Canberra’s Little Girls 3 v. Abductors 0

johnboy 5 April 2009 74

[First filed: April 03, 2009 @ 17:08]

[First filed: April 03, 2009 @ 12:23]

ACT Policing warns us of a third abduction attempt in the last week:

ACT Policing is investigating an attempted abduction from Knoke Avenue, Gordon around 9.10am today (April 3).

A 10-year-old girl was walking to school when she was approached by a male who offered to give her a lift. The victim refused and was then grabbed by the wrist and dragged toward a vehicle by the male who is described as approximately 5’9” (175cm) tall, with black hair, dark skin and driving a light blue vehicle similar to a Mitsubishi Mirage.

The victim escaped by kicking the offender in the shins and running to her school.

This is the third incident where a young person has been grabbed by a stranger in Canberra this week.

Police would urge members of the public to be vigilant and report all suspicious behavior to police, on 131-444 or if not urgent contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

A face-fit of the offender will be prepared and distributed as soon as possible.

UPDATED: The media unit has announced the release of a facefit but not actually included the facefit in their announcement (as of 17:09).

666 radio reports are suggesting this one could be related to the original Conder incident, which at least means only the one predator down south rather than two.

Further Update: The facefit is finally online.

For those of you wittering “what is the world coming to” I’d suggest this:

The world has come to a place where 12 year old girls are empowered enough to stand up for themselves and kick these bastards in the shins. In the so-called “good old days” they just disapeared. For those of you critical of my headline here’s the point. This isn’t a one off lucky escape, this is a winning streak. Now we just need an arrest, a prosecution, and a healthy sentence.

It kicks the arse out of the old “ignorance is bliss and suffer in silence” era.

74 Responses to Canberra’s Little Girls 3 v. Abductors 0
1 2 3 4 Next »
Clown Killer Clown Killer 3:31 pm 03 Apr 09

if these b*stards could be tracked, so we always knew where they were…

Peterh, unfortunately for the vast majority of people who get caught for these crimes, it is the first time that they have come to the attention of the police. With the exception of a small number of well publicised instances involving recidivists these predators will have a clean record. A register is little more than a clumsy tool to appease those in the electorate who probably should have paid more attention at school.

Granny, I love those walking buses. Friends of ours do that in Melbourne, they’re a great idea.

Granny Granny 3:19 pm 03 Apr 09

The walking school buses are a great idea. People can do something positive by getting involved with these programs or starting one for your school.

peterh peterh 3:09 pm 03 Apr 09

captainwhorebags said :

peterh, not saying that is a bad idea per se, but how would a national pedophile register have helped in this situation? I’m not aware of how these registers are supposed to work.

if these b*stards could be tracked, so we always knew where they were, in fact, thinking about it, with a gps tagged bracelet, we could provide safer conditions for our kids. no human rights for them. none.

and jb, i watch my children very carefully. no one goes near my kids – to talk to them or touch them without mine or my wife’s knowledge. Strangers are kept at arms length. They are my world, and if the act govt took the time to look at the possible solutions to this problem, perhaps i wouldn’t be so overprotective.

monomania,

when the ACT govt closed down the school near me, it forced us to re-think our location in relation to suitable schools. we are now looking to move to a suburb that has a primary school and preschool located in easy walking distance. I want my kids to be safe walking to school.

Calwell Resident Calwell Resident 3:08 pm 03 Apr 09

I am a father of a six year old and this is a very worrying trend. Especially so close to school hols when the kids will want to be outside and playing. I recommend all adults, not just parents be vigilant and aware not only for your own kids but all in your neighbourhood

shauno shauno 3:06 pm 03 Apr 09

These people wanting to know what the Govt is doing about it. What a stupid thing to say its a random nutcase. What the hell can you do about that? maybe lock up the all the kids?

monomania monomania 2:23 pm 03 Apr 09

captainwhorebags said :

I’m glad that the Legislative Assembly had the foresight to address this issue. By closing schools within walking distance they have compelled children to use alternative transport such as buses and cars, thus avoiding being snatched by perverts.

Bravo.

Give it up. This a serious issue and the post has nothing to do with school closures.

deezagood deezagood 2:23 pm 03 Apr 09

Clown Killer said :

We’re not taking any chances – it’s drop-off and pick-up at the class room door for my five and eight year olds.

Same here; door to door. I also showed the kids the identikit photo from the last abuction attempt and had another good chat with them about stranger-danger. This is very worrying … I honestly used to feel really safe living in Canberra (one of the reasons we moved here from Melbourne) … but these days, not so much.

captainwhorebags captainwhorebags 2:22 pm 03 Apr 09

johnboy johnboy 2:20 pm 03 Apr 09

So you WANT a useless and possibly counter-productive knee jerk just so you can feel better without making your child one tiny bit safer?

That’s one of the most selfish things I’ve ever heard.

peterh peterh 2:18 pm 03 Apr 09

at a risk of moderation, jb, do you know the fear that this type of behaviour provokes in a parent? The fact that these predators are targeting little girls – worries the hell out of me. If the act government are doing something, perhaps a one line from their media office saying “ACT Government debates crackdown on child abuse” or “ACT government calls for a National Pedophile register” would go a long way to help me feel better, and know that they are actually doing something. The AFP can’t be expected to be the people’s protectors alone…

tortfeaser tortfeaser 2:14 pm 03 Apr 09

I’ve a five year old girl and live very close to the site of the first incident in Banks. Now there’s these subsequent incidents. Worrying.

But I wouldn’t say there’s been no response. This week each morning as I walk to the bus stop there’s been visible police presence, and lots of parents standing with their kids at the bus stop. Lots of vigilant community members.

Hope all these eyes find the rockspider.

peterh peterh 1:38 pm 03 Apr 09

captainwhorebags said :

Bravo.

is that what you mean, jb?

captainwhorebags captainwhorebags 1:26 pm 03 Apr 09

Bravo.

Thumper Thumper 1:24 pm 03 Apr 09

Copycat?

Who knows…

Some really sick puppies out their.

sepi sepi 1:22 pm 03 Apr 09

This is so scary – and wierd that all three of the abductors have been described totally differently – are they a gang – can there really be three separate ones, or is it one person and confused descriptions.

I hope they catch someone soon.

johnboy johnboy 1:17 pm 03 Apr 09

Engage Brain before commenting Peter.

What makes you think they’re not doing something?

peterh peterh 1:15 pm 03 Apr 09

where are they coming from? and what is the motivation for them to try to snatch kids?

why aren’t the act govt cracking down on this type of behavior, instead of worrying about bikies and their behaviour??

Clown Killer Clown Killer 12:41 pm 03 Apr 09

Granny Granny 12:40 pm 03 Apr 09

Is this a different guy? I must say I’m impressed with the quick thinking of these young girls, especially in the face of the differential in strength.

Unfortunately, I no longer believe there’s any point in the police even bothering to catch them. There’ll no doubt be some technicality or other that sees them roaming free two seconds later. I wouldn’t even put my kid through the trauma of testifying.

If you don’t expect anything of the system it can’t hurt you or let you down.

V twin venom V twin venom 12:36 pm 03 Apr 09

Gutsy little kid – you go girl! Steel caps will soon be the school shoe of choice.

Mini venom (9) rides a scooter to school and has been taught how to spin it above his head and direct a blow that would break bones if required.

Primary defense will always be be.. break free scream and run.

1 2 3 4 Next »