results are in.

Let’s get started right away.

What makes an excellent wine bar?

So much goes into making a fantastic wine bar. On your hunt, we suggest keeping a sharp eye out for the following traits:

• An exciting range of wines. You head to a wine bar to sample the finest wines on the market, right? So, the very first thing to keep a lookout for is the wine menu. It should be diverse and exciting, containing a mix of local, national, and international labels.
  • Staff with expertise. If you’d like to learn more about the wine you are drinking, the bar staff should be able to help. They should have the expertise needed to answer any of your questions.
  • Lively atmosphere. The atmosphere is essential. No one wants to enjoy a glass of wine in a quiet, empty bar.
  • Great food. If they serve food, it better be good.

The top wine bars in Canberra according to you

RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.

To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.

Without further ado, here are the top wine bars in Canberra according to the region’s local residents.

Bacaro

What’s better than a glass of wine? A glass of wine and a fresh, wood-fired pizza. Bacaro is an authentically Italian pizza and wine bar accessed through an unsuspecting laneway. Grab a seat at the chic marble bar, or kick-back and relax on a low-slung stool. Enjoy a pizza or generous bowl of fresh-made pasta or indulge in other delicacies. Choose from a mouth-watering selection of antipasti, including cheese boards and house-made salumi.

Hippo Co.

Tucked away in the heart of Canberra is Hippo Co., a boutique whiskey, wine, and cocktail bar that serves up some of the finest drinks in the region. The atmosphere is both classy and cosy, with exposed brick walls and warm, dim lighting. Live blues music on Monday and jazz on Wednesday add to the cool yet sophisticated vibe. Sit back, enjoy a glass of top-quality vino, and indulge in a little banter. Or, get a group of friends together and get behind the bar yourself with the Hippo Co. Cocktail Masterclass. How good is that?

Bar Rochford

Hidden in the iconic Melbourne Building is Bar Rochford, a local hotspot known for its stellar food, exciting wines, and killer jams. The interior is classic and minimalist, combining raw materials with fine leathers. Both the food and wine menu change regularly – the team behind Bar Rochford is passionate about using in-season produce to develop unique culinary creations. One visit certainly isn’t enough.

Who did you pick?

Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.

Have you visited any of the wine bars listed above? How was your experience? Share your thoughts and feedback in the comments area below.

142 Responses to The Best Wine Bars In Canberra
ant ant 1:57 pm 18 Apr 08

justbands said :

Matildas! Now there’s a bast from the past. I spent many an underaged night drinking there.

Oh my! I’d forgtten that place. We hung out there a lot, too. Great food and those grog coffees were the BEST!

moff moff 1:11 pm 18 Apr 08

Das Kapital in Narrabundah is fairly nice. I totally agree with everyones comments about allbar – that place has taken a dive.

tap tap 1:07 pm 18 Apr 08

The boardroom was good for underage drinking. They didn’t give a damn! Great times. And the ground floor will always have a special place in my heart.

RuffnReady RuffnReady 12:31 pm 18 Apr 08

ant, did you go to the Ranch back in the days when Nick and Dennis owned it? They were great guys, and I used to spend most of my disposable income there as a 19yo… used to sit at the bar all night drinking Carlton, staring at Tori the Beautiful, and then at closing time I’d put on The End by The Doors and sing every word before they kicked me out.

Thems were the dayz…

Bludger Bludger 12:09 pm 18 Apr 08

Timberwolf are you talking about the old Clancy’s in Watson at the old Heritage Village? Gee I loved that place…

Thumper Thumper 11:49 am 18 Apr 08

Ssanta. archaeology.

you bastard, that looks like fun…

Thumper Thumper 11:48 am 18 Apr 08

I suspect Timberwolf is my vintage 😉

S4anta S4anta 11:48 am 18 Apr 08

Beggars. word

Thumper Thumper 11:42 am 18 Apr 08

Captain Greggs, Boot and Flogger, Blind Beggars…..

Ah, memories….

fnaah fnaah 11:34 am 18 Apr 08

As long as we’re reminiscing, a tear comes to my eye whenever I recall gigging at the Rose and Crown in Weston.

To this day, I have not had a finer Long Island Iced Tea than the ones they used to make there. Some of you may not realise this, but the LIIT should actually taste like tea.

justbands justbands 11:21 am 18 Apr 08

Timberwolf65 Timberwolf65 11:16 am 18 Apr 08

realityskin said :

The Venue in Erindale at 4am.

Are you for real, that place is a dive, I wouldn’t go there if it was the last place open.
Use to be ok when it first opened and they played half decent music.
Now you have to be in a drugged out state to have any sort of enjoyment.
Say no to drugs…say no to the venue!!!
Bring back Clancy’s and Matilda’s Tavern.

Kitty7 Kitty7 10:11 am 18 Apr 08

Maybe I should have been clearer. Never went to Moby’s to drink, just went with the olds when we were kids.

ant ant 9:57 am 18 Apr 08

El rancho was the venue of choice when we were underage. El Kiddies was its other name, or El Cheapo (cos it was). If the warning came through that cops were coming, we’d all scuttle out the back door into the back courtyard and hide! If a bar has a working back door, they can serve underagers.

Kitty7 Kitty7 8:54 am 18 Apr 08

Someone mentioned Moby Dicks, I practically grew up there, we went so often as kids. Can even remember going there when it was Taits Tavern. Don’t think I ever went there after I was 18, but they used to have great Christmas parties.

barney barney 8:34 am 18 Apr 08

The Royal Hotel on Monaro St is pretty radical.

zee zee 8:27 am 18 Apr 08

realityskin sed:

Trinity , tuggeranong, sunday arvo, 4 coronas (for $20) in a metal bucket filled with ice to take outside and listen to the jazz band. Gold.

$5 for a corona? shit. I used to pay $1 for corona back in the day. and they’re still not worth anything more. kerrist what are you thinking, paying a fiver for that urine-water?

RuffnReady RuffnReady 12:16 am 18 Apr 08

Zorro’s, oh hell yeah. $4 jugs, filth and good times. 🙂

New Yeah New Yeah 12:05 am 18 Apr 08

These days I would say Filthys in Kingston.

But for the best Canberra pub of all time I can’t go past Zorros.

I know it shut down in the late 90’s, but for an underage lad it provided a good introduction to the ways of the watering hole. Dunnys covered in graf, metal on the jukebox and a clientele that could make the Phoenix look high tea at the Hyatt.

RuffnReady RuffnReady 10:32 pm 17 Apr 08

Yes! Post #100 goes to me… and #101!

Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | riotact.com.cn | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com