News

Skilled legal advice with
accessible & personal attention

Canberra’s light rail picks up speed with network to be fully operational in April

Lachlan Roberts 1 March 2019 76

The light rail is expected to be fully operational sometime in April.

Canberra’s long wait for the arrival of its light rail looks set to end as the ACT Government announces the new transport network will be fully operational next month.

As the project enters the final stages of testing, ACT Transport Minister Meegan Fitzharris announced the network will be launched on a Saturday in April but would not confirm a date. Ms Fitzharris said the ACT Government is looking at mid-April as its start date.

“What we are aiming to do on that Saturday is for everyone in the community to have free access to the whole public transport system so they can travel around the city for free,” she said. “We are really looking forward to being able to announce the Saturday in April to get operations underway.

“We are so close to having light rail here in Canberra.”

The Mitchell light rail depot is now fully operational and light rail vehicles will have priority at intersections and crossings from today (1 March) as the project starts to pick up speed towards its completion date.

Light rail vehicles will now be the first to cross through intersections, pedestrian crossings and median crossings when travelling along the Gungahlin to City route. New signs and traffic signals have been installed to remind motorists and pedestrians that they are now travelling alongside a light rail service.

Pedestrians will now see a ‘don’t walk’ signal when they reach a track crossing and if a light rail vehicle is approaching, pedestrians and cyclists will need to wait for the green signal before crossing the tracks.

Light rail project director Meghan Oldfield said that a new traffic signalling system will provide light rail vehicles with priority as they approach intersections and will change the usual sequence of lights.

“The new traffic signalling system will ensure that light rail passengers enjoy the most efficient journey time when travelling on light rail while helping to maintain frequency,” she said.

“Where in the past motorists may have been able to predict the traffic lights because of the regular sequencing, this will now change. The usual sequence of signals will be disrupted as they approach an intersection and it’s really important that motorists, cyclists and pedestrians pay attention to the signals.”

Over two and a half years since the first sod for the light rail depot was turned, the new state-of-the-art facility is now fully operational and will be the engine-room behind Canberra’s light rail system.

The depot will house a fleet of 14 light rail vehicles and around 100 staff including 33 drivers, 16 customer service officers and a number of operational control centre duty managers who will monitor the light rail corridor day and night.

Canberra Metro CEO Glenn Stockton said the light rail nerve centre has a back-up operations control centre and an automatic vehicle location system that monitors the real-time position of vehicles on the alignment.

“The depot hosts some of the latest security technology including live stream CCTV monitors on board light rail vehicles and at each stop to ensure safety,” Mr Stockton said.

“GPS tracking systems across the network enable us to provide real-time route information so that passengers always know when the next LRV is arriving.

“Within the operational control centre, not only will trained operators manage and supervise the performance of the light rail system, but they’ll also work with emergency services in responding to and providing an immediate response to any incidents along the alignment.”

What’s Your opinion?

76 Responses to
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
11:55 am 02 Mar 19

Looking forward to my trip to work from West Belconnen taking twice as long on public transport so the people of Gunghalin and inner north can use the light rail! Thanks "Transport" Canberra.

9:26 pm 02 Mar 19

Anne T Turner I really looking forward to see how many from Gunghalin will be happy to pay more and take longer!

9:28 pm 02 Mar 19

Raffy Sgroi probably about as many who will continue to use the buses when the express services are cancelled!

3:38 pm 03 Mar 19

The Gungahlin to city light rail has a peak time service of 6 minutes. Which is far quicker than by car.

3:42 pm 03 Mar 19

Dennis Pinner unfortunately I don't live in Gungahlin (and had forgotten how to spell it!). The reason that express services have been cut from my part of Belconnen along with the rest of Canberra is because of the light rail. Right now I can get to to city in 20 -30 minutes which is quite comparable to a car. In the future it will be 40-50 minutes. On a good day. And this is supposed to make bus travel more attractive apparently.

4:39 pm 03 Mar 19

Dennis Pinner haha - wrong! Journey times will 25mins Gungahlin to City according to all the govt documentation (similar to the bus if it didn't get slowed down in traffic and roadworks). Trains will come every 6 mins in peak hour, which is probably where you got your mistaken figure from. If light rail covered the 12km distance in 6 minutes that would mean the trams are travelling at speeds over 150km/h - now that would be something!!

1:58 pm 04 Mar 19

Anne, sorry to hear that Transport Canberra is making your bus journey slower. Its a mystery why they would do this for a route for which there is not now a light rail option? I suggest you complain to Transport Canberra.

2:08 pm 04 Mar 19

Max Kwiatkowski Max, The way the info is presented by TC is misleading, why they cannot clearly state frequency and duration I don't know. Incidentally the tram would only need to travel at 120km/h for 12kms in 6 mins without stops. Apparently however the maximum speed is about 70km/h so you are clearly right the journey will take longer than 6 mins. I guess all the stopping is going to slow things down a fair bit. I expect we will here a lot more about this as the service actually hits the tracks!

3:49 pm 04 Mar 19

Dennis Pinner I have tried so many times to provide constructive feedback to ACTION. My two favourite conversations: ACTION advised me that my city express bus 217 (going from Kippax to Civic) was being replaced by the 227 (which goes from Weston to Civic). When I questioned this they told me that was all the information they had. Second one was when they had temporary arrangements for an interchange for more than 6 months with no shelters or ramps. ACTION told me I should talk to someone else if I had mobility issues, it was not their responsibility.

4:31 pm 04 Mar 19

Possibly they got confused because it is actually a 717 from Kippax, not a 217 - but I agree that they are less than responsive. The 717 is my morning and afternoon bus too, and when its discontinued after April my travel time will double. Trying to juggle full time work and study, I can't afford to spend more time on travel - and I use my current time on the express bus (plenty of seats) to do my tutorial readings. Don't imagine will be able to do it in future packed into a standing room only bus from Belconnen shared with school kids...

4:35 pm 04 Mar 19

Anne T Turner maybe registering a complaint will get you further. There a several ways you can do this under service policy on the transport.act.gov website.

If all fails speak to your MLA. I am sure they want the new service to be a success and if instead they are making your life more difficult - let them have it, politely of cause, but firmly. Good luck

4:55 pm 04 Mar 19

Anya Joedicke Dettman the 217 was an earlier incarnation of the 717. Because I don't drive I have been catching the bus for quite some time 😊

10:59 am 02 Mar 19

I bet Tuggeranong residents can’t wait to drive to civic and catch the tram 🚃.

10:06 am 02 Mar 19

they missed a great opportunity to do live passenger testing with free travel to the Canberra show. I wonder if they'll do it for the Folkie.

10:00 am 02 Mar 19

April 31st!

9:25 am 02 Mar 19

"...cyclists will need to wait for the green signal before crossing the tracks."

I'll believe that when I see it! 😂🤣

8:59 am 02 Mar 19

Thank god, only 2 more months until they stop closing off random intersections without warning down Northbourne Avenue.

6:38 am 02 Mar 19

I think the light rail will be of great benefit. This is only the first step... I think when there is a large network that links all of Canberra together, it will be excellent.

3:35 am 02 Mar 19

And to only think that the health system is lacking in funds to help ALL Canberrans due to this failure!

11:50 pm 01 Mar 19

Luke's A Swallow we are making a trip down to try it

11:21 pm 01 Mar 19

Brilliant ! So looking forward to riding on this ! Well done Canberra !

11:11 pm 01 Mar 19

Yay for literally the smallest percentage of Northside!!!

10:59 pm 01 Mar 19

Is this an early April Fools Day joke ?

9:07 pm 01 Mar 19

Does the trainset work in the rain?

9:07 pm 01 Mar 19

Probably April 1

bj_ACT 8:30 pm 01 Mar 19

Good to hear it’s now ready for formal testing. I saw cement work happening last week and thought that type of stuff should have been completed ages ago.

Peak hour travel will be a definite success. However, It’s ensuring that the carriages are almost half full outside of peak hour that will determine whether it’s successful or not.

Capital Retro 9:17 am 03 Mar 19

Has anyone calculated the carbon footprint of this project? With all that concrete it must be enormous.

It makes a mockery of the territory claiming it will be using 100% renewables.

7:47 pm 01 Mar 19

Saw it buzzing by as we walked to Jolimont for Mardi Gras. I was hoping to catch it to Jolimont this year. Next year

7:33 pm 01 Mar 19

And Flemington Rd reduces to one lane 3 days of the week for remulching and weeding 😂😂😂😂 what a joke

7:29 pm 01 Mar 19

All of Canberra’s problem will be solved until it rains

7:13 pm 01 Mar 19

Only a year overdue and riddled with defects. It remains to be seen how reliably it will run as a result. I doubt the pain is over yet but look forward to the easing of traffic congestion as everyone who wanted it gets on board.

7:21 pm 01 Mar 19

I’m curious where you got “a year overdue” and “riddled with defects”? I’d love to see some source for those claims, as if true they should absolutely be addressed.

7:34 pm 01 Mar 19

Sue Ellen the contract has bonuses for early delivery, my understanding is that the contracted delivery date was always April 2019 subject to penalties. The amount of rework is normal for a contract of this size.

10:06 pm 01 Mar 19

It was originally planned to be running in 2019. That was the promise at the last election. Then some manager thought it would be ready by xmas but it wasn't. For a project of this size if it starts in April, it will probably be used as an actual good example of running a project.

8:07 am 02 Mar 19

Have you been under a rock?

Google it

Correctly described as a year overdue and riddled with defects!

8:17 am 02 Mar 19

Justin Watson the contracted date for completion of construction was always 21st December 2018. With operations early in 2019.

11:42 am 02 Mar 19

Lexie: you made the declaration, the onus is on you to deliver the proof, This is known as "the burden of proof". google it.

Don't to try to distract someone away from the argument with attempts to find what doesn't exist.

2:32 pm 02 Mar 19

I love it when trams are introduced to non-tram cities. We Melbournites, who've enjoyed reliable tram travel for over 130 years do chuckle.

3:55 pm 02 Mar 19

I love it when people think facebook is a court room

5:00 pm 02 Mar 19

Sue Ellen not likely to be used.

4:43 pm 06 Mar 19

Sue Ellen the contract summary says ' the construction phase for the Capital Metro Project will be complete by late 2018

and operations will begin by early 2019' https://www.tccs.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/887686/Light-rail-Capital-Metro-Project-Contract-Summary.pdf

7:12 am 09 Mar 19

We were told completion would be March 2018. Media has covered the delay and defects. Here's one article https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-15/canberra-light-rail-months-behind-schedule/9871848

1:52 pm 10 Mar 19

Sue Ellen March 2018 was never the operational date.

As for the defects sure there are some as you would expect on any major project. You have worked on several haven’t you?

As for the article that is about missing project delivery deadlines. If the finish construction by the end of the month (and I believe that excludes roads) then they will be 3 months behind the contracted completion date.

Capital Retro 3:37 pm 01 Mar 19

“…..100 staff….”

That’s $10 million a year at least! Where is the money for them going to come from?

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.