Canberra’s Little Girls 3 v. Abductors 0

johnboy 5 April 2009 74

[First filed: April 03, 2009 @ 17:08]

[First filed: April 03, 2009 @ 12:23]

ACT Policing warns us of a third abduction attempt in the last week:

ACT Policing is investigating an attempted abduction from Knoke Avenue, Gordon around 9.10am today (April 3).

A 10-year-old girl was walking to school when she was approached by a male who offered to give her a lift. The victim refused and was then grabbed by the wrist and dragged toward a vehicle by the male who is described as approximately 5’9” (175cm) tall, with black hair, dark skin and driving a light blue vehicle similar to a Mitsubishi Mirage.

The victim escaped by kicking the offender in the shins and running to her school.

This is the third incident where a young person has been grabbed by a stranger in Canberra this week.

Police would urge members of the public to be vigilant and report all suspicious behavior to police, on 131-444 or if not urgent contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

A face-fit of the offender will be prepared and distributed as soon as possible.

UPDATED: The media unit has announced the release of a facefit but not actually included the facefit in their announcement (as of 17:09).

666 radio reports are suggesting this one could be related to the original Conder incident, which at least means only the one predator down south rather than two.

Further Update: The facefit is finally online.

For those of you wittering “what is the world coming to” I’d suggest this:

The world has come to a place where 12 year old girls are empowered enough to stand up for themselves and kick these bastards in the shins. In the so-called “good old days” they just disapeared. For those of you critical of my headline here’s the point. This isn’t a one off lucky escape, this is a winning streak. Now we just need an arrest, a prosecution, and a healthy sentence.

It kicks the arse out of the old “ignorance is bliss and suffer in silence” era.

74 Responses to Canberra’s Little Girls 3 v. Abductors 0
Sleaz274 Sleaz274 11:25 pm 03 Apr 09

Nothing I can prove….

Soon my pretty, soon…

Adza Adza 12:14 am 04 Apr 09

I sat down with my kids tonight and told them what’s happened this week. I’ve told them do anything it takes to get away, gouge their eyes out, kick them in the privates, do whatever it takes and don’t be scared of hurting them.

It makes me sick thinking there are guys like this out there.

Thumper Thumper 12:18 am 04 Apr 09

It appears that parents are doing all they can.

Can I add that you should also teach your kids to scream, bite, punch, yell, poke eyes out, etc.

Make sure they make it as hard as possible. And scream, loudly…..

joy123 joy123 12:39 am 04 Apr 09

My grandson was taught if a stranger grabbed you, you must scream and kick the person in the shins, so I asked him (just checking) what he would do if someone did that to him being three at the time, he replied he would scream and kick him in the nuts, not silly

farnarkler farnarkler 12:40 am 04 Apr 09

A paedophile or sex offender register can be a two edged sword. Such a thing exists in the UK and there have been quite a few mistaken identities which ended up with innocent men having the sh*t kicked out of them by the public taking matters into their own hands.

I wonder if martial arts schools will be inundated with new young students.

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 8:23 am 04 Apr 09

Now we just need an arrest, a prosecution, and a healthy sentence.

As the father of a beautiful young girl I ‘m more inclined to the belief that any sentence they get should be very unhealthy.

Am I alone in believing that if the person responsible looks anything like the identikit photo, then they should not be too hard to track down? May be being shielded?

Woody Mann-Caruso Woody Mann-Caruso 9:36 am 04 Apr 09

do you know the fear that this type of behaviour provokes in a parent?

I’m a parent of two small children and it doesn’t worry me at all. Our kids are more likely to be hurt or die in a car crash than at the hands of a stranger – much, much more likely – but I don’t freak out about putting them in a car. They’re even more likely to be hurt or die in an accident at home, but I’m not about to keep them locked in a padded room either.

Go read this book – it’s online for free, and it’s short. A quick quote (note these stats are for the UK):

“Around five to seven children a year are killed by strangers. Looking at children in
the 5 to 11 age range (who, as we saw in Chapter 1, have experienced a dramatic loss
of freedom, partly as a result of the fear of strangers), unpublished government figures
show that, on average, two primary schoolchildren are killed by strangers each year.

The Home Office data on which this second statistic is based gives the numbers and
ages of murder victims, aged under 16 years, killed by strangers in England and Wales
for each year between 1995 and 2004/5. It shows that in 1995 not a single child
between 5 and 11 was killed by a stranger. By contrast, in 2002/3 four children of
primary school age were killed by a stranger. But there is no trend: in each of the two
years following 2002/3 there was just one case. The annual figure changes randomly
throughout the 11-year period.

In fact, the figures have been at around their current level for decades. Precisely
because the crime is so rare, it can be stated with near certainty that there are no more
predatory child killers at large today than there were in 1990 or 1975. These statistics
categorically refute the dominant media message that dangerous, predatory strangers
represent a significant or growing threat to children.”

The book explains why it’s much, much better to teach your kids protective behaviours to apply in particular circumstances (as these brave little girls have done) rather than a blanket fear of stranger, 99.9999999999% of whom have kids’ best interests at heart and can help them when they’re in trouble.

BerraBoy68 BerraBoy68 10:25 am 04 Apr 09

WMC – I agree, as I said earlier, ‘be alert – not alarmed’. My kids never go out without my wife or I being nearby so I’m not worried for my kids so much. After much teaching on the subject, I also trust they know what to do if they do get lost while we are out or if they are approached by a stranger. They know that in such a case anything they can do to hurt the attacker and attract attention is allowed.

I’d just like to think if some poor kid does have this happen to them, they are able to run to the nearest house knowing that safety lies within.

Thumper Thumper 10:30 am 04 Apr 09

That maybe so Woody, but with three abduction attempts in such a short time it’s no wonder that parents are slightly apprehensive.

Woody Mann-Caruso Woody Mann-Caruso 10:40 am 04 Apr 09

Why? They’re not apprehensive about the number of kids who went into the emergency room last night for the million other things more likely to hurt or kill kids. It’s an irrational spiral of fear, and the only people who can stop it are parents.

Thumper Thumper 10:43 am 04 Apr 09

Agreed Woody, more kids will hurt themselves today falling off bikes, but abduction seems to have some sort of irrational fear for parents. Pretty much a parents worse nightmare. Percieved danger versus actual danger.

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 11:41 am 04 Apr 09

WMC, what are the statistcs for kids raped or abused by strangers?

I’m aware that most sexual abuse takes place within the extended family, but the chance of rape or abuse by strangers still exists.

Woody Mann-Caruso Woody Mann-Caruso 12:33 pm 04 Apr 09

Oh, definitely.

old canberran old canberran 1:05 pm 04 Apr 09

Thumper said :

Agreed Woody, more kids will hurt themselves today falling off bikes, but abduction seems to have some sort of irrational fear for parents. Pretty much a parents worse nightmare. Perceived danger versus actual danger.

Couldn’t agree more. There is a vast difference between some molester violating a little girl compared with her being injured in a car accident, both for the parent and the child.

deezagood deezagood 4:33 pm 04 Apr 09

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

I know that, logically, you are right Woody. I guess this abduction scenario just preys on every parent’s worse fear – to have your child taken away and for you to have no idea where they are or what they are going through. I think abduction by a stranger is far worse than an emergency room scenario, because of the ‘not knowing’/wondering aspect.

rosebud rosebud 5:42 pm 04 Apr 09

I think JB has a valid point re little girs being self aware enough and brave enough to attempt to fend off an attack. Too many parents and older people believe that kids should repect their elders simply because they have been on this earth longer. I totally disagree with this. A person only deserves respect if they earn it, regardless of age. This kind of blind deference to the status quo is an enabler of abuse. (Viva la revolucion!)

TAD TAD 6:13 pm 04 Apr 09

God you are all sheep.

This is a load of crap. The more media this gets, the more little girls will see the bogeyman attempting to abduct them from the street. Sit down with your daughters and “inform” them, then sure enough they will see the bogeyman as well.

What isn’t giving it away to you that this is rubbish? The caracature facefits? The different descriptions of the offenders and vehicles perhaps?

This is just like the drink spiking campaigns from a few years ago. Did anyone notice the massive drop in reported drink spinking incidents the moment the police and media stopped their education campaigns.

Anyway, it’s up to you. Keep scaring yourselves that boogeymen paedophiles are out to abduct your daughters if it makes you feel better.

rosebud rosebud 6:42 pm 04 Apr 09

TAD – you clearly aren’t a woman and have never been a child.

TAD TAD 7:33 pm 04 Apr 09

What’s the far more likely scenario

(And any connection between “Be alert, not alarmed” campaigns and sightings of foreigners photographing govts building and wearing backpacks on public transport is purely coincidental). I’m not trying to aggravate anyone, but think it’s silly that commenters are working themselves into lather over something that is clearly not actually happening.

imhotep imhotep 7:46 pm 04 Apr 09

TAD said :

(TAD)” God you are all sheep…this is a load of crap….what isn’t giving it away to you that this is rubbish?..caracature facefits…The different descriptions of the offenders…”

Oh, OK, thanks Chief Inspector.